Hey from California

Mike Bundrant

Hello all - what a great site this is...I didn't expect to find something this cool when I did a search on vegan body building...

My name is Mike Bundrant. I live in Hemet, CA (southern). For work I publish a community newspaper called Healthy Times...a local health and wellness journal....I'm trying to promote an integrated approach to wellness and bring local health practitioners and businesses together...its a fun little business.

Anyway - I started to get serious about my health when my father passed away due to complications from his diabetes....his last 6 months were awful. I've never personally witnessed someone suffer so much....he lost his toes, then his foot, then both legs...then he withered away and died from the infection that started in the ulcers on his feet. I witnessed the whole thing first hand.

My dad was someone who could always "pull a rabbit out of a hat" so to speak and make things work out...but not in the end....when his disease decided to take him...that was it. Its no joke. Tragic thing is that I believe it was all preventable if he had lived a healthy lifestyle - he knew this as well. Funny how knowing something intellectually is rarely enough.

At the time of his death in November I was 260 pounds (I'm 6' tall). Now I'm at 230....feels great and I have a ways to go. I've studied health starting with books by Paul Bragg - for 15 years...I've just been a little short on applying what I know. But now things are different.

I've been married to my wife, Sylvia for 16 years - we have 6 kids (we're LDS) and we're just living life to the extreme - lots to do....tons going on!

My goal is to become leaner and more energetic...and feel more mentally clear. About being a Vegan - I am not one...yet...but leaning heavily in that direction. I feel like I need to be...because I believe it pleases God and it would be really good for me too....I think it would help with the burnout I experience and give me a greater zest for life...and as far as animals go....I think I have a responsibility not to eat them if I don't have to....if there were no crops available and I had to go hunt in the forest for food, I would....but there is an abundance of plant life available!

More specifically on the goal - I want to get my body fat percentage down from the current 23% to around .....say 10%...? I'm not sure about this one. What should it be? Basically I want to be lean but I won't be competing as a body builder...I am more interested in optimal health, energy and longevity...so what % should I shoot for? I know it is lower than where I'm at...I'm guessing between 10 and 15%.

I exercise 5 times per week. Cardio (intense) for 40 minutes every day and resistnace training (light) 3 days per week.

That's where I'm at...sorry if this post is a bit long. I'd appreciate any feedback on my goals or other comments anyone may have.

I appreciate the photos of everyone on the site...

Mike

Hey Mike!

Welcome to the site. I'll have to write later. I just got back from Portland and now it is after 1AM and I'm quite tired. I performed stand up comedy but it did not go very well tonight

I'm glad you enjoy the site, it has been around for 3 years and this NEW forum for somewhere around 15 weeks.

Have a great day and thanks again for being part of our group.

-Robert

Robert - Stand up in Portland, huh? It takes guts to get up there at all. I used to live in Forest Grove...about 25 miles west of Portland....great place - beautiful.

I'm actually in Tokyo right now...I work teaching psychology over here for 6 weeks every year...we're 16 hours ahead of you so it is 5 p.m. here now.

Anyway - thanks for the reply and I look forward to hearing more feedback.

Mike

Welcome. As it turns out, I live in Redlands, CA. Not so far from you at all. Coincidentally, I'm an aspiring writer working on an BA in English. I'd love to check out a copy of your paper.

Regards,

Jason

Hey Jason, thanks for the welcome....send me an email with your mailing address and I will have a copy of Healthy Times sent to you. My email is [email protected].

-Mike

Hi Mike!

Welcome and thanks for the detailed introduction!

Concerning bodyfat: you've already achieved a good weight loss. What percentage the goal is... don't be fixed on numbers. If you're satisfied with what the mirror shows, feel good and can hold it without too much effort, that's the right %!

Welcome again and see you,

D.

Hello all - what a great site this is...I didn't expect to find something this cool when I did a search on vegan body building...

Mike

Wordlife, I am still surprised at the level of interest and size of the community. Although I guess in many people's opinion I am not a 'body builder', I am interested in gaining muscle size and definition, whilst on a vegan diet. For me, veganism and weight training are unrelated*, and just different sides of what I want to do. But regardless, I didn't think there would be this many people who have the same kind of life-style. I was surprised there was even a single website

*although it is kind of my mish (mission) to get into good physical condish (condition), to be able to show people that veganism isn't unhealthy and that you can get buff without meat and stuff

Hi Mike!

I am SO SORRY about your father and his suffering. I HATE seeing sufering. period. May you find comfort in the happier memories and in the thought that he isnt suffering anymore.

Your reasons for wanting to go vegan are right on....I commend you for having the insight to realize all that you have realized, and we are here to help you achieve both your vegan and your fitness goals.

Welcome!

P.S. Lots of people from here live close to you I think!

BUt not me

Hi Mike!

I am SO SORRY about your father and his suffering. I HATE seeing sufering. period. May you find comfort in the happier memories and in the thought that he isnt suffering anymore.

Your reasons for wanting to go vegan are right on....I commend you for having the insight to realize all that you have realized, and we are here to help you achieve both your vegan and your fitness goals.

Welcome!

P.S. Lots of people from here live close to you I think!

BUt not me

Witnessing someone else's suffering first hand is such a powerful experience. In this case - and I don't mean to sound twisted here - I will always be grateful that I witnessed his suffering (given that he was going to suffer no matter what) because it taught me more than any words could ever have.

At this point I am making a real connection betwen my daily choices and the status of my long term health.

I'm still a little hesistant about going totally Vegan....I think I just need to keep easing into it.

Going vegan is like getting into a hot bath. If you just put your foot in, then it feels too warm, but once you get in, it's actually very nice. Of course you have to realise that this is a metaphor, because you can't really put your foot into veganism. Also veganism isn't 'hot' or 'cold'.

Going vegan is like getting into a hot bath. If you just put your foot in, then it feels too warm, but once you get in, it's actually very nice. Of course you have to realise that this is a metaphor, because you can't really put your foot into veganism. Also veganism isn't 'hot' or 'cold'.

After reading your post I went and actually took a nice, hot bath. It was very nice and relaxing. In Japan where I'm at right now they have these really deep bathtubs.....I'm still a little hesistant about becoming totally vegan, though....so I'm still not sure what you mean.

Mike it is great to have you on this site. Paul Bragg is certainly an amazing man and has published some great books. Have you read Miracle of Fasting? That really had a profound effect on me. Also, it is nice to have another person on board who feels that it is pleasing to God to live a more compassionate and spiritual life through a more compassionate and spiritual diet...and one that is full of health benefits as God intended. I think you said it best about why veganism is so great, "I feel like I need to be...because I believe it pleases God and it would be really good for me too...." Thanks for joining! Talk to you soon, on here, I am sure.

Hi Mike,

YOu keep saying you are hesitant about going "fully" vegan. May I ask why? What are your currently eating that is non-vegan. and why are you hesitant on refraining from eating it?

YOU and DanDz are RIGHT ON. I beleive with my entire heart and soul that living kindly and mercifully, especially toward innocent and defenseless creatures, PLEASES God more than most Christians care to admit.

peace

Hi Mike,

YOu keep saying you are hesitant about going "fully" vegan. May I ask why? What are your currently eating that is non-vegan. and why are you hesitant on refraining from eating it?

I eat meat every once in a while socially - at a BBQ with friends for example. I haven't committed to just bringing a veggie burger or something...I also love cottage cheese.

As far as the "why" goes, I am glad you asked....I'm just scared to make the committment when it comes right down to it...that is the honest truth. But I believe it is the way to go...I've been studying alot over the last couple of days about my religion - where I turn so often in times of transiton - and there is no doubt in my mind that vegan is the correct way for me - am I a coward or what??

Mike it is great to have you on this site. Paul Bragg is certainly an amazing man and has published some great books. Have you read Miracle of Fasting?

Yeah, that was the first book of his that I read...I love his old-school style and amazing stories. I understand he died at the age of 94 in a body-surfing accident....

Hey Mike, if you are afraid of being vegan, maybe you can try doing it for just one day and see how it affects you? IE you will probably notice no effects at all, and see that there is nothing to be afraid of.

good idea. really good. I think I will just begin a day at a time. Thanks.

I eat meat every once in a while socially - at a BBQ with friends for example.

I know, I know.

I just think it is important to take our commitment to this lifestyle and to kindness to animals seriously. If we vegans cannot do so, then how can we expect anybody else to do so?

When we eat meat occasionally at such and such social gathering, then we send the message that it is - on some social level and for frivolous reasons - acceptable to kill and eat animals.

okay i'm done.

I just think it is important to take our commitment to this lifestyle and to kindness to animals seriously. If we vegans cannot do so, then how can we expect anybody else to do so?

When we eat meat occasionally at such and such social gathering, then we send the message that it is - on some social level and for frivolous reasons - acceptable to kill and eat animals.

okay i'm done.

Well said. Thank you.

:wink: I just think it is important to take our commitment to this lifestyle and to kindness to animals seriously. If we vegans cannot do so, then how can we expect anybody else to do so?

okay i'm done.

Well said. Thank you.

Welcome Mike. I am in Los Angeles, California. Glad to see another Californian on this board. I am glad to hear that you believe that it pleases God, because that was one of the biggest motivaters that made me change to Vegan overnight.

I am also sad to hear about your fathers suffering. Gives us a first hand perspective that suffering is no laughing matter, especially how you mentioned how he couldn't do it on this one.

As for your weight loss, congratulations! I am actually trying to gain weight. I was at 175 to 280 but I am now 265 because my diet has been going really low these past two weeks. Going to get it back in gear tomorrow.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. We have several certified personal trainers on this board and a lot of knowledgable people that should be personal trainers hehe.