vegan runner from Canada

marathonmike

Hey everyone, my name is Mike Winnemuller. I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba but I currently live in Grande Prairie, Alberta. I'm a marathoner and I also do some shorter road races as well. I've been vegan since 1993. I'm currently training hard for my next marathon which I'm planning for next June in my hometown. I've run 4 full marathons and about 10 half marathons (I've lost track on how many of those I've ran). I've done probably close to 30 - 10 km. races and about 10 - 5 km. races. I also did my first triathlon earlier this summer. My goals for the near future is to break 3 hours on my next marathon and qualify for Boston. It's been about 3 years since I've last done a full. I ran a 1:30 half marathon last summer (my PR). I work alot during the summer and still manage to put on 60-80 kms. per week around my 70 hour a week work schedule. I'll have alot more time in the winter when I move back to Winnipeg and continue my schooling. Once I qualify and run the Boston Marathon, I'd like to get more into triathlons. I currently swim twice a week and usually do about 30-40 laps (1500-2000 meters) each swim. I'm going to buy a good road bike next summer and get more into that (if I have time). I'm about a 50% raw food vegan. I've been trying hard this summer to get my body pH level more alkaline. I find I have alot more energy when I eat more raw. I used to be a really unhealthy vegan (as compared to how I am now). I used to weigh close to 200 lbs but now I'm a much leaner and more muscular 170 lbs. Take it easy everyone and good luck with your training or whatever you do!

Welcome to the group! Wow, you sound really busy and train a lot! It reminds me of my friend Brendan Brazier, who is also Canadian and a marathon running and triathlete. Also a vegan since the mid 90's and a cool lean 170

Great to have you here on our board of vegan athletes. I'm sure you'll have fun and meet some cool people.

All the best and welcome aboard!