What To Eat, When to Fast

Chickpea

Hello Folks!! I am new in this forum and thought I had it together. After working at a health food shoppe and 90 different people giving me their spin on what's important in one's diet, I come to this forum confused and seeking a vegan lifestyle.

I believe vegan works better than vegetarian because my cholestrol levels soared this week after being on a vegetarian diet for a year and a half. I just don't get it. My present Total Cholesterol is 272, HDL 69 and LDL 179. I was shocked to say the least when given the report but whatever, I am here to learn more and to improve my health.

I fast 2 days a week (Wed & Fri) on wheat bread, vegan spread and black tea 3x's a day. The rest of the week I eat a variety foods such as breakfast: oatmeal, pb & j, oj, tea, cold cereals, wheat bagels & bread, vegan spread, soy milk. Lunches: grilled veggie cheese sandwiches, salads with seeds and nuts, vegan chilli, lentil soup, etc. And for Dinners, mainly recipe made stuff such as vegan shepard's pie made with tofu, veggie lasanga, pasta dishes with soy meatballs, hummus, hummus and hummus with wheat pitas and salads, etc.

So if any of you can help me, I will record my daily diet and go from there as a start. Today is my fast day. Thanks, folks. ~ Chickpea

I think a raw fast might do the trick. I've always had really low cholestorol so its never been a problem for me but I think if you go on a raw diet for a couple weeks then add in normal vegan cooked food(if you want to) your number should drop drastically

Thanks, Veganpotter for your help!!

I will look into a raw fast within this forum. I am willing to change and want to embrace my life in a gentle manner to live well and be strong, not just for myself but for my family as well. ~ Chickpea

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its

full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does

not limit itself to mankind." ~~ Albert Schweitzer, philosopher, physician,

musician, Nobel laureate (1875-1965) ~~

Hi, Chickpea! Welcome to the forums!

Just looking at your diet, I see a few areas where you could change for the better.

First, the 'fast' is not really a fast. Wheat is an acid-forming food, causes mucus in the body, and is best not to eat a lot of. Eating it when 'fasting' kind of defeats the purpose.

"Fasting" is traditionally used to describe a short-term diet of either water or water and juices and possibly broths (so no solid foods are eaten during the time), though I also think you can get benefits from what I'lll call a 'relative fast": eating a step or two cleaner than you usually do.

If you're a vegetarian, going vegan would be that step. A vegan could do a raw-food diet for a period of time. A raw fooder could eat all fruits for a period of time.

As for your diet in general, I think you could benefit from replacing some grain products (most are acid forming) with veggies, especially green leafy veggies. Also, though they are indeed vegan, processed foods like vegan 'cheeses,; prepared boxed cereals and meat analogs are best in small quantities (though your diet looks very much like a good starting point, and is certainly better than the SAD).

For grains, stick with sprouted grain products (there are breads and hamburger buns and tortilla wraps that are made from sprouted grains) and eat more quinoa, buckwheat and millet (alkaline grains) than wheat, barley and rye.

Hello Kathryn,

Thank you so much for replying!!! I am appreciative of all that you wrote. I needed clarification on fasting. I tried a grapefruit fast about a year ago and I still can't drink grapefruit juice today LOL Yuck!! I purchased a fasting tea but haven't used it yet. I'll look through the forum for some fasting ideas. I did go out to RawFitness yesterday and saw so many different fasts, that I decided to leave a message for the pro's for any suggestions. I would like to start the best fast for me tommorrow so I will look there again. And I would like to continue using Wed. & Fri. as true fasting days during the week. I forgot all about the acid/alkaline balance in foods - thanks.

I agree with you on beginning a relative fast as I understand it - incorporating more vegan meals per day into my diet would move me faster in the direction of my goals (vegetarian to vegan), right? So I will begin recording my daily intake within my blogs to keep track and hopefully that will show my setbacks and my progress.

I will term the wheat in my diet for now and purchase more sprouted grain breads. I like millet but I didn't know that they had sprouted grain tortillas - I will look for them and be creative - good for wrapping greens or wrapping salads. Thanks for that inspiration, Kathryn.

You mentioned to eat more quinoa which I like quinoa but I only know one recipe that I use quinoa to stuff green peppers with and bake. They are pretty good for supper but can you used quinoa for other meals?

I will look for other recipes here and see what else some are using quinoa in recipes.

Kathryn, thank you so much again for your help. I am starting a good plan into wellness here "with a little help from my friends" - Beatles.

--------------------------------------------

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

- James Baldwin

Another kick butt way to make quinoa would be just how you make oatmeal. A little cinnamon, raisins, almonds(sprouted), and soy/rice/almond milk and you're good to go.

My mom also just eats quinoa like cereal. Put on some fresh fruit and soy milk. Really quick meal if you make it the night before(like i do).

Yet another more entree version of quinoa that i love is just putting some bruschetta or dried tomato on top. It's also very good with zuccini and olive oil and bruschetta.

I like quinoa but I only know one recipe that I use quinoa to stuff green peppers with and bake. They are pretty good for supper but can you used quinoa for other meals?

Quinoa makes a good pilaf or a good substitute for bulgar (cracked wheat) in tabouleh. You can also use it as a cereal for breakfast.

I've been making a lot of wraps lately for lunch ( have to have something quick to make). I make a batch of hummus (or a mock 'chicken or the egg" type garbanzo spread) or black bean spread or lentil spread (I've been experimenting, and have to work on the lentil one a bit!) with various veggies and greens, wrapped in a sprouted grain tortill (Food for LIfe brand). My first one was a bit messy, and bursting at the seams, but I'm getting much better at it!

Looking at your diet, you are probably eating a lot of fat. The majority of the items you listed (spread, meat analog, tofu) are very high in fat. If your diet is as you wrote above, it might be 40% to 50% fat. Your cholesterol is near a dangerous level, and your Total to HDL ratio is pretty high (usually want it around 2.5, yours is near 4.) Your high cholesterol is likely due to the high fat intake.

Try to cut down on the processed "fats" (tofu, spreads, meat analog, vegan cheeses - some of those like the cheeses are pure fat.) Eat more whole vegetables and grains. Eat whole fruit through out the day, maybe 4 servings or so. Eat a large plate of dark green leafy vegetables (some here might disagree but do not add oil to it.)

Try to eat some meals centered around high starches like rice or potatoes, both are very satisfying, with 3 or 4 servings of whole vegetables of your choice. This will be much more filling than high "fat" foods because it is much more volume.

For example, a few days a week at work, I eat a plate full of vegetables, with a plentiful serving of a starch (usually either potatoes or corn or both) a very low fat soup and two or three pieces of whole wheat and rye bread. On those days I fill much more satisfied than days when I eat about the same calories in a high "fat" lunch like avocados. The former fill my stomach much more and gets into my blood faster, satisfying me, whereas the latter fill much less of the stomach, even though the same amount of calories and takes longer to enter my blood (so my body and brain are still craving calories

So to iterate, my advice is for you to try to cut your fat intake (read the labels, for example most tofu is around 40 to 50% fat), especially the processed sources (meat analogs), then substitute those calories with ones from whole vegetables and whole starches and whole fruits. Also, nothing wrong with nuts but they are almost all fat, so eat sparingly (like a small handful in a whole day, at most.)

Your body’s main need for fat is for the metabolism of some micro nutrients (some vitamins are fat or need fat to be absorbed) and fatty acids but your body does not need the amount you are getting. I would give up the processed fat sources (the fake meats, cheeses etc. and even oils) and get your fat from limited intake of whole fat sources such as nuts and avocados, coconuts etc. Also a good source I just found that might have a near perfect macro nutrient profile, is goji berries. They are about 12 to 14% protein, 15% fat and the rest carbohydrates.

You mentioned to eat more quinoa which I like quinoa but I only know one recipe that I use quinoa to stuff green peppers with and bake. They are pretty good for supper but can you used quinoa for other meals?

I will look for other recipes here and see what else some are using quinoa in recipes.

Quinoa is technically a seed, although unlike mostseeds, its fat content is low, but it cooks and serves as rice does. I eat Quinoa one or two or times a week, just as I eat rice. I just prepare it and place it on a plate with other items. I eat beans with it sometimes and sometimes mixed vegetables. Being female you might not have problems but for men, quinoa's high iron content can be a problem if you eat it with other high iron sources, like beans. For example, if I eat quinoa and beans two days in a row, I will get a headache, just as I did once when I tried taking an iron supplement, for a few days.

Note: rinse it well and it will be more fluffy and taste less bitter.

Kathryn, Thank you so much!! I will look for the sprouted grain tortill and look into some spreads although what I am gathering, most spreads are made with oils. Not good for me right now, I think. I have 2 months to make a major change in my cholestral. The doctor wants to recheck my bloodwork in 2 months. If my counts are not reduced, she wants to add lifetime meds. I believe diet and exercise is everything.

And Yes, I did try the quinoa for breakfast and it was awesome too!!! Thank you for the suggestion. Even my husband liked it. I like the changes already. Thanks again, my friend.

Looking at your diet, you are probably eating a lot of fat. The majority of the items you listed (spread, meat analog, tofu) are very high in fat. If your diet is as you wrote above, it might be 40% to 50% fat. Your cholesterol is near a dangerous level, and your Total to HDL ratio is pretty high (usually want it around 2.5, yours is near 4.) Your high cholesterol is likely due to the high fat intake.

Try to cut down on the processed "fats" (tofu, spreads, meat analog, vegan cheeses - some of those like the cheeses are pure fat.) Eat more whole vegetables and grains. Eat whole fruit through out the day, maybe 4 servings or so. Eat a large plate of dark green leafy vegetables (some here might disagree but do not add oil to it.)

Try to eat some meals centered around high starches like rice or potatoes, both are very satisfying, with 3 or 4 servings of whole vegetables of your choice. This will be much more filling than high "fat" foods because it is much more volume.

For example, a few days a week at work, I eat a plate full of vegetables, with a plentiful serving of a starch (usually either potatoes or corn or both) a very low fat soup and two or three pieces of whole wheat and rye bread. On those days I fill much more satisfied than days when I eat about the same calories in a high "fat" lunch like avocados. The former fill my stomach much more and gets into my blood faster, satisfying me, whereas the latter fill much less of the stomach, even though the same amount of calories and takes longer to enter my blood (so my body and brain are still craving calories

So to iterate, my advice is for you to try to cut your fat intake (read the labels, for example most tofu is around 40 to 50% fat), especially the processed sources (meat analogs), then substitute those calories with ones from whole vegetables and whole starches and whole fruits. Also, nothing wrong with nuts but they are almost all fat, so eat sparingly (like a small handful in a whole day, at most.)

Your body’s main need for fat is for the metabolism of some micro nutrients (some vitamins are fat or need fat to be absorbed) and fatty acids but your body does not need the amount you are getting. I would give up the processed fat sources (the fake meats, cheeses etc. and even oils) and get your fat from limited intake of whole fat sources such as nuts and avocados, coconuts etc. Also a good source I just found that might have a near perfect macro nutrient profile, is goji berries. They are about 12 to 14% protein, 15% fat and the rest carbohydrates.

Thanks, 9nines!!! So I made a list of some of your suggestions for now to apply to my diet. After reading through, I felt this was in order for me to reduce my cholestral with your help...

No cheeses of any kind to reduce my cholesterol.

No spreads or oils. Less meat analogs.

4 servings of fresh fruit a day and add more whole veggies and greens.

Nuts, only about a small handful in a whole day.

Goji berries are a good source: 12% to 14% protein, 15% fat and the rest carbs.

Thanks for all your help, 9nines!! You are awesome!!

---------------------------------------

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.

- Chinese Proverb

If you are facing a situation of medications or changing your cholesterol form diet, please go to this message forum for help.

Dr. McDougall’s (MD, internal medicine) specialty is your exact situation. Posters on that forum are very knowledgeable and many were in your same situations. Plus he daily reads the forum and will respond, if he can add advice.

Sorry to repeat a link (I put it in another post for you) but your situation is tailor made for his help:

http://www.vegsource.com/mcdougall/index.html

Let the forum know your situation (facing medication) and you will get much good advice in short order, from many people that were and are, in your exact situation.

Edited by 9nines

Quinoa is technically a seed, although unlike mostseeds, its fat content is low, but it cooks and serves as rice does. I eat Quinoa one or two or times a week, just as I eat rice. I just prepare it and place it on a plate with other items. I eat beans with it sometimes and sometimes mixed vegetables. Being female you might not have problems but for men, quinoa's high iron content can be a problem if you eat it with other high iron sources, like beans. For example, if I eat quinoa and beans two days in a row, I will get a headache, just as I did once when I tried taking an iron supplement, for a few days.

Note: rinse it well and it will be more fluffy and taste less bitter.

9nines, thanks you so much for sharing this piece about quinoa. After reading through I decided to eat quinoa in moderation and mainly with foods that have less iron for balance. I am not a big "iron" person and actually I can't take vit. with added iron. Some vits are ok but not ones with extra iron. I too experience illness and have an adverse buildup. So much thanks in sharing indeed. And I didn't know about the rinse - I will try it. I rinse rice but never thought to rinse quinoa - thanks, my friend.

I think a raw fast might do the trick. I've always had really low cholestorol so its never been a problem for me but I think if you go on a raw diet for a couple weeks then add in normal vegan cooked food(if you want to) your number should drop drastically

Thanks, veganpotter!! I looked into some fasts and I have decided to continue a 2 day fast once a week but switch up to fresh fruit juice in the am and then pm some veg broth. I will be going back to the doctors in 2 months for my 2nd cholestral bloodwork. Over the next few weeks I will learn more and most likely have the knowledge to go ahead with a planned raw fast. I hope that too will add a dramatic change in the numbers. Thanks again, my friend.

I had raw quinoa with excess guspacho and it was incredible...highly reccommended

Thanks, veganpotter!! I looked up a great gaspacho recipe and posted it on my blog. I am going to try your suggestion with quinoa. I am finding out that quinoa takes on the best flavor of peppers, cinnimon and tomatoes, not all together thou LOL!! So I am looking forward to trying this recipe - I will let you know what i think. Thanks again.

Another kick butt way to make quinoa would be just how you make oatmeal. A little cinnamon, raisins, almonds(sprouted), and soy/rice/almond milk and you're good to go.

My mom also just eats quinoa like cereal. Put on some fresh fruit and soy milk. Really quick meal if you make it the night before(like i do).

Yet another more entree version of quinoa that i love is just putting some bruschetta or dried tomato on top. It's also very good with zuccini and olive oil and bruschetta.

pelicanAndrew, you are awesome!!! Thank you so much for replying. I made the best quinoa for breakfast ever today thanks to you!!! And your mom!! My husband really liked the quinoa better than oatmeal!! We both did actually!! I made extra to try it cold tomorrow morning. And found a great recipe on bruschetta. I am going to the grocer's today and picking up some extra stuff. I'll let you know how I make out with the new recipe. And I'll pick up some zuccini too!! Thanks again, my friend.

Edited by Chickpea

If you are facing a situation of medications or changing your cholesterol form diet, please go to this message forum for help.

Dr. McDougall’s (MD, internal medicine) specialty is your exact situation. Posters on that forum are very knowledgeable and many were in your same situations. Plus he daily reads the forum and will respond, if he can add advice.

Sorry to repeat a link (I put it in another post for you) but your situation is tailor made for his help:

http://www.vegsource.com/mcdougall/index.html

Let the forum know your situation (facing medication) and you will get much good advice in short order, from many people that were and are, in your exact situation.

Thanks again, 9nines!! I have tagged this site and I will look at it more closely. I am not sure if I mentioned it to you but I will be going back in 2 months for more lab work. The doctor is concerned and wants to put me on meds but has agreed to let me work this out through diet and exercise. And I am taking a closer look at everything I eat. I know I was bad in 2 meals out of 6 but that is what I am trying to correct. McDougall site looks awesome and I am not surprise that many my age are facing the same cholestrol problems if they live in the US. I will keep posting my changes in my blog to journal the progress. Thank you so much again, my friend.

I like quinoa with cinnamon...I often just put in quinoa what I would put in my couscous minus the onions...I can't eat too many raw onions unless they are lousy onions

... most spreads are made with oils. Not good for me right now, I think.

If you have a food processor, you can make your own spreads and control the amount of oil. I throw some red onion and garlic in, dice it up, add a drained and rinsed can of garbanzos, some seasoning (salt, sometimes poultry seasoning and nutritional yeast) and process it up. No oil added.

Also, black beans with onion, garlic and tomato (try dried tomatoes, soaked for an hour) with mexican spices is a good one.

Hi there Chickpea. I am fairly new here also. I noticed you are from So. Fl. I must be a little bit north of you. I am vegetarian and making the transition to vegan now. I haven't had my cholesterol checked in awhile and I know if it is high it will drop down. I think maybe I should get it checked now just to know how much of an improvement I am making.

I would add more fruits and green veggies. The raw foods will help tremendously. I try to stay away from any processed foods. Actually I have read that some oils such as olive oil, flax seed etc... are good at lowering y our LDL levels.

Glad you are here.