Coca Cola Zero

GGreen

Asparatame in sodas actually stimulates appetite. Many nutritional researchers are saying that there is as much or greater link with obesity and consumption of asparatame as there is with sugar. In Japan, artificial sweeteners are not allowed in beverages so Coke manufactures them with stevia instead--a natural sugar substitute from a Paraguayan plant species that the FDA has attempted to ban from the U.S. working on behalf of the sugar lobby. The FDA even attempted to burn all books written about stevia years ago, unbelievable as that may sound. To this day, stevia can not be sold under the heading of "sweetener".

That having been said, I don't drink sodas anyway as they are a completely useless non-nutritive food, consisting of artificial colors and flavorings, with some containing phosphate. Malted battery acid? No thanks...

That having been said, I don't drink sodas anyway as they are a completely useless non-nutritive food, consisting of artificial colors and flavorings, with some containing phosphate. Malted battery acid? No thanks...

I agree. With the exception of an occasional health-food-store soda, I avoid them.

The only slightly beneficial aspect of sodas is hydration, but plain water does it better that this chemical stew!

Also, high fructose corn sweetener is used in a lot of non-diet sodas, and it's something that should be avoided (it doesn't signal the body that you are consuming calories, and also stimulates the appetite).

Also, high fructose corn sweetener is used in a lot of non-diet sodas, and it's something that should be avoided

Agreed. I steer completely away from this stuff and see to it that my 5 year old has minimal exposure to HFCS. If the products I buy are not sweetened with xylitol, stevia, agave nectar or fructo-oligosaccharides I basically leave it be. I can handle a few grams of table sugar, malted barley syrup, etc. found in things like Health Valley cereals, bars and the like, but that's about it.

What really amazes me is how many people think that Splenda is natural and what a great alternative to Nutrasweet it is. Sort of the way NS supplanted saccharine for similar reasons, I suppose.

I'm waiting for stevia sodas...not that I'll ever drink them but I'd try. I like flat cola and root beer but have only had one soda in a year(at proper eats in Portland...and it was organic and handmade)...but if they got rid of the high fructose corn syrup(alot of expensive companies have done this) and used stevia while lowering the carbonation I'd probably drink soda more often(maybe one or two a week)

One gains weight from drinking all sodas. Why? what is soda anyway? it's water, and a whole bunch of acids.

When there is an excessive amount of acid in our body, what it does is store it in fat cells until it can eliminate the toxins.

You want to lose weight? substitute acid forming foods with alkaline forming foods; not all mind you, you don't want to create an inbalance in the opposite direction.

Sounds like a valid theory?

It's the aspartame. It raises the set point.

In other words, if you drink regular pop you get fat because of the calories but if you drink diet you get fat because of the raised set point.

Where did you read this? Is there a study published somewhere? That's wild!

What really amazes me is how many people think that Splenda is natural and what a great alternative to Nutrasweet it is.

Ah, the power of advertising! If a lot of people think of Splenda as 'natural" (about as natural as some plastics made from soy are!), it's all thanks to their being bombarded with the "tastes like sugar, because it's made from sugar" ads. (Funny, they don't say anything about the chlorine!)

I'm waiting for stevia sodas...not that I'll ever drink them but I'd try. I like flat cola and root beer but have only had one soda in a year(at proper eats in Portland...and it was organic and handmade)...but if they got rid of the high fructose corn syrup(alot of expensive companies have done this) and used stevia while lowering the carbonation I'd probably drink soda more often(maybe one or two a week)

They do exist, but not in regular stores.

I occasionally wil buy a stevia-sweetened soda at the health food store (they have green tea and orange or strawberry).

Oh, and what about 7-Up NATURAL? (they consider HFCS as natural!)

Thanks for that link. This excerpt from the article is what I find particularly alarming:

METHANOL (AKA WOOD ALCOHOL/POISON) (10% OF ASPARTAME)

Methanol/wood alcohol is a deadly poison. Some people may remember methanol as the poison that has caused some "skid row" alcoholics to end up blind or dead. Methanol is gradually released in the small intestine when the methyl group of aspartame encounter the enzyme chymotrypsin.

The absorption of methanol into the body is sped up considerably when free methanol is ingested. Free methanol is created from aspartame when it is heated to above 86 Fahrenheit (30 Centigrade). This would occur when aspartame-containing product is improperly stored or when it is heated (e.g., as part of a "food" product such as Jello).

Methanol breaks down into formic acid and formaldehyde in the body. Formaldehyde is a deadly neurotoxin. An EPA assessment of methanol states that methanol "is considered a cumulative poison due to the low rate of excretion once it is absorbed. In the body, methanol is oxidized to formaldehyde and formic acid; both of these metabolites are toxic." The recommend a limit of consumption of 7.8 mg/day. A one-liter (approx. 1 quart) aspartame-sweetened beverage contains about 56 mg of methanol. Heavy users of aspartame-containing products consume as much as 250 mg of methanol daily or 32 times the EPA limit.(9)