Plant-based Protein Powders/When is a good time?

Chickpea

I was using a few protein powders a few months back and was wondering if they would be good to add to my daily intake within the transistion between vegetarian to vegan? I was alternating bewteen "Alive" (soy base) and "Rainbow Light" (rice base) powder mixes as protein sources. Alive has a multi-vit. and great greens. I felt great when using the products but lost interest when I began relative fasting. Then later, I went back to the powder drinks using then as a fasting drink which may have been a bad idea. They didn't sustain the energy I needed to complete any workout program and I just felt tired. So then I used them at night only after a workout to rebuild protein but my energy levels soared. I believe the products are great but I think I was using them for the right reasons, just are wrong times? Anyone have any thoughts... thanks!!

--------------------------

"Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within."

- James Baldwin

I don't bother with protein powders. I just eat several different types of beans every day and I get plenty of protein

Hi willpeavy!! Thank you for responding!! Why do you eat different types of beans every day? For a variety of flavor & protein or does each bean type bring a unique nutritional value of protein to your daily intake? Just wondering and learning more... ~ Chickpea

--------------------------------

There is no freedom for man so long as he has not overcome his fear of death. - Albert Camus (1913-1960) - French Writer - Notebook IV Jan. 1942- Sept. 1945

After workout is always good. I have one in the morning as well.

Hello CollegeB!!! Thank you for responding! I am new to blogging LOL, can't you tell Well anyways, I appreciate your kindness and sharing. I like the thought of not depending on a mfg co to supply any nutritional value but I must admit the powder drinks do help when applied properly. I am looking to learn new ways like willpeavy and others when it comes to selecting a few great food items for the day and live well. And letting go the fear of not surviving would help also LOL.

After a workout is a good suggestion and makes sense so the body can start rebuilding muscle tissue. And in the morning makes sense after 8 hrs of sleep to bring up the energy and replenish nourishment. Thank you for your help, CB!!! ~ Chickpea

----------------------------------------

There’s one word that describes baseball - ‘You never know.’

- Joquin Andujar

I like to have a protein smoothie in the morning, because I'm a lazy breakfast maker (and like to sleep in!). I used to do a soy-based protein, but I've become a bit wary of isolate and concentrated soy (some research has shown a possible negative effect of soy, but that research was done on isolates or concentrates, not real soy 'foods'). Since I gave it up, I've noticed I digest things better!

I first went to "Vegan COmplete," a rice/pea based vegan protein powder with added vitamins and minerals. Then, after dong some reading about it, I started using more hemp protein powder. Hemp protein is an excellent type of protein, very assimilable and complete. I used to do my own mish-mosh of hemp protein, frozen fruit, and maca powder in juice, but now I often use Vega meal replacement, with some frozen fruits, in rice milk.

Yeah I eat a variety mainly because they have different nutrients. For example, look at the nutrients in kidney beans http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c217J.html

and compare that to the nutrients in soy beans http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-B00001-01c219s.html

WOW!!! Thanks WP!!! That was an awesome comparision of beans. I was amazed to see what differences there are between kidney and soy beans. Now I know why many are seeking biofuels (biodiesel) in soy, ay? LOL Awesome stuff!!!

I do look at ingridients but never really thought to compare beans. I have only been interested in the nutritional results of combos like - rice & beans, etc. I tagged the sites as favs and will continue to use them as a tool. And I found it interesting that Vit K was in Kidney beans too but LOL easy to remember that from now on. The Amino Acids changed and I can see why you would want to bring up the intake on certain workout days and back off on others day. I will learn the right program for me too over time. We are all different and changing moment to moment, ay?

And both had Zinc & Selenium in both which we also need in small doses too. Soy sure is a miracle food - we could feed the whole planet with soy and end world poverty for good if only some were listening and investing the big $$ into such a beautiful plan. Maybe someday, ay? Thank you so much for these great tools, WP!!

And Thank you for responding to question.

~ Chickpea

-----------------------------------------------

"The secret of success is constancy of purpose."

- Benjamin Disraeli

I like to have a protein smoothie in the morning, because I'm a lazy breakfast maker (and like to sleep in!). I used to do a soy-based protein, but I've become a bit wary of isolate and concentrated soy (some research has shown a possible negative effect of soy, but that research was done on isolates or concentrates, not real soy 'foods'). Since I gave it up, I've noticed I digest things better!

I first went to "Vegan COmplete," a rice/pea based vegan protein powder with added vitamins and minerals. Then, after dong some reading about it, I started using more hemp protein powder. Hemp protein is an excellent type of protein, very assimilable and complete. I used to do my own mish-mosh of hemp protein, frozen fruit, and maca powder in juice, but now I often use Vega meal replacement, with some frozen fruits, in rice milk.

Thanks, Kathryn for all your help - You are awesome, woman!!

Yes, I have heard a lot about soy products but you were right before - you mentioned to use in small doses!! In the beginning of my switch over from SAD to veggie, I ate soy at almost every meal and became backed up and sick. I wasn't feeling well at all and as I backed off the soy - I began to feel better. But because of my protein issues, I would go back on the soy every night and get sick again - way too much soy for me. So I did a fast of soy for about a month and then reintroduced soy into my diet about 2-3x's in one week and everything started to work out better for me. I was getting the protein partially from soy and others such as rice/beans, rice milk. So I learned the word "moderation" LOL the hard way and tossed out the all or nothing attitude so now I enjoy soy in small doses. I will look more into the differences between isolate and concentrated as I find the research interesting at times.

And Kathryn, I will look into "Vegan COmplete" - I don't remember that name but I do have the Hemp Powder - OMG, girl - wow can you drink that stuff? I spent a small fortune on it and I couldn't drink it. LOL But I will look for some good recipes because I really didn't know how to prepare it and the recipe they had listed, well - yuk!! LOL I might as well try to find a good recipe to do a body good and not let it go bad, ay?

And I will look into "Vega" meal replacement. OMGosh!! There is so much more available then when I was first interested in becoming a vegan almost 2 years ago!!! And I am glad too!! Thank you so much again Kathryn for taking the time to post. I appreciate your vegan gifts of sharing. ~ Chickpea

----------------------------------------------------

"Just as your car runs more smoothly and requires less energy to go faster and farther when the wheels are in perfect alignment, you perform better when your thoughts, feelings, emotions, goals, and values are in balance."

- Brian Tracy

In my not so humble opinion, protein powders -- any form of isolated protein, really -- are a waste of time. So are most multivitamins. You can get almost all your nutrients from different varieties of plant-based foods, fruit and vegetables being the two most vital to your health, and you could get all of them if you have access to good, healthy soil where you can grow your food (vit. B-12 will be absorbed into a plant's matter and fruit if you have healthy soil with a good supply of vit. B-12), but, to keep anyone from jumping on me, taking a multivitamin occasionally is a good way to make sure that you get enough of that.

The reason why protein isolates are nutritionally deficit is because they are JUST PROTEIN. There's nothing else! There's no phytochemicals, plant sterols, antioxidants or anything of actual value to your body; your body can't store protein, it will just piss away all the extra -- which means anything more than you would get just eating an unprocessed vegan diet. And that protein, m'dear, ends up in your kidneys, and turns into kidney stones. Those kidney stones may take a lot more time to form than they would on a non-vegan diet, but trust me, they will be there.

So, in summary, don't waste your money or your time. Eat at least two cups of beans a day and go about with an unprocessed diet and you'll be golden.

Like Kathyrn, I'm really sold on hemp as my source of high quality protein. Hemp consists of two-thirds globular edistin protein (some say the most digestible and usable protein there is) and one third of the albumin type. When you consider that you get a perfect 1:4 ratio of Omegas 3:6 to boot, you're really getting an incredible nutritional bang for the buck. I routinely make hemp milk with my Vita-Mix--it's sensational in taste and texture!

I do have the Hemp Powder - OMG, girl - wow can you drink that stuff? I spent a small fortune on it and I couldn't drink it.

I tried several hemp protein powders before finding one I liked. I don't know why there is a difference in taste, but Nutiva tastes the best, IMO. They have protein powder, hemp 'nuts" (good sprinkled on salads) and smoothie mixes (lower in hemp, with added sugar, but also added things like açai and maca). You can order directly from www.nutiva.com , and orders over $30 (I think) are free shipping.

I always mix the hemp protein powder in with frozen fruits and/or juice.

I suggest you take the stuff you have, and add it to a brownie recipe (maybe substituting some flour with hemp, but not too much). The chocolate will help hide the flavor, and the powder won't be going to waste. Then pick up some nutiva to add to smoothies.

My favorite place to purchase hemp is from a restaurant in NYC: http://www.galaxyglobaleatery.com/ They sell 1 lb packages of hempnuts for $5.25

Thanks, Michael!!!! That is an awesome site!! I tagged it as another FAV. Alot of great stuff out there. I am going to try a few smoothies and if I am doing well with the hemp this time around, then I will for sure add more to my diet. Hemp is awesome anyways and as for a green lifestyle... we should have ben investing in hemp 2 years ago saving more trees!! I am a tree-hugger at heart!! Thanks again, my friend!!

Chickpea,

You're very welcome. The folks at Galaxy Global Eatery are great people and one day I hope to dine at their restaurant. This is actually their mainstay in business--selling hemp on the side at wholesale+ is their way of spreading the good word. I typically purchase the 5 lb. bucket of shelled hempnuts. I had a wonderful phone conversation with one of the employees once. He remarked about how they have actually hosted VIP dinners for many of the Washington bigwigs.

So how about it Congress? Allowing a handful of N. Dakota farmers to grow hemp is not enough--let's get with the rest of the industrialized world!