dark eye circles

kuramus

i was wondering that if anyone has found out what causes dark circles to appear under the eyes... even if i sleep enough, i have them, so i can't say why is that, maybe some vitamin deficiency? and also i have red eyes which get watery very often... again some deficiency except sleep?

Are you pale skinned? Dark circles can also be hereditary (mine are for the most part), and due to blood pooling in the area below the eye, which has very thin skin. If you are already pale, this shows a lot (I even have a photo of me a few hours old, and I have dark circles! Thanks, mom!)

There are some products in with vitamin K that supposedly help strengthen the capilaries in this area and reduce darkness. I'm trying one right now, but so far haven't seen much results (a little, but not enough: I could be an extra in a zombie movie with not much additional makeup!) I always just cover them with a concealer.

Of course, whatever darkness you may have will be exacerbated by lack of sleep, allergies, and the other things that were mentioned.

I've also seen it said that dark undereye circles can be a sign of kidney problems.

ETA: I just reread your post, and the combo of the dark circles and the watery eyes makes me think it's at least partly due to allergies of some kind.

I'm not sure what the problem might be....

.... do you punch yourself in the face habitually ?

... or might ninja have been attacking you as you sleep, only to be defeated and sent fleeing in response to your ultra-swift sleep-reflexes and sleep ass-kicking (of which you have no recollection, in the morning) ?

Maybe you could try throwing Caltraps down around your bed before you go to sleep, for say perhaps a week to begin with, to see if it makes any difference ?

?

kuramus, how long have you been vegan? I ask because, if you were on a high-protein diet (meats and dairy), it is notorious for causing dark circles as well as other more serious issues. It ultimately stems from stressing the kidneys and dehydration, as I understand it.

The suggestions for water, getting enough sleep are good.

Some dark circles, though, are inherited and/or just natural and there's nothing you can do about it.

But you can try grating fresh, raw potatoes, wrap in some cheese cloth and place under the eyes for 15 minutes, being careful not to get the juice in your eyes, of course. A bit of a hassle, but, supposedly, it works

Cucumber slices placed over the eyes is another old-time remedy.

I read the Japanese eat a lot of Adzuki beans to remedy this.

Some dark circles, though, are inherited and/or just natural and there's nothing you can do about it.

That's a possiblity, I've had them all my life, but I notice drinking a lot of water will help, especially if you have a high protein intake.

That's a possiblity, I've had them all my life, but I notice drinking a lot of water will help, especially if you have a high protein intake.

Yea, there are some things I like to blame on my parents . Like why did I have to inherit my dad's thick waist??!!

Dr. Harris (very good info on his site! He breaks it down pretty well why grains are not optimal and GREENS are better ) has a Q & A on this subject:

"Dark Circles Under My Eyes from Going Veg?

Q&A with Bill Harris, MD

Q. At the start of the year my children, my husband and I became vegetarians (except for eating fish). We have 3 children 2 boys and a girl aged 9, 7 and 5 respectively, who lead very physically active lives. After 3-4 weeks I noticed the boys were developing dark circles under their eyes. As they were getting enough sleep I knew it had to be diet related so I immediately had them eating meat again.

A couple of months passed and the circles disappeared so we tried the vegetarian diet again, this time with a daily dose of vitamins. Sure enough the dark circles appeared, so again, back on the meat. The circles disappeared.

This is the third attempt to become semi vegetarians this year. It has only been a few weeks and already the dark circles under the boys eyes have appeared.

I would be grateful for any insight or advice you could give me regarding this problem.

A. The medical literature is silent on dark circles under the eyes, however this is what I think is happening.

Orbital tissue is very loose and expandible. With an allergic reaction it swells up and becomes pale because the pigment cells are being moved apart. As fluid or subcutaneous fat is lost the eyes appear sunken and dark because the pigment cells become more densely packed. So weight loss due to the dietary change could cause the dark eyes. If the sodium content of the diet has also gone down, that can cause a reduction in extracellular fluid volume also leading to the dark eye effect.

If you try the veggie diet again you should keep a careful record of the kids' weight. They may be losing fluid and/or weight. Children need more fat than adults in order to meet their Calorie requirements. Vegan kids should be offered plenty of raw nuts, seeds, nut butters, tofu and avocados in order to keep up their weight. All vegans need a B12 supplement.

Sincerely,

William Harris, M.D."

_William Harris MD received a degree in physics from the University of California Berkeley, where he earned Phi Beta Kappa honors. He received his degree in medicine from the University of California at San Francisco, and received his postgraduate training at San Diego County Hospital. He holds a Medical License in the State of Hawaii. He has been an Emergency Department physican since 1963, and the Director of the Kaiser Permanente Vegan Lifestyle Clinic on Oahu until his retirement in 1998. Dr. Harris is the author of The Scientific Basis of Vegetarianism.

In addition, he was the 1950 Big Ten Trampoline Champion, is an accomplished hangglider and commercial pilot, and at age 70 became a skydiver with 108 jumps to date. Dr. Harris has been vegetarian since 1950, and vegan since 1963