Brendan Brazier's Meal Plans

robert

I thought some people may be interested in this:

Meal Programs by Professional Ironman Triathlete/Best-Selling Author/Formulator of Vega: Brendan Brazier

KEEP IN MIND THIS IS AN OFF-SEASON MEAL SCHEDULE. DURING HARD TRAINING (UP TO 10 HOURS A DAY) HE MAY EAT UP TO 10,000 CALORIES A DAY!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Light to moderate training meal plan

You'll notice that I eat far fewer calories than many people with a similar training schedule. Since mine are of a "high net gain", meaning they digest and assimilate easily, I get more total energy from my food and don't need to eat as much. This is a rough guide since I "graze" all day.

Monday

Breakfast: 1 cup Nature's Path cereal and soy or rice milk with 1 ½ cups of fruit of choice or 1 ½ cup of Toasted Apple cinnamon cereal and almond milk (recipes in Thrive) with ½ cup fruit of choice (usually mango)

Snack: Vega Bar + 500ml of coconut water from young coconut

Lunch: Vega fruit dip (slices of apple, banana, orange) 1/3 serving Natural Vega, 1/3 serving Chocolate Vega, ½ tbsp hemp seeds. Mix Vega and hemp seeds together, dip fruit in and eat.

Snack: 1 65 gram Rejuvenator Brownie (recipe in Thrive). Plus 1 banana

Dinner: 3 cup mixed greens, with ½ cup broccoli, ¼ chick peas, ¼ avocado and ½ tbsp hemp oil mixed with 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or ginger papaya salad dressing, recipe in Thrive).and dulse strips. Plus the meat of a young coconut.

Snack: 1 apple, 1/3 serving of Vega with ½ cup cold water.

Total calories: 2400

Carb/Protein/Fat % - 43/28/29

Tuesday

Breakfast: ½ serving Chocolate Vega blended with ½ a pear, ½ a banana and ¼ cup soaked almonds. Blend with about 450 ml of cold water.

Snack: Vega Bar

Lunch: 3 cup mixed greens, with ½ a grated carrot, ¼ cup soaked green lentils, ¼ avocado and ½ tbsp hemp oil mixed with 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (or ginger papaya salad dressing, recipe in Thrive). Plus 1 banana

Snack: 1 banana and ¼ cup walnuts or 2 x 50 gram home made Bars (recipe in Thrive)

Dinner: Stir Fry: ½ cup extra firm tofu, ¼ cup bean sprouts, ½ cup cauliflower, 1/4c snow peas, ¼ cup water for stir frying with ½ tsp cumin and ½ tsp curry powder, 2tsp hemp oil (to be added after) 1/2c brown rice or soaked quinoa. *for best results stir-fry with coconut oil.

Snack: ½ serving of Vega with roughly 190ml of water

Total calories: 2300

Carb/Protein/Fat % - 40/30/30

Wednesday

Breakfast: ½ serving Natural Vega blended with ½ pear, ½ banana, 1 tbsp fresh ginger root. Blend with about 450 ml of cold water.

Snack: Vega Bar or ¾ cup Optimum Rebound Nature's Path cereal

Lunch: spinach with other mixed greens, ¼ cup soaked almonds, hemp oil and balsamic vinegar.

Snack: 1 Mango ¼ cup pecans or 1 65 gram Rejuvenator Brownie (recipe in Thrive)

Dinner: ½ sweat potato (steamed),1 cup mixed greens and 1 ½ cup stir fried extra firm tofu. or 2 cups of Coconut Lime Curry (recipe in Thrive)

Snack: ½ serving of Vega with roughly 190ml cold water

Total calories: 2200

Carb/Protein/Fat % - 42/29/29

Thursday

Breakfast: 1 serving of Vega with 375ml cold water

Snack: ¾ cup cooked brown rice with ½ an avocado mixed with sea salt and lemon juice dressing.

Lunch: 3 cup mixed greens, with ½ a grated carrot, ¼ cup soaked green lentils, ¼ avocado and ½ tbsp hemp oil mixed with 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or ginger papaya salad dressing (recipe in Thrive).

Snack: 1 papaya, ¼ cup walnuts or 2 50 gram bar (recipe in Thrive) and yerba mate tea

Dinner: Avocado and tomato sandwich - 2 slices of sprouted bread, ½ avocado 1 tomato sliced, ½ cup mixed greens, ¼ tsp chilly powder, 1 tsp salad dressing

Snack: 1 Apple with ¼ cup soaked almonds

Total calories: 2300

Carb/Protein/Fat % - 42/28/30

Friday

Breakfast: ¾ cup Nature's Path cereal and soy or rice milk with ¾ cup of fruit of your choice or 1 ¼ cups Toasted Ginger Pear cereal with almond milk, soy milk, rice milk or slightly watered down Natural Vega (recipe in Thrive)

Lunch: ¼ cup soaked lentils, 1 whole wheat pita ,1 Romaine lettuce leaf, 2 slices tomato,1/4cup alfalfa sprouts, 10 medium baby carrots ,1tsp oil & vinegar salad dressing , 250mL yerba mate tea or Sesame miso soup and yerba mate tea (recipe in Thrive)

Snack: 1 serving of Vega with 375ml cold water or 1 large Fuji apple and ¼ cup walnuts or 1 cup of Vega energy pudding (recipe in Thrive)

Dinner: 3 cup mixed greens, ½ a grated beet, ¼ cup soaked red lentils, ¼ cup soaked almonds and ½ tbsp, hemp oil mixed with 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or yerba mate salad dressing (recipe in Thrive). Plus ¾ cup amaranth with ½ an avocado with sea salt and lemon juice dressing.

*Add 1 tsp of hemp protein powder if desired.

Snack: 1 Orange and ¼ cup soaked pumpkin seeds. (Pumpkin seeds are high in iron; it will be better absorbed when combined with the vitamin 'C' from the orange)

Carb/Protein/Fat % - 43/28/29

Saturday

Breakfast: 1 serving of Vega with 375ml of water or Vega Stamina Cereal (Recipe in Thrive)

Snack: Vega Bar + 500ml of coconut water from young coconut

Lunch: 3 cups mixed greens, with grated carrot root, ¼ cup soaked green lentils and ginger papaya salad dressing. Plus a banana

Snack: 3 dates with hemp seed butter or1 65 gram Rejuvenator Brownie (recipe in Thrive). Plus the meat of a young coconut.

Dinner: ½ sweat potato (steamed),1 cup mixed greens and 1 ½ cup stir fried extra firm tofu or 2 cups of Coconut Lime Curry (recipe in Thrive)

Snack: 1 banana or 1 50 gram Vega bar (recipe in Thrive)

Total calories: 2200

Carb/Protein/Fat % - 42/30/28

Sunday

Breakfast: ½ serving of Natural Vega with ½ an orange, ½ a banana, spice, and soaked pumpkin seeds. Blend with cold water, about 400ml or blend with the water from a young coconut. Or Nature's Path cereal.

Lunch: 3 cups mixed greens, with grated carrot, ¼ cup soaked green lentils, ½ cup bean sprouts and ginger papaya salad dressing. Plus two apples

Snack: 1 banana ¼ cup soaked almonds or 1 cup of Chocolate Recovery Pudding (recipe in Thrive)

Dinner: 3 cup mixed greens, with ½ a grated carrot, ¼ cup soaked green lentils, ¼ avocado and ½ tbsp hemp oil mixed with 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or ginger papaya salad dressing (recipe in Thrive). Plus the meat of a young coconut.

Snack: 1/3 serving of Chocolate Vega (dry powder), ½ tbsp dried coconut and a banana. Mix the Vega and the coconut together, dip the banana in and eat!

Carb/Protein/Fat % - 39/32/29

It was postponed because of another book project, so I think he's looking at 2008. But he has a new 260-page book coming out in March. It should be cool. It is an expanded addition of Thrive. More than double the length of the original book. I'll see him in a couple of weeks and get more info on that cook/recipe book.

Thanks for posting this. What I would like to know is in what way does a nutrition plan for endurance sports differ to a nutrition plan for bodybuilding. Is there a difference in calories intake, carbs... or am I cool if I just stick to what Brendan eats?

I try, but he's not much of a forum-poster. He's also traveling a lot and working on book projects, etc.

I know we're all busy, I think it just comes down to the fact that he's not really a forum person. I didn't used to be either until I started enjoying them.

There are a ton of my vegan friends who I wish were on here, but they just aren't forum posters, so they never come by.

But I'll get on him about it. I'll see him in a couple of weeks over in Baltimore.

Thanks for posting this. What I would like to know is in what way does a nutrition plan for endurance sports differ to a nutrition plan for bodybuilding. Is there a difference in calories intake, carbs... or am I cool if I just stick to what Brendan eats? [/quote

They do differ quite a bit. I'm about to go to sleep so I'll get back to you soon. Also, others may post too, while I'm sleeping and give some reasons why they are different.

We have totally different training programs, his requiring a lot more carbs for energy, mine requiring lots of proteins for muscle growth and recovery after heavy stress on the muscles, etc.