Coffee Grinders & Flax Seed

9nines

I am thinking of buying a coffee grinder and using it to grind flax seeds. For those that use coffee grinders, how do you clean them?

Since short chain fats, that flax seeds contain, degrade and turn rancid quickly, I am worried about remains becoming rancid and tainting future grinds.

Are coffee grinder something you can easily clean after each use?

What is a good model for grinding flax seeds?

I went to Macy's, during lunch. The ones it has seem to be geared toward coffee beans which are larger. The clearance on the blade, seem like it would miss the relatively small flax seeds.

Any model that is specifically for small seeds, like flax seeds or one that is known to work well on them?

Thanks for any help.

What is a good model for grinding flax seeds?

I went to Macy's, during lunch. The ones it has seem to be geared toward coffee beans which are larger. The clearance on the blade, seem like it would miss the relatively small flax seeds.

Any model that is specifically for small seeds, like flax seeds or one that is known to work well on them?

Thanks for any help.

This is the model we have. It works great for grinding flax seeds. We bought ours at Target.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-80355-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B000A1FFNG/sr=8-2/qid=1158186798/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-7956787-4794355?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden

I used to use a coffee grinder to grind my flax seeds, but was concerned about the same thing (since you can't really rinse out the grinding area well, and a damp paper towel might not be effective enough). Then, one day, I realized that my Magic Bullet blender (any blender can work) had a small cup attachment, and I ground up some flax in that. Worked perfectly, and the blender blade can be rinsed off/washed, as well as the cup.

For uses: I think flax (in particular golden flax, which also has more of some nutrients than the regular dark stuff) tastes yummy sprinkled on oatmeal with a dash (okay, maybe more!) of maple syrup and some soy or rice milk.

I also add it to my smoothies.

If you bake, you can throw some in muffins, breads, etc.

If you have a dehydrator, you can soak raw flax (again, golden are best) for a few hours (?), then spread on a Teflex sheet and dehydrate to make crackers.

I use freshly ground flax in one of two ways, either sprinkled over cereal or blended (as I did this morning) with hemp milk and blueberries. I did a comparison once between golden and dark flax seed for nutritition and the dark actually has slightly higher Omega-3s, but not enough to be significant.