Red wine vegan?

veggymeggy

I was just wondering if you consider wine to be a vegan product? I know there are some animal derived products that are used in the production of some, but not all, wines. I've also read that these are not present in the finished wine, though I don't know if that makes a difference. Is there a general opinion on this?

A lot of wine is made using isinglass which (as far as I know) is fluid from within a fish, or made from a fish in some way or another. The wine itself does not contain animal ingredients. Some people would argue that it is vegan. I personally wouldn't drink something which involves the deliberate use of animal ingredients, even if they are not present in the final product. You can get wines which are made in a different way. Similarly with beers and lagers etc. Lots of them use isinglass, but not all of them. I am sure that someone more awesome than me can give you a list of alcoholic drinks which are vegan. I don't drink at all and so I'm not that educated on it.

This site might help: http://vegans.frommars.org/wine/

Many wines use eggs or milk products in their "clarification" process, but most health food stores offer a selection of vegan wines.

I do still order red wines when eating out, there is no way to know if animal products were used in their making. Completely giving up on eating out would take the joy out of being vegan and make it seem downright opressive!

If I eat out (and by this I mean eat at a restaurant), then I don't eat. I eat beforehand, or afterwards. I just go with my friends and sit with them while they eat. I'd never trust a restaraunt.

I can understand that, I used to be much more hardcore about such things. For better or worse, I have mellowed out a lot in my old age.

Do you ever worry that you are making veganism appear opressive and unattainable to your friends? Would it be better to order a vegan meal and let your friends see how easy it would be to be vegan? Just wondering, I respect your choices regardless.