Hello from Colorado

SpeakLow

Hello!

Guess I'll introduce myself real quick. My name is James and I am currently living in Northern Colorado. Though if this house of mine will sell, I will be a resident of Portland, Oregon. I fell in love with that city two years ago and have yearned to move there, so wish me luck on the sale! Anyway, I am 25, 26 next week, and have been making the change to vegan for some time now, it is hard though! However, these forums will make it much easier. I thoroughly enjoy backpacking, and there is quite a bit of it where I live, cooking, photography and I collect music. I have just started weight training and I am having pretty good success. I am not aiming to be a builder and compete, I just want to feel good, look good, get rid of my “scrawniness.” I like it when the weights go up every other week or so. So I am looking forward to talking with everyone. This website is great! The resources are phenomenal!

See ya around!

James

I wish you the best at annihilating your “scrawniness.” Also I have a folk remedy to help sell your house...I heard this on the radio months ago. Anyhow you bury a St. Francis of Assassi statue in your backyard. If you try it let us know how it goes. The dude on the radio said it worked for him.

Welcome James!

Great to have you on the forum and see you in Portland soon! I live in Portland and plan on being here for quite a while My little brother is out in Denver, CO. I've been out to visit a few times.

Enjoy the forum. When you get out here, there will be a dozen or two dozen forum members to hang out with in person

All the best with the house sale, and welcome aboard!

• 2 weeks later...
Hello & Welcome James! What part of N. Colorado are ya in? Any ideas on what part of Portland you'd like to live in?

Hello,

I am in Loveland, just about an hour north of Denver, an hour south of Cheyenne, right where all of the growth is happening. As far as where I want to go in Portland, I have no clue actually! I like the downtown area, and am hoping to get on at REI. School will be in Gresham though, but I hear that is an easy commute, esp on the Max Line I believe it is? And from what I saw of Gresham, I don't want to live there. So I don't know yet. Any suggestions? I would also like to live in an area where there is a bigger offering of vegan eateries that what I am used to here, which is none. I'd like to be in a busier area, lots of art. I am just excited for a change from the run of the mill here in Colorado. I guess maybe just about any place might do! Any suggestions? Oh, and I also do a LOT of backpacking, so that should be easy to get to as well. I've spent a total of maybe four days in Portland, so there is much that I have not seen.

But on the up side, my realtor say there is a very high chance I will have an offer on my place in the near future, so keep your fingers crossed!

James!

I really like the Loveland/Ft. Collins area but the ongoing front range growth explosion definitely sucks. Soon there will just be one supercity from Pueblo to Cheyenne...

Do I have suggestions!?! Why yes I do - as many as ya want, on just about anything ya might want suggestions on!

As for places to live here in Pdx: One of the things I like most about Portland is all of the distinct neighborhoods & semi-hidden pockets of culture & community. There's something for just about everyone somewhere in this city!

I generally recommend the "inner Southeast" from about 10th through 50th and from Woodstock up to Burnside to most people, as this is the area I personally like best for most things.

I assume you mean the downtown Portland REI? I've seen job openings at that location and there also are 2 more REIs in the metro area. The others are fairly far out of town but 1 of the 3 is almost alwatys hiring.

The "Pearl District" is Portlands main upscale arts area & is definitely a busier area. It's very centrally located and is where the Pdx REI is located.

It's mostly a yuppie highrise & warehouse "loft" type district. Personally if I wanted to be in that general area of town I'd prefer to head further west / northwest over towards Forest Park. Do you know about Forest Park? It's a massive city park, is almost entirely forested (even a bit of old growth) and has tons of hiking trails.

Will you be attending MHCC? I like Gresham & would certainly consider living there. It's certainly not as hip & happening as Portland to be sure, and also is a fairly long drive, bike or bus ride from most of the rest of the Portland area. On the other hand, it's located on the east end of town making it much closer to the Gorge, the Cascades, national forests and other great places for backpacking, etc.

NE Alberta street is anouther artsy area but is a lot more diverse culturally & economically. It's not my favorite part of town but has some very cool things going for it.

• 2 weeks later...