Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Finbarrio's Blog: Truth mongering
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:06 am 
Elephant

Thoughts while surfing around a bit this morning:
With the elections coming, many out there feel that there will be an "October Surprise" by one or both of the parties in order to firm up support heading into the Nov elections in the US. There are actual polls out there where you can vote for what you think the October Surprise will be - something BIG to do with Iran seems to be a popular choice; there's always old faithful bin Laden showing up again (thought that might be played out at this point); invading Canada :wink: ; free tofu to everyone in the country :) . Should be an interesting time.

It does feel like "something" is going to happen, but I'm not sure you can watch TV without always thinking that something big is coming. I don't buy into the Dem's view that it's the GOP that is solely behind the "fear mongering" (Al Gore alone is proof of that). I think the media can't get enough of the "what ifs?". Discovery Channel has a show almost every night about giant meteors, major earthquakes, Cat 5 hurricanes, mega-tsunamis, etc. And the news networks? Fuggedaboubit. They serve up fear like a buffet.

No, I think the GOP instead focuses on what makes people angry and hateful. The Swift Boat campaign against Kerry had nothing to do with fear - it was designed to (try to) expose Kerry as a fraud and get people whipped up and angry about it - many of the people influenced by that voted for Bush because they HATED Kerry. Ann Coulter has made millions on the back of hatred. Watch Faux News some morning and see the hate flow.

The GOP also understand a sad fact - many of their voters are, at best, gullible, and at worst, dumb. They are easily snowed. So they keep it simple. Bush is King Simple. Soundbytes, slogans, and clever PR win elections more than good ideas. Sad but true.

I keep hoping someone truly independent will emerge. Someone who will be above the partisan bickering. Someone committed to bringing people together for the good of the future of this country. Someone who understands that Americans are not just citizens of our country, but are also citizens of the world. Someone who will admit that the US has made some mistakes. Someone who won't hide behind rhetoric and won't be afraid to come face-to-face with the world leaders who oppose US policies. If you truly believe you are right and just, than why hide?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:12 pm 
Even though he's part of a party I think Dennis Kucinich fits that profile(and of course he's vegan)...personally I'd vote for him if we were electing a monarch to serve until his death

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:30 am 
Gorilla

veganpotter wrote:
Even though he's part of a party I think Dennis Kucinich fits that profile(and of course he's vegan)...personally I'd vote for him if we were electing a monarch to serve until his death

Hmmm...I don't think there's enough difference between a monarch and a dictator ;). Kuci, or not; I'd rather not live under a monarchy or grant that much power...but come to think of it, the NeoCon junta we have now is probably worse.

finbarrio, I agree somethings gonna happen; it always does, doesn't it? Even last-minute "good acts" seem to occur right around voting time. Even disgusting slime, like Arnold Schwarzenegger pulls a few out of his a -- I mean -- hat. So Osama on a stick wouldn't surprise me, but he's sorta lost his significance.

With w's eye on Iran and no world support, the conflagration in Iraq, a new British PM coming soon...I think (hope) the repugs are goin' down the next few years. People just need to vote, damnit...though it better be in big numbers; I personally can't stomach another fraudulent selection.

I doubt we'll see anyone who would be up to our standards, run. Barring Al Gore (who, certainly isn't perfect and nowhere near ideal), I can't see anyone right now I'd like...perhaps Barack Obama...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:37 am 
Elephant

I forget who did the poll but 42% of respondents said they believed that the sudden drop in oil prices was somehow the doings of the government, to help republicans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:26 pm 
I think he'd be a gentile monarch much like King Arthur...other than illegalizing factory farming I doubt he'd take advantage of his position

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:21 am 
Gorilla

Yeah, gas prices have fallen. But people seem to understand it's a little too convenient. Also we have the rumor of Osama being dead.

Doesn't really matter though. Virtually no one knows about IMF SAPs so there's no outcry about their results (almost half the world malnourished) so nothing will be done no matter who gets into office.

And Kucinich is part of the establishment. He can't even admit we need MSM reform. He's... what's it called.... one of those guys who coopts a movement. Like the FBI wanted to get rid of Martin Luther King and replace him with their own black leader who was "tame". And so Kucinich makes it look like the democrats are something other than republican lite while he never actually brings up anything you didn't already know, nor does he actually accomplish anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:58 pm 
I really think Kucinich doesn't wanna look crazy...he knows his views are seen as insane by the general public so he keeps it zipped and speaks out when he knows people will listen to him...he did this when he was mayor and paid for it but he's game to pay for standing up to people when he knows what he says will have an effect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:07 pm 
Elephant

I think about ethics and morals a lot. I guess I'm an ethicolic. So here's one thing that I think I think: A very large % of the population equates morals with religious beliefs. For good catholics, the bible pretty much spells out what's right and wrong. And where it fails to be specific (as with most modern moral dilemmas), the popemeister (used to be the popeski) chimes in. So for a lad like myself who has abandoned the Catholic faith in favor of, you know, reason -- I guess I'm pretty much doomed. I mean, if I die and go up to face judgement like some sad sap facing Wapner on People's Court, I'm in for it. Right? Well, not so fast. I think someone who makes positive ethical decisions in life based on their own thoughtful analysis, rather than religious considerations, is more worthy of a place in heaven than someone who simply did what they did because they were told it was right. So I suspect Wapner would judge in my favor. And if he doesn't - then I'll jump the bench and strangle him. I mean, what will it matter at that point? :wink:

Of course, this all assumes that there is a heaven, which is a whole other topic (I read an interesting quote a while ago that said, paraphrasing - "the sooner God and modern religion go the way of Zeus and Greek mythology, the better". Is modern religion just another set of myths, to be replaced by yet another set when these modern religions spell the doom of our modern world. Stay tuned...)

One more thing on the morality tip - I like to picture that there is a moral compass in this world. And every decision we make and every dogma we practice can be charted in relation to that compass. When we make perfect ethical decisions, we are at true North. Becoming and being vegan is pretty darn close. I can feel it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 pm 
Cycling would be boring in heaven anyway...the grounds too soft for road bike tires and not rough enough to enjoy a good downhill...I say hell is the place to be...racing would be better there too since all the drugged out cyclists would be there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:25 am 
Elephant

veganpotter wrote:
Cycling would be boring in heaven anyway...the grounds too soft for road bike tires and not rough enough to enjoy a good downhill...I say hell is the place to be...racing would be better there too since all the drugged out cyclists would be there

:lol: :lol:

Post subject: John Kerry's big mouth
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:54 am 
Elephant

Hard to believe that one stupid John Kerry comment could be the GOP's "October surprise". Karl Rove couldn't have dreamt up a better scenario than a high-viz Democrat potentially screwing their own party. Even if Kerry meant it, heck, even if it's partly true - did he have to say it the week before the election?! Fox News has been John Kerry 24/7 for the past 3 days. I'm Indendent, but I want the Dems to win a majority in at least one side of the house so that the GOP doesn't have such a stranglehold on the country. But now a lot of the Repubs who wouldn't have voted are pissed off. And being pissed off is the single #1 motivator to getting people to vote (and that's according to Karl Rove).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:43 pm 
John Kerry is a republicans dream if he would win the primary...Limbaugh could probably beat him if he ran...that guys trying to sabotage the party

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:15 pm 
Rabbit

I don't understand how you all can get so enthralled with the details of a two party system where the evil guys are just "stupider" than the "good" guys but in reality are all about the same and into the same game: corruption, no accountability, and no real improvements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:46 pm 
Its not about being enthralled its about reasonable people that can win...sure all the candidates stink but its better to pick a better lousy candidate than to be one of the 5 people who vote for the good candidate...otherwise we'll have people like Bush in all the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:53 pm 
Elephant

YigalWeinstein wrote:
I don't understand how you all can get so enthralled with the details of a two party system where the evil guys are just "stupider" than the "good" guys but in reality are all about the same and into the same game: corruption, no accountability, and no real improvements.

It's called reality. When the reality changes and there are real "good guys" to choose from who have a hope of winning, I'll be enthralled by that. For now, though, I'd like to see the Dems win so that they can keep the Executive Branch in check.