Hello...

benny boy

Hey so I just had a browse round this forum and really like a lot of what I have read and thought it would be useful.

My name is Ben, I have been veggie for over 5 years and Vegan for 2 years 9 months. I gave up alcohol and drugs just over a year ago.

I used to go to the gym when I was vegetarian for a while in 2002/3 and saw some good results, although I felt the weight I gained was a bit fatty (probably due to high dairy/cheese intake in the my diet).

However since then I have lost a lot of weight to the point where I now weight 148lbs, this is bad as I am 6"4!! The main reason for this weight loss has been through not eating enough and eating crap.

So I have started to plan out a weekly chart of meals that I am eating to force myself to have regular healthy meals I am also taking soy protein with fruit juices occasionally, but only after training.

I have started lifting weights again as the guy who used to live in my house left them behind, I am focusing on my upper body mostly as my lower is in pretty good shape (although my calfs could be bigger I guess). I aim to train 3 to 4 times a week doing bicep curls, press ups, sit ups, bicep press', shoulder press. (I am not sure that is the correct name for the exercises).

I am not a big fan of gyms to be honest.

My only current worry is that my left side is a lot weaker than my right and so I am doing less reps on that side...is this an issue or will it even out as muscle builds and then strength follows?

Also what is the best way to chart progress? (We currently don't have any scales in our house that I am aware of)

Anyhow any tips would be appreciated.

Hi - welcome.

Others will [probably give better advice on work-outs. My only advice is to keep a journal - exercise, reps, weight, etc. That way you will see your progress.

You sound as if you have a very high metabolism, in which case just eat more and all the time but not junk.

I recommend eating three or four large meals every day and snack thoughout the day...also learn to like gyms or hate them so much that you make getting out only after a hard workout your incentive

Welcome aboard!

My advice:

Read this and eat like VP said.

Do not leave out lower body exercises! They are very important because they improve trunk-stability and some also train some upper body muscles.

IMHO being a member of a gym is not really important for building muscles. If you have enough compassion and disciplin you can also be succesful if you train at home.

Also there are many bodyweight-exercises that are really hard to do and can build high quality muscles.

hey there and welcome to the forum I hope you have a great time here.

Definitely do lower body as well!!!!! It's important to work out your whole body.

Some of the more experienced members would be able to give you better advice, but maybe do extra sets on your left side, or a heavier weight until it catches up? That's what I used to do... I have the same problem - poledancing helped enormously in developing my entire left arm and left side of back though. Perhaps some other form of exercise like indoor rock climbing will help work out that left side a bit more!

Lunges and squats are good to do with free weights.

I used to think I hate gyms, when I yo yo into being a lazy bum the motivation to go to the gym is hard to find... however when I am in the rhythm and habit, I find I really enjoy it. Get an ipod and fill it with your favourite tunes, have your goals in mind and learn to love the burn!!!!

Right so I have a programme which I think is about right based around:

Day 1.

Bicep Curls

Press Ups

Shoulder Press

Crunchs

Calf Raises

Day 2.

Bicep Curls (should I change this to a tricep exercise?)

Chest Press

Bent Over Row

Crunchs

Squats

I aim to do this Saturday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday.

Too much? Should I take it down to 3 times a week?

What do people think about reps/sets.

Once I have it sorted I will start a training journal and put in what I am eating too (according to a rough estimate on that nutrition data site I ate over about 3500 calories today...I felt hungry! )

welcome benny boy!

Great to have you here on the forum. You should be able get a lot of info here and lots of inspiration as well. We have a cool group and I'm sure you'll make a bunch of friends here in the very near future.

If you haven't already started a training journal, feel free to do that in the Online Training Journals section and feel free to start a blog too. They are great sections to use and update things on a regular basis.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the forum!

• 3 weeks later...