Jeremy's Blog

Guest veganpotter

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back home from what seemed to be my third vacation in about two months. It was a great time and I wish life could always be like that...anyway It'll be close when I move to Portland next year. Now I've gotta get some work done in the studio so I can get up early and hammer it on the bike..I'll also be getting my diet in check again which will be very nice after having so many forum members violently forcing food down my throat...it reminds me of Alex...what a terrible man forcing me to eat all that junk

Yesterday I did my 100 mile ride and it felt quite good...I averaged 18mph for the whole thing going easy which is pretty quick considering the road I ride on...today however didn't feel so hot...I rode 60 miles and my butt was aching from the 20th mile on. I planned on riding 70 in the morning but I doubt my body will let me...we'll see. This will definately be a 400 mile week but if I can pull a 500 mile week I'll be stoked...if not 400 is great and I'll ride 250-300 next week and maybe try a 500 mile week the week after.

BIg pain in the butt...I just put in an easy 85 miles today thanks to the wind in my face but I felt good and I think I could have ridden much faster in better conditions. We'll see how the weather holds up but I think I may get my 500mile week:)

I just put in a miserable 74 miles today...the whole first hour was into a terrible head wind...if I wasn't trying to ride 500miles this week I would have definately taken the day off due to the wind. That first hour really killed me but it died down and after 20minutes my legs got wound up again for the next three hours of riding. Depending on how I feel I may ride 100 miles in the morning but I'll do atleast 80 for sure...I've gotta time it right since I'm doing a 50mile group ride Sunday and I don't wanna be on the tail end of it thanks to all my extra training...not many people I ride with get to go 250 a week.

Today I rode 85 miles and it was a terrible experience...normally my rides in the wind are somewhat tolerable since I loop back around and get the tail wind but it seemed like someone was directing the wind at my face the whole time. My muscles actually felt pretty good but I rode so slow today trying to get through the wind...much worse than yesterday's ride. Anyway 95 miles to go in two days and I've got a 500mile week...I plan on an easy 55-60mile ride and Sunday I'm riding with my team...I'll probably have alot of trouble keeping up after all this milage but then again I'll be drafting.

I felt great when I woke up this morning and had the advantage of a light tail wind but a few sections of my ride I was going 14mph on roads I normally ride 19-21...really blistering gusts...it wasn't so bad though...now I've only got 40 miles to go...hopefully they won't be so painful. Monday can be painful and Tuesday can be the day I sit on my butt

So yesterday I finished up my 500 miles...actually I accumulated 520 for the week...today I rode 75 and there wasn't much wind at all. I felt really strong despite all this heavy milage so I'm really pleased with how it went. Tomorrow is my day off but now I almost don't even want it since I rode so well today...no matter what I need the time off then its off to ride another long ride on Wednesday. I was gonna take Thursday off too but now my morning class is cancelled so thats not gonna happen I've gotta take advantage of that since once November comes I'll only be able to do short rides after class on Thursday due to sunlight but not this Thursday

I'm kinda enjoying my day off the bike...my muscles feel ok and I know they'll feel great in the morning compared to yesterday but I'd still rather be riding Well its too rainy anyway so I wouldn't have ridden but it would still be nice too. I guess its a good way to catch up in the studio though which is good but cycling is a worthy sacrifice for anything.

Had a lousy day off the bike yesterday...my muscles felt terrible but I really wanted to ride anyway...it did let me get in the studio which was good but I still had training in my mind and when I take off I should really be not thinking about training at all...I don't want any of the mental stuff to keep me from being alkaline:) luckily it was all made better with an awesome date...which was topped off by an well rested 75mile ride

I felt good this morning so I rode 100miles today...I was planning on doing that tomorrow but I figured I may not feel as good so I did it today...hopefully I'll feel good in the morning so I can do a good 70-90mile ride. It was the fastest 100miles I've ever ridden...actually 102miles in a bit under 5hrs 30minutes...It also felt like the easiest I've ever done too...I didn't need to eat as much as I normally do either which leads me to think I've honed in on my diet or that rest on Tuesday really did the trick.

***Check that...it was gonna rain Saturday but now its gonna rain hard tomorrow instead...I'm very happy I rode so far today since I've gotta take off tomorrow...so Saturday I may do another 100miler

I've been taking it easy on the bike the last few days...I don't feel like I need the break but I know I do...I'm definately not taking off though. I'd never do this but thanks to my new girlfriend and my art projects I'm forcing myself to spend a bit less time in the saddle. I've always been an overtrainer and I like doing that but its just not good for me and now I've got a reason to take it easy which will hopefully really pay off...I just have to make sure dating someone won't make me eat junky food like when Daywalker and I had a little thing going when he was down in Richmond. Luckily she eats really well...not raw or anything but very healthy(she says she may give raw a try which I'm really excited about)...a hell of a lot better than mostly all my other vegan friends in the vacinity...well other than the coffee addiction...which isn't so bad becuase I atleast get to smell the coffee all the time. Oh...and if I'm lucky I can weasel some massages to aid in recovery

Today I got in a mini accident...some dumb careless woman didn't signal...I was riding between parked cars and traffic...the legal way your supposed to and she turned infront of me...I hit her car and fell on my hip...its pretty sore but I think I'm alright but anyway I just wish people would do what they were supposed to when they drive...I could have gotten hurt much worse than I did...hopefully it doesn't keep me off the bike for too long since I was feeling so great before this happened

I am glad someone still rides their bike. I have had real problems with drivers living in Long Beach. I used to bike to school a round trip of 14 miles, each day and then an 80+ miler on the weekend but drivers were the thing that made me stop. I can't control a reckless, or unobservant driver from taking me out, no matter how many precautions I take.

I would be interested to hear what you have to say, as a seasoned biker, on how you can continue to ride when there are so many crazy drivers on the road.

Today I got in a mini accident...some dumb careless woman didn't signal...I was riding between parked cars and traffic...the legal way your supposed to and she turned infront of me...I hit her car and fell on my hip...its pretty sore but I think I'm alright but anyway I just wish people would do what they were supposed to when they drive...I could have gotten hurt much worse than I did...hopefully it doesn't keep me off the bike for too long since I was feeling so great before this happened

Bummer, man. Glad you didn't get too hurt. It sounds like, signal or not, you were getting hit.

BUT, the important question...did your bike get hurt???? I understand it can be very difficult to get someone (or their insurance) to pay for damage to a bike.

Yeah...the first thing I did was check my bike...it was almost as if I didn't know I hit a car...I looked at her and saw a scuff on my $300 seat(only paid $100) and my right bar tape so she made it out well. I was staring at her to find something wrong and didn't...after that my leg started to numb up a bit...now its pretty darn sore but only when I'm standing up or poking at it...it rained today which is good because I'd be forcing a ride out but we'll see what I do in the morning.

As for dealing with the drivers I just have to accept it...if I wanna be a pro cyclist...or even a good cyclist...I just have to ride no matter what...I always wear a helmet and last month was the first time I really needed it so that reasured me...I hit the ground really hard and got up smiling(cracked my helmet in 4 places)...I know its just something that happens and I've gotta deal with it. Same with talking to people that aren't vegan...if your not in Portland...sometimes you run into people that aren't vegan and you have no choice but to talk to them

Something is really trying to tell me not to ride my bike...it wasn't supposed to rain all that hard last night but it did...I stayed in the studio until it died down...well that was the plan...I gave up waiting at 5am(got there at 10:30 the day before) and rode home in a downpoor...today I woke up at 12 to ride and there were 40mph gust with a constant 25mph wind...so I ran instead. Wasn't happy about it. That was the first time I've ran for just over a month...yuck

Wow...today was windy. I haven't ridden much so I just said screw it I'm going out anyway which was kinda a bad idea...I actually ran into a group of vegan ladies(three of them) on the road riding but in Richmond women rarely get to ride in a group without being the only woman so I just said hi and talked for a few before I headed off on my own...didn't wanna intrude. Hopefully they were talking about how I'm the hottest male vegan cyclist in Richmond...well maybe the second hottest...one of them has a vegan boyfriend thats probably better looking than I am...I'm just too in love with myself to notice. Anyway I got to converse and draft for maybe 2-3 minutes and after that it was miserable...it seemed like the worst gusts came when I was climbing up hills...not to pleasant. I even saw downed trees on my way back...on roads I backtracked on and didn't see the trees before which means I shouldn't have been riding. I could have easily been there for a tree to smother me(unlikely but who knows)...anyway I'm happy I got the ride in even though I feel terrible...very sore quads and glutes

Sometimes I wish I did mountain bike...but decent mountain bikes are so much more expensive than decent road bikes...plus I'm a big wuss...although avoiding the wind is a very nice benefit of mountain biking...then again...if your biking right you crash pretty much every day you go out so I'm not sure if its worth it(for me)

As for today I took off the bike again...my calves are so sore I can barely flex my ankles at all...mostly from the running and climbing into the wind...I wouldn't have taken off if it weren't for my girlfriend which is great...I would have ridden through it which isn't a very good idea...now if I feel bad I don't feel so terrible taking a day off because I know I'll be happy spending time with her...oddly I wouldn't take a day off no matter how bad I felt when I was engaged...if my fiancee visited me...I'd make sure I rode my bike as much as possible even to the detriment of my body...now I don't feel the need to do that and I can hang out with her and not think about cycling...whenever I can't train I've always hated it and I can't get training off my mind...now its not so bad and I can just relax...I think this is the first time I've been able to do this since I was maybe 13-14...I'm not sure how much of it is me growing up(I hope I'm not growing up at all) or me just being happier...either way its a good thing to be able to take breaks...then when I ramp it up again next week I won't be so stressed when I'm home in pain