Two day Dorky Vegan here!

Chalisa

Hello everyone.

Thanks for your patience and help with my introduction.

I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 16 years. I dabbled with being vegan some time ago and lasted 6 months. I was training for a sprint triathlon at the time (which I never competed in).

I am hoping it will stick this time.

I am a personal trainer and have been trying to lose a certain amount of weight for 2 years. Despite my weight lifting and cardio, the weight has not budged. I was eating a lot of animal protein (egg whites, whey powder, etc.).

Using cow's breast milk started grossing me out, so I decided to give it another try. I also read Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat To Live". Have any of you read it? Anyway, I joined this site to hopefully get some great encouragement and information/advice. I would love to look like a figure competetor after all is said and done (doubtbul), but the ethical and spiritual reasons for becoming vegan are much better.

Anyway, I am happy to be here! This is so cool.

Thanks, Chalisa

P.S. My deepest apologies to Paul--I accidentally posted my intro on his thread at first--I didn't know how to do this.

Sorry about that

Welcome Chalisa!

Great to have you here. We're happy that you found us and I'm sure you'll enjoy the atmosphere here!

Looking like a figure competitor and feeling healthy is a great goal. We can help you get there!

All the best with everything and welcome aboard!

I have always had a triathlon in the back of my mind. The figure competetor comment was strictly superficial.

My body type is more geared for anaerobic activities vs. endurance--I like to lift heavy weights. But, I would love to see if I can change that. My husband has a totally ectomorph, endurance frame and I am in awe of him.

I haven't been very consistent with triathlon training. I have a family, so I don't like to prioritize training over them. I love to hang out with them. (my excuse to not try, right?Ha,Ha)

I have co-workers who compete in triathlons and it sounds fun and torturingly painful at the same time.

Maybe I will get inspired to try endurance sports instead!

:0)

Edited by Chalisa

My hs track coach was a pro decathlete and tried doing some short triathlons to keep in shape after he retired...in training for those short triathlons he noticed cycling long miles really help you more than anything to race almost any distance...after that he was hooked on riding and ironman was the next step...he hasn't looked back since. I honestly think lifters make better converted endurance athletes than speed athletes like sprinter or jumpers.

Muscle is surely my major problem. I used to be a 320lbs shot putter and now I'm a 200lbs cyclist...most good cyclists my height way no more than 160...some are actually under 140 which sounds crazy but its true. I've been trying to get rid of my muscles for a year and it worked up until maybe February or March but I haven't had much luck since then. As for the triathlons...people have to train for the swim if they weren't raised as swimmers since bad swimmers are far worse than bad cyclists...the run is just do stressful that you've gotta work hard on that. The cycling will only kill you because it takes so long to finish(around 5hrs for the best of triathletes) and one mile an hour is a big deal over such a distance...it also takes alot of milage and time to get good at.

As for me I don't compete...I'd like to but I'd only do sprints for kicks(I'm a good swimmer already but a terrible runner), I'd like to do an ironman one day but I hate running more than 10 minutes...which means I've gotta get my marathon time under 10 minutes before I even think about it

How awesome this is!! Hi All!!

Veganpotter--I know what you mean about the running. The farthest I've run is 10 miles and I thought I was going to die. The only reason I finished is because I had to get back to my car. You get kind of numb after about 4.5mi. or so. I don't know when that runner's high kicks in. Is that only for elite runners or what? I think I am innately lazy and don't want to admit it. It is all in the motivation, I guess. A sprint would probably be perfect. Maybe an olympic distance at the most. Keep on truckin!!!

I think its just what makes you produce endorphines...for me cycling, making pottery, eating and lifting do it...oh...jumproping as well...oddly some people get if from running and not only elite runners. I know people that run really slow all day long...it just makes them happy. As for the sprint triathlons I wanna do them but most of the runs for those are even too long for me. I planned on a 3mile run after a really easy 60 mile ride and as soon as I got out the door I didn't wanna do anything...I actually only made it 800meters before I realized my muscles weren't acclimated to running. So really I wouldn't mind a full ironman distance swim/bike but the run would probably have to be 400m or less which doesn't make any sense at all

Have you tried running by itself with no other activites on that day? Start with 800m and then try to increase it ever so slightly? I'm sure you already know this. Unless you just hate it and can't stand to do it. I bet you could do it. When you weight train do you do sport specific exercises? That might be a way to increase your muscle strength for running. Step ups, lunges, mountain climbers are good. I'm sure your hip flexors are already strong from cycling. Sorry, I am blabbing on.....

finbarrio--I think 1 month is a good goal. I already feel more mellow. Does this sound weird? It might just be an internal shift, I don't know.

Anyway, I am going with it.

I will keep you posted.

Hi Chalisa,

I did two sprint triathlons a couple of years ago. My best advice is to pick an event and pay the entry fees, then start training. I find it much more compelling to stick to the training with a definite goal in mind. It's just to hard to train with the idea that you "might do something someday".

Good luck and welcome to the board!

Other than doing compound lifts in the weight room...all my leg muscles still seem to be very strong. They're also used to impact since I use my jump rope about 2 hours a week...I think its pretty much all in my head

We have a local sprint triathlon that is popular, in May. I think you are right, I need to sign up, pay and just do it. This was the race I wussed out on several years ago. The cycle scares me. I have heard about a lot of bike accidents from people around here. I only have a mountain bike, so......the bike will be really slow I'm sure. I know it's all in my head too! I think it is worth a try. I won't commit yet, but I will psyche myself up for it.

You would think living in New Mexico I would know Spanish, but, sadly I don't. The weather is pretty nice right now. The balloon fiesta just ended, so the traffic is lighter now.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!!:)

you can throw slicks on your mountain bike...if you've got really knobby tires now...slicks will add at least 1.5mph to your average speed on the road

Thank you so much for all of the warm welcomes!!(':D')

I have been vegan now for 10 days and feel pretty good.

I hope everyone is doing well. I wish I had some news to share, but life is business as usual.

This site is still totally exciting to me and is keeping me vegan.

Thanks everyone!!