Protein Question

I am currently getting my diet done by an online trainer. She says that it's important for me to get atleast 140g protein daily. My weight is currently 163 lbs and I am trying to lose fat and build muscle. I'll be competing in a figure comp next year.

I'm curious though, how do you all get your protein? I've been trying to get most of my protein from tofu and today I'll be adding tempeh.

Also, how much protein is appropriate? Does the 140g (minimum) sound accurate?

Thanks!

Hi Chrystal Ida!

That is a normal recommendation. I don't believe in this high-protein diet, though, but many do.

I can only say that for vegans it's hard to get that much protein without eating a lot of protein concentrates, as tofu, seitan, soy products or protein powders.

Whole foods that contain much protein: grains (esp. wheat, oats, quinoa, amaranth), nuts, seeds, lentils, beans and some vegetables.

Greetings,

Daywalker

Thanks Daywalker. So you've been successful building muscle with less protein? I'm assuming that the picture on your posts is you? Do you consume 0.8g per kg protein?

Thanks!

Hi Chrystal Ida!

That is a normal recommendation. I don't believe in this high-protein diet, though, but many do.

I can only say that for vegans it's hard to get that much protein without eating a lot of protein concentrates, as tofu, seitan, soy products or protein powders.

Whole foods that contain much protein: grains (esp. wheat, oats, quinoa, amaranth), nuts, seeds, lentils, beans and some vegetables.

Greetings,

Daywalker

Thanks Daywalker. So you've been successful building muscle with less protein? I'm assuming that the picture on your posts is you? Do you consume 0.8g per kg protein?

I don't count my protein, and it varies much from day to day. I try to eat much though. I estimate on an average day i get between 80 and 150g, that's about 0.9 to 1.8g per kg of bodyweight.

I thought the RDA recommendation for protein was 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of weight?

Who recommends that??

As far as i know, official recommendation is 0.8g per kg bodyweight! At least, that is the official value here in Germany, for grown ups at least.

According to the RDA. Of course thats for normal people, for bodybuilders its higher than that.

Where did you get your numbers, Kollision? Here is a link to the USDA website (It was top on the list when I searched Google for "RDA").

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/etext/000105.html

If you click on the "Dietary Reference Intakes: Recommended Intakes for Individuals" a chart will open in a PDF format, dated 2002.

The footnote for protein says, "Based on 0.8g/kg body weight for the reference body weight."

1kg = 2.2lbs which means the recommendation is for 0.36g/lb. Is that right?

Where did you get your numbers, Kollision? Here is a link to the USDA website (It was top on the list when I searched Google for "RDA").

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/etext/000105.html

If you click on the "Dietary Reference Intakes: Recommended Intakes for Individuals" a chart will open in a PDF format, dated 2002.

The footnote for protein says, "Based on 0.8g/kg body weight for the reference body weight."

1kg = 2.2lbs which means the recommendation is for 0.36g/lb. Is that right?

My mistake, thanks for the correction. I mixed up KG with LBS. Thanks again. I also messed up with the recommendations, geesh! Glad we have smart ppl here to correct me!