Hello from Illinois

cubby2112

Hi, I am a college student here in DeKalb, Illinois. I have been a vegan for about four months and am loving it; I finally feel good about myself. For awhile I have been reading these forums and finally decided to go ahead and say hello. I am interested in bodybuilding and to a lesser extent cycling (cold weather steals my motivation, and it is hard to rekindle it completely every spring). I hope to get to know you all and learn some stuff about bodybuilding as a vegan.

Hello Cubby, welcome to the group!

We have quite a few members from your State. I'm sure at least a dozen or so are from Illinois.

I hope you have fun on the forum. Thanks for introducing yourself and we look forward to hearing more from you.

All the best and welcome aboard!

I couldn't imagine having to ride up there...I ride every day(pretty much) and the cold days I ride may be in the low 20s but maybe that was the case 4-5 times last winter...most of the coldest winter days have highs in the lower 40s which is cold enough for me to whine like a baby...you'd probably sweat your butt off.

Awesome- I am relatively new to veganism (tho a vegetarian for about 2 years), and am loving it as well, and I seem to be actually putting on weight with the workouts. I carry a VeganBodybuilding.com flyer for whenever people ask me why/how I decided to go vegan!

-Joel

Welcome cubby

Great that you have lost weight and gained muscle

About bodybuildingas a vegan: i think it's not different to bb as an omni, only that you don't need to stuff yourself with dead animals The training is the same.

Have fun on the forum,

Daywalker

Exactly. The training is the same, the only thing different is the types of foods we eat. The actual caloric breakdown can often be pretty similar too, we're just getting our nutrients from higher quality, fresher sources

Joel......I also like the idea of keeping a vegan bodybuilding flyer nearby because it shows off physiques of Alexander Dargatz, Kristopher Flannery, Denise Nicole, Robert Cheeke and others.

Train Hard Eat Plenty

I agree...I already had alot of muscle when I went vegan but when I went vegan I think I gained maybe 5lbs of muscle(it wasn't a goal of mine...just a result of training) but I got considerably stronger in a very short period of time....which was far more important to me than gaining weight when I was training

At first when I was thinking about the move to vegan, I was reluctant for fear of not being able to build muscle. Then I saw pictures of Dargatz on the frontpage of this site and found that it is possible to build muscle as a vegan; this helped immensely in my decision to become vegan. So, yeah, I think seeing the physiques of some vegan builders may be very helpful in converting some people.

I definately agree...there aren't enough big vegans out there...I really hate the fact that I got hurt for the final time and gave up lifting to pursue cycling since I'd be a much better spokesperson for veganism if I were still over 300lbs...now I just have to perform well to speak out but its not so hard to advocate veganism as an endurance athlete since the general public thinks vegans are all skinny...which in reality everyone should be fairly thin unless there is a purpose behind they're size

I am thinking of making becoming as big as I can one of my goals. My frame isn't very big, I am only 5'10", but since I am only twenty and started lifting seriously almost a year ago, I am hoping that I will still be able to get some decent mass. I would just love to be as big as some of the steak and potatoes guys at the gym and be asked about my nutrition progam and be able to shock people by telling them a vegan diet. I definitely want to help to break the stereotype of skinny vegans. I have surprised my friends so far by keeping up with them in gains at the gym.

Hi, I am a college student here in DeKalb, Illinois. I have been a vegan for about four months and am loving it; I finally feel good about myself. For awhile I have been reading these forums and finally decided to go ahead and say hello. I am interested in bodybuilding and to a lesser extent cycling (cold weather steals my motivation, and it is hard to rekindle it completely every spring). I hope to get to know you all and learn some stuff about bodybuilding as a vegan.

Omg holy crap i was just in DeKalb visiting my girlfriend(she goes to Northern also).

I'm also trying to be a big bad vegan who likes cycling. I've also been vegan for abotu 4 months as well!!!

If i'm ever at Northern again i'll be sure to message you.

If you're a music major you may know my girlfriend, Katie Buchanan. That'd be crazy if you did!!!

Eat like a maniac...thats how I got big(not as a vegan though) but I also stayed big and got stronger that way...the people that saw me in Portland during the Vegan Vacation will tell you how I ate...thats the only way the really get huge

I am watching my calories closely and seeing how my body reacts to them. Each time I increase my intake, I just build muscle faster and continue to lose fat. Right now I am at 3000 calories or so a day. My BMR is 1900, I had 13.1 percent bodyfat the last time I had it tested and I weigh 168 lbs. Before this, I lost a lot of weight, 105 lbs, and I am now looking to pack some of it back on as muscle instead of fat.

From what i understand you're going to need a little fat on you to power muscle growth. I have plenty of fat but it's slowly changing over into muscle. If you're gaining muscle you will gain weight.

I measure my progress of fat loss to muscle growth by seeing if people say "wow you've lost weight" and then watching my PRs and reps go up while lifting. I also make sure my closes fit better around the waist but a little tighter in the arms and shoulders area. It's not really an exact science but if i can see and feel progress that's good enough for me.

Jonathan and Buzz(i believe he is on this forum as well) are both big time bulkers/strongmen guys so hopefully they can help out. It really is all about getting lots of calories. It seems like you're generally a pretty fit guy with a low body fat % so i wouldn't worry too much about eating too poorly. Just try and keep out the BS carbs. White flour will be the end of me.

I don't buy anything that isn't whole grain, but the cafeteria here sometimes forces me to eat processed grains. Well, doesn't really force me, but if I want a vegan wrap of some sort instead of the same salad I have had a million times, I need to make the sacrifice.