Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:01 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
michaelhobson wrote:
kollision wrote:
UPDATED: Bench Press 455 lbs

Funny thing is I tried 475 today. Right when I got it off the rack the entire bar fell right on my chest. Surprisingly it didnt hurt. Was a bit of a surprise but I was left unscathed :D Thank G-d I didnt break my sternum or ribs.


Congrats on the new bench press record! Glad you didn't break yourself. :D

You are too modest, though I guess that is a good quality. We are about the same bodyweight and I am exactly half your strength on most exercises! Check out the Vegan Strength Table on Veganfitness http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2438&start=0 There are big guys there, even a pro bodybuilder and your bench far surpasses any of them!


Thanks a lot for the kind words bro. You should make an online training journal here mate, it would be great to see how you are doing and you know a lot there is to bodybuilding. Also if I am stronger in some aspects than you, I bet you can beat me in some too. For example I rarely squat and I never do deadlifts, so I bet you can easily surpass me in those mate. Thanks for that site, those dudes have good lifts, but I am still heavier than them so the bench over them really doesnt count :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:10 am 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:33 pm
Posts: 2292
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Fair enough Kollision, we are all strong vegans. We can leave it at that. 8)

I have been keeping an online journal at veganfitness since January http://www.veganfitness.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2582

I will consider moving it over here or just start double posting. My hips have been f'ed up lately, so haven't been squatting and minimal deadlifting. My training has started to move more to a bodybuilding style with lighter weights and higher reps.

I will be off line until early next week. My company is moving starting this afternoon and I do all my posting from work. May check in on my slow dialup from home if I have time. I'll start up a journal with next weeks workouts! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:22 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
I just skimmed through it really quick and all I can say is YOUR LEGS ARE STRONG! That deadlift at 365 sounds crazy. Too bad you already started your journal there....hope to read it here like you said

WHat happened to your hips (better yet Tensor Fascaie Latae :D )? Also the bodybuilding approach is good too. Light weights gives a crazy burn, and make you super exhausted. Good luck on that. You might already know this but start with a 12 to 15 rep range for first set. Last set about 8. Each last set should be hard. This will recruite the lower threshold fibers first, and at the end both that and the higher threshold. This induces muscle growth, whereas 6 and lower just higher threshold fibers are recruited and strength is done neuralogically.

As for work, its gonna be sad not seeing ya post, but I can wait. Keep up the good work in the gym and dont over do it :wink: Cant wait to see your journal. Take care and thanks for helping!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:12 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 3:33 pm
Posts: 2292
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
kollision wrote:
I just skimmed through it really quick and all I can say is YOUR LEGS ARE STRONG! That deadlift at 365 sounds crazy. Too bad you already started your journal there....hope to read it here like you said


That was an old post, my current best on the dead is 435! And, yes it is heavy! :wink: I have squatted 345 to full parallel.

kollision wrote:
WHat happened to your hips (better yet Tensor Fascaie Latae :D )? Also the bodybuilding approach is good too.


I have a lovely condition called Ankylosing Spondylitis. It is a form of arthritis that mostly affects the lower joints and lower back, but can also attack the heart and eyes. :( At it's worst the spinal discs start to fuse together. I have the most trouble with my hips, overnight I can go from powerlifter to crippled and barely abled to walk. I also have a really wide squat stance when I get to the heavy weights, so I am skipping the squats for a few weeks to give the hips a rest!

kollision wrote:
As for work, its gonna be sad not seeing ya post, but I can wait. Keep up the good work in the gym and dont over do it :wink: Cant wait to see your journal. Take care and thanks for helping!


Don'g worry K, I have been reading Rob's site for years, I'm not going anywhere. I am pretty excited about this new forum. I like the format I have gotten to know on vegan fitness, but this site has a certain style that only Rob can give. 8) I want to make sure it is a great success.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:21 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Quote:
That was an old post, my current best on the dead is 435! And, yes it is heavy! Wink I have squatted 345 to full parallel.


WOW! Thats aalmost my bench! Thats heavy I dotn thin kI could pick that up!

Quote:
I have a lovely condition called Ankylosing Spondylitis. It is a form of arthritis that mostly affects the lower joints and lower back, but can also attack the heart and eyes. Sad At it's worst the spinal discs start to fuse together. I have the most trouble with my hips, overnight I can go from powerlifter to crippled and barely abled to walk. I also have a really wide squat stance when I get to the heavy weights, so I am skipping the squats for a few weeks to give the hips a rest!


Sorry to hear that you have this, there are more people that should have this and not you! Did you have this before you became vegan? Seems like you have a good approach though.

Quote:
Don'g worry K, I have been reading Rob's site for years, I'm not going anywhere. I am pretty excited about this new forum. I like the format I have gotten to know on vegan fitness, but this site has a certain style that only Rob can give. Cool I want to make sure it is a great success.


Ok good because it would be a lost for this forum if you left. Good to see that you have been here this long, thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:55 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
Updated: Bench 475


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:49 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Posts: 21052
Location: Austin, TX
I'm glad to have you guys here! It makes everything more motivating for me!

Lots of work has been put into this whole site and during that time I've traveled to over 30 countries, and spent considerable amount of time away from the US and away from the internet but we kept everything going. I've suffered through a few back injuries, ironically both coming weeks before competitions which I placed 4th and 1st in, and I'm happy that we have this new Forum up with a format that makes everyone happy.

My website guy Khan, may be moving away soon, so some Main Page updates may be delayed a bit, but he did a great job keeping the site running while I was off in Russia, Germany and other places.

Kollision, great job on the 475 mate!!!!!!!!!!! You are a tough, solid, strong beast of a vegan strength athlete!

Thanks for keeping with us!

_________________

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:30 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Posts: 21052
Location: Austin, TX
Hey Kollision, how are you buddy? I've got a question for you. I know for your bench press you are doing a lot of one-rep sets, getting new max lifts. When you train other muscle groups what is your typical rep range? I know you've mentioned it before, I'm just wondering if you are purposely treating the chest a lot differently than your other muscle groups?

Biceps are your favorite to train right?

My favorite are Legs and Back, but Every muscle group has been my favorite at one time or another, but usually it is chest or back.

I'm also starting to really like arms again :shock:

Have a great training weekend!

_________________

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 1:48 am 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
robert wrote:
Hey Kollision, how are you buddy? I've got a question for you. I know for your bench press you are doing a lot of one-rep sets, getting new max lifts. When you train other muscle groups what is your typical rep range? I know you've mentioned it before, I'm just wondering if you are purposely treating the chest a lot differently than your other muscle groups?

Biceps are your favorite to train right?

My favorite are Legs and Back, but Every muscle group has been my favorite at one time or another, but usually it is chest or back.

I'm also starting to really like arms again :shock:

Have a great training weekend!


THanks for the kind words in this post and the other one mate. Im doin good. I dont do 1 rep max though, I do prolly three reps and I get spotted so it helps with it. For example when I did 475 I had three people spotting and I did it three times thanks to their help. I dont really like doing for one reps. I do Muscle Hypertrophy reps. Meaning I go from 12 reps to around 8 reps for the last set. However when I do try heavy weights I try to at least do more than 3 reps.

I dont treat the chest any better than my other body parts, like the biceps how I do 2 to 3 reps with 120. They are my fav and you still remember :D

I really like to do legs however I am very limited to what I can do. For example squats causes cuts on my traps and many times it affects my lower back oddly, even with just plates. Probably my position is wrong with the exercise. Also with lunges, it causes a sharp pain through my penis oddly. It feels like its constricting or something is going through it. I dont know why but it does. It never did before even at 70 lb dumbbells.

Have a great weekend too and post up your journal and updates mate!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:52 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:05 pm
Posts: 21052
Location: Austin, TX
Thanks for the update, yeah I'll post my training journal soon. Trained back last night but didn't warm up much like usual because I was watching the Suns basketball game at the same time. So now my lower back is a little sore on the right side.

Normally I do a long warm-up but I was really into the game so I just did a bunch of exercises that were near the TV screen (lat pull-downs and things like that) so I just tweaked it a bit. I'm sure it will be better in a day or two.

Have a nice weekend, I'm heading off to work now.....gotta love waking up early everyday! :?

_________________

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:14 am 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 17, 2005 9:43 am
Posts: 83
Location: Aug08-Feb09 Vancouver,BC/ usually: Munich, Germany
robert wrote:
Trained back last night but didn't warm up much like usual because I was watching the Suns basketball game at the same time.


Off-topic: GO SUNS!!!!! That was maybe the best game I've seen all year...

_________________
-tomorrow come today-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:06 pm 
Offline
Elephant
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:39 pm
Posts: 1108
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
squats will always exercise your lower back extensively. this is even more true the taller you are. i should think that if you can do very heavy squats that you could deadlift pretty heavy too (as you dont do them right?).
i suggest trying the occasional deadlift session - you will get hurt all over for days after!

good work with the monster benching!

jonathan

_________________
Squat
Press
Eat
Repeat


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:45 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
jonathan wrote:
squats will always exercise your lower back extensively. this is even more true the taller you are. i should think that if you can do very heavy squats that you could deadlift pretty heavy too (as you dont do them right?).
i suggest trying the occasional deadlift session - you will get hurt all over for days after!

good work with the monster benching!

jonathan


THanks a lot Jonathan. I have stopped doing squates because my back gets a lot of cuts (not defnition, cuts as in scratches) ! I still have scars for over a month ago of squats. THanks for the kind words mate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:16 am 
Offline
Rabbit
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 2:37 pm
Posts: 182
Why don't you post your whole workout instead of just bench? I'd like to see how you (and others here) train.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:16 pm 
Offline
Elephant

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm
Posts: 1448
The front page shows my other workout strengths. Havent updated it but will soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  



{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS }
{ ASACP_CREDITS } Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group