Ben's Training Log

I realise that you like to curl, but could I suggest maybe not doing them every session and maybe doing them as one of the last exercises??

The reason I say this is that biceps are really one of the smallest muscle groups, and fatigue very quickly. If they are fatigued it reduces the effectiveness of any subsequent exercises that rely on them, like rows or chins. With rows and chins being very much more effective for general mass building you want to prioritise these so that you gain maximum benefit from your training.

Also, you don't do any tricep exercises that I can see. The tricep is a larger muscle than the bicep and needs more training stimulus. Two tricep exercises for every one bicep exercise and you cannot go wrong. I know that you may think that I am just a strongman/powerlifter and not interested in bodybuilding, but I live with Daywalker from this board (World Champion Bodybuilder in the Fitness Class) and he does HST at the moment. He included curls right at the end of the workout, after the deadlifts, rows and chins, and includes dips and close grip bench specifically for his triceps.

I hope that you do not take this as criticism, it certainly isn't. I just want to help you avoid making the mistakes that I did at the start of my training (three years ago) and because we have similar physiques.

Jonathan

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24/10/06

Chest press 17.5kg dumbell in each hand 3 x 12

Bent Over Row 17.5kg 3 x 12

Tricep Extensions 10kg 3x10

Squats 35kg (a dumbell of 17.5kg in each hand) 3 x 12

Crunches 17.5kg 3 x10

V-ups 3 x 10

Wow...not doing biceps at the start makes a real difference. Might need to up the weights again!!

Right time to eat!!

29/10/06

Press Ups (with 12.5kg on my back) 1x10, 2x8

Shoulder Press 12.5kg 1x6, 2x4

Tricep Extensions 10kg 3x10

Calf Raises 40kg (a dumbell of 20kg in each hand) 3x12

Crunches 20kg 3x10

V-ups 3x10

Upped the weights on the second day of my workout too. Could do with weighing myself. I am stronger, but having doubts about whether I am bigger/heavier and whether I am eating enough?

09/11/06

Press Ups (with 15kg on my back) 3 x 10

Shoulder Press 12.5kg 3 x 8

Tricep extensions 12.5kg 3 x 10

Calf Raises 50kg (a dumbell of 25kg in each hand) 3 x 12

Crunches 25kg 3x12

V-ups 3x12

As of Saturday changing my programme.

Current weight... *drum roll please* 167lbs!!!

18/11/06

Football for 1 1/2 hours, pulled my groin I think...

Then joined a gym...so my workout was a bit odd as I tried to work out what discs weighed what, and scratched my head as to what I was lifting at home...it didn't appear to be obvious.

Bench Press 40kg 1 x 10, 50kg 1 x 4, 45kg 2 x 5 (not good, as I said I was getting used to what was what...next time I am going to use the Smith I think as I don't have a spotter.)

Dead lift 50kg 2 x 6, 1 x 3

Calf Raises 50kg 3 x 12

Bicep curls 25kg 2 x 8, 1 x 4 (couldn't remember what I was lifting before and so was a bit off the mark, although it felt good...my form was good I think too as I had a mirror to check it)

Crunches 45kg 1 x 8, 2 x 7 (using some odd crunch machine)

V-ups 1 x 12, 2 x 10 (too much on the above? or just being lazy?)

Good to hear that you have joined a gym I think that you were a bit limitted with your set up at home.

One thing though - I would steer clear of the smith machine if I were you. Those things are the cause of many injuries (only one predetermined line of motion - everyone presses in a different way and it tends to put alot of strain on the elbows and shoulders). The best thing to do at the moment is just not work to failure, and build your confidence with the barbell. 5x5 is a good routine for that - two increasingly heavy warm-up sets and then 3x5 at the same weight. Generally take a weight that you can press for 7 reps and start from there. Add 2.5kg every workout, or every other workout.

Good look with the gym training - I hope to see some heavy squatting from now on

Jonathan