HST - Holy Shite Training

Haha crap you're repping my crazy huge max i did on my deadlift.

Ahhhh i got lots of work to do. Crazy lifts man.

Thanks man. I guess we both have a lot of work to do, i'm not really strong (yet)

Today:

Officially the last workout of the cycle.

Squat: 130kg x5. Was hard, but no pain

Bench: 102.5kg x5. Yes! Quite easy

Barbell row (overhand): 112.5kg x5.

Barbell press: 55kg x5.

Chin-ups: 35kg x4. Simply too heavy, i'll use this weight for 2x3 on monday.

Deadlift: 160kg x5. Solid

CGBP: 82.5kg x 5.

Incline bench dumbell curls: 22.5kg x 6.

Dips: 45kg x 5.

Calf raises with 42.5kg, 12 reps each side.

Thickbar dumbell static holds: 40kg x20 sec, 45kg x8s, 40kg x20s.

Results:

5kg over target on squats.

7.5kg over target on bench.

7.5kg over target on rows.

Reached target on overhead press.

Missed target by 2.5kg on chins.

5kg over target on deads.

Reached target on close grip bench.

Reached target on incline curls.

10kg over target on dips.

Overall: success

Next week i'll go heavy and max out on friday.

Looking forward to the strongman session on sunday as well

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Results:

5kg over target on squats.

7.5kg over target on bench.

7.5kg over target on rows.

Reached target on overhead press.

Missed target by 2.5kg on chins.

5kg over target on deads.

Reached target on close grip bench.

Reached target on incline curls.

Overall: success

Damn! I need to do that too! Was that HST?

Your trizeps - never fails you

My favorite excercise of yours

Keep it up. Awesome results!

Congrats on the success! I look forward to seeing how your max's have progressed. Especially since I have been training vicariously for the last month through other people's training logs (haven't touched a weight since the first week of October, ugh.).

Regards,

Sensless

You can "edit" any topic you start and change the name. Daywalker on the pea........yeah buddy!

Glad to hear all the training is going well. I am still in good shape too. I'd like to see photos sometime But I think it is good if we both remain hidden for a while, until we get really big Luckily it is cold, so we can both cover up with jackets, coats and sweatshirts until spring and summer when we are large and in charge

Thank you my friends!

I'm pretty excited about the nice gains myself

Sensless, why couldn't you train for a month?

Just busy with other stuff or an injury?

I was pretty interested in this threat I have never written in "HST - highly shity training"

Is that a spelling mistake?

It's highly SHINY training my dear!

I liked the old name, but Jonathan keeps referring to HST as highly shiny training, and we all use the term now

I'm not sure why - to me doing DL, bench and squats 5 times per week is pretty hardcore

Glad to hear all the training is going well. I am still in good shape too. I'd like to see photos sometime But I think it is good if we both remain hidden for a while, until we get really big Luckily it is cold, so we can both cover up with jackets, coats and sweatshirts until spring and summer when we are large and in charge

Okay man! I'm all in for the hiding idea

But don't forget the rest - grow and post pictures next summer

Today's session:

Plan was to do 2x3 today. I had a hard time deciding the weights

Too heavy isn't good, because i don't want to wear myself out for friday, but too light is bad as well, because i want to be prepared for the heavy singles.

Squat: 135kg 2x3. Really hard. I was weak today. Excuses: i slept really bad this night and the day after a day off i'm always weaker

Bench: 105kg 2x3. Easy

Barbell row (overhand): 115kg 2x3.

Barbell press: 57.5kg 2x3. Failed first time on the second set, though the first was easy. Psyched myself and did the 2nd easy as well

Chin-ups: 35kg 2x3.

Deadlift: 165kg x3, 2. First set was solid. 2nd rep on 2nd set was close to max, couldn't do a 3rd.

Calf raises with 45kg, 11 reps each side.

Cut out the curls, CGBP and dips, too high volume.

Tomorrow 2x2.

I realised today that my approach to the one rep max on friday is not the best one. The strength gains from HST in the 5-15 rep range don't carry over that well to heavy singles.

I did the mistake to increase the weight on squats too fast.

Squat: 140kg 3x2. Did the third set because i wasn't pleased with the first two. Missed depth on most reps. I should have sticked to my plan and do 2x3 with 132.5 yesterday, and 2x2 with 135 or 137.5 today, but thewarmup weights felt so light

Bench: 107.5kg 2x2.

Barbell row (overhand): 115kg 2x4.

Barbell press: 60kg 2x1. What a huge difference a tiny little plate makes...

Chin-ups: 37.5kg 2x2. Easy

Deadlift: 167.5kg 2x2. First set was easy. Jono said that the reason i'm slow off the ground (which i am) is that i let my hips move up too early,i should try to keep the hips low (as if he did ). I did that the second set, and boy, the first rep was hard! It was so hard i thought i couldn't do the second, but i just concentrated on getting it up with a straight back and f**k about low hips Was quite solid, not even max, but i do feelmy lower back muscles now

Static holds with thickbar dumbell: 45kg x 20, 20, 15 seconds

Tomorrow rest!

Thursday prepare for friday, i'll cut out rows and overhead, and do the same weights as today for 2x2 again.

Isn't higher better than lower for most things

I don't know, is it?

I rethought my training plan for tomorrow. It doesn't make much sense to go heavy on the doubles.

I'll rather prepare for the heavy singles in friday.

Something like this:

Squat: 100x5, 110x4, 120x3, 130x2, 140x1. Maybe even less reps, do more easy singles.

Bench: 90x5, 100x3, 105x2, 107.5 3x1

Chin ups: 35x2, 37.5x2, 40x2

Deadlift: 140x3, 150x3, 160x2, 165 2x1, 170x1

All sets should be fairly easy (except the last on chins), so i save myself for friday while at the same time do something not too light and get in the groove for doing low rep stuff.

Looks good, and I think you were wise to re-think. Makes sense to have a light(er) day before maxing, rather than go balls to wall on doubles. Hope I get to see both these sessions, or at least the friday one. Need to get some videos too

I find that working heavy triples helps singles quite a bit without total burnout of the body. The other thing that VE and I have done that has helped is pick a heavy weight we can do for about 3 consecutive reps and declare we have to do 10 or 15 reps with it, regardless of how many sets it takes. Just another option to toss at you. The predetermined number of reps method is quite entertaining and brutal as the first two sets are usually grand in then it is a real grind to do the other 8 or 9 singles to get through 'em all.

Regards,

Sensless

Thank you both for the input

Sensless, i like clustering reps, but not the day before maxing out! Maybe a week before

It's similar to what i'll do, though, i'll keep the intensity low with moderate weights and do singles-triples, only i'll do it less heavy and less total volume

I wasn't thinking about the fact you are maxing out the following day., I guess I was more just talking about a style to train to get used to heavy weights again. Why not just rest for the day?

I haven't been able to work out because I got married (missed one week for this) then went on a honeymoon (missed another week for this) and when I came back to work I was swamped because I had gotten a promotion my last day in the office before getting married so I've been trying to make up for the lost time and do my previous job responsibilities on top of the new job responsibilities. It is brutal, but this weekend I should be able to start training again. I think I may still have an outside shot at 600 by years end on the DL. We shall see though.

Good luck on the max attempts! What are you going to try for?

Regards,

Sensless

I wasn't thinking about the fact you are maxing out the following day., I guess I was more just talking about a style to train to get used to heavy weights again.

What do you mean, again?!

Why not just rest for the day?

I'm always stronger on a day after a light work out than on a day after a day off.

You have valid reasons for not training a while. Take it as startegic deconditioning Good luck with your training!

Today i was really weak

I guess this is partly due to the quite heavy workout on tuesday and partly to my mental approach. I knew i'd take it easy today.

Squats: 100x5, 110x4, 120x3, 125x1, 130x1, 135x1, 140x1, 140x1, 140x1, 135x1. All reps were really deep and with very clean form - except the 140's That was rubbish, hope for better tomorrow.

Bench: 90x3, 100x1, 102.5x1, 105x1, 107.5x1, 107.5x1, 110x1, 100x5. Easy. Experimented with grip width, conclusion: it doesn't matter at all

Chin ups: 35x2, 37.5x2, 40x2, 42.5x1. Easy.

Deads: 100x3, 140x1, 160x1, 160x1, 140x1, 100x5. Damn. I was just to tired to do more, and of course had in mind not to do too hard sets. So i just called it a day.

Walking: 90min with shopping in between.

Good luck on the max attempts! What are you going to try for?

My goals are: squat 150kg, bench 115kg, deadlift 180kg.

Those will be my first attempts after a thorough warm up. I'm most uncertain about the squat. My previous max was 145, but it feels as if that is still my max. We'll see.

Thank you!

I was ready to go but waited an hour for you, Buzz I hope you appreciate it

Results:

Squat: 150kg. PB! I'm really happy with that. I would have expected more two weeks ago, but this week made me feel like 145is still my max So 150 is good

Bench: 120kg. No PB, but very pleased. Two months ago my max was 235lbs ~ 106kg, so that's a nice improvement

Chin ups: 50kg. PB! The height was good, and very fast and easy, but i couldn't lock out, so didn't go heavier.

Deadlift: !70kg. That was supposed to be a warmup, but as i failed on 180kg, it was all i did today. I blame the last week, i think i peaked a week ago. Next time i won't go heavy for a week after the cycle, just one day or two with easy doubles, then max out.

Funny how this turned out. I was really scared of the 150kg attempt at squat, but pretty sure for 180 on deads.

Now it's 2 weeks of eating, resting, cardio, ab and rotator cuff work.

Next week i'll test my training weights for next cycle.

Are you sure Alex wasn't cheating...when he visited me a "20kilo" plate fell out of his bag and sounded like an empty water bottle falling on the floor. I don't know what else he would have used it for other than showing up Rob during the VV and maybe you guys in Scottland

I'm friends with your friends too so thats why I've gotta let the cat out of the bag for them too. If I didn't like them or if they weren't vegan I'd keep my mouth shut. As for the willy thing I scare them away when they find out the truth no matter if I set myself up or if they do it so nothing helps in that dept...luckily I have a girlfriend now that understands my deformaties

We had an eat-a-t(h)on today here at the Edinburgh vegan strength cult HQ. Goal was as many calories as possible.

Here's what i ate today:

400ml water

200g Apple = 100kcal

300ml Apple Juice + 20g pea Protein ~ 200kcal

100g Brown rice + 200ml soymilk ~ 440kcal

100g Brown rice + 50g Cashews + 25g Sauce ~ 670kcal

550g soyoghurt ~ 380kcal

100g potato Chips = 485kcal

100ml Apple Juice = 40kcal

100g Brown rice + 50g cashews + 120g Broccoli + 120g carrots + blackbean sauce ~ 945kcal

2 veggie Burgers, 300g wholemeal bread with BBQ sauce & mayonaise, 120g peas&soy beans ~ 1370kcal

Builder Bar = 270kcal

200ml Apple Juice = 80kcal

50g potato Chips = 240kcal

100g Brown rice + 300g soyoghurt, Builder Bar = 830kcal

Total: 6650kcal.

I went the sensible approach, not too much fast food, and keep it light in the beginning of the day. I was hungry all the time until the potato chips, and the veggie burgers filled me up a bit.

Except for the smoothies and potato chips, it's food i would eat on any normal day, though usually i have more veggies and fruit.

"Exercise": 2x10min bike, 20min walk

Today we went to the strongman training ground in Markinch. It's really cool to go there, there are a lot of very strong guys and i'm by far the weakest person in the hall.

Here's what i did:

Atlas Stones:

80kg x3, 2

100kg 2x1

110kg: lifted it twice, quite easily, but just couln't get it up the platform. I think it was about as close as the 100kg was last time.

Tire Flip:

300-320kg tire: 10, 5, 5, and then 10 timed flips: 43.x seconds This tire is quite easy and really fun to flip

Had a go at the heavy one, around 410kg, but couldn't even budge it.

It was very impressive to see Jonathan flip the bugger at his 4th attempt

That was what i came for, and then i played around a bit:

Hand over hand pull:

Fucking heavy chain. I managed to pull it twice, it's just a tad too heavy for me - now.

Power Stairs:

Moved the 200kg weight up the first two stairs (the stairs increase about an inch in height every step), but couldn't get it up the third. I was pretty spent from all i've done before.

I think i'll have an eat-a-thon tomorrow again for recovery purposes

Tuesday i'll try my strength on power cleans, pull ups, curls, maybe rows too.

Then it's 12 days rest - i mean, strategic deconditioning!