Help me settle a bet, please.

veganmadre

Alright, this question is mainly for guys, but I'll graciously accept all input - Tell me this, men, would you approach just anyone on the street and introduce yourself? Or, would you be most likely to do this if you found the person attractive?

Rule out that this person be wearing something political or activist that would draw you to comment on their ideas/ideology. Would you approach someone in plain clothes,etc just to be friendly?

I'm dirt poor, so I don't have money riding on this bet but, I do highly enjoy being "right".

I never walk up and introduce myself to someone unless I have a prior reason to do so*. From a relationship point of view, I wouldn't try to start one by picking someone randomly, or by picking someone who has fortunate physical genetics.

*I have introduced myself to people who look lost / confused / in trouble, and helped them out. But again, this is a prior reason to choose to talk to them.

Richard...you don't have a "Machismoistic" (new word) bone in your body. So, you wouldn't approach anyone to introduce your self, tell him/her where you live, your living situation, etc. I probably wouldn't either. Some days I'm very bold, but not typically with strangers...

But, for those of you who are bold...would you do the above with anyone or just someone you find attractive? Would you consider the above - "hitting" on someone or just curiousity?

I'd really like to be right so I'm sending everyone on this thread mental vibes to answer reflective of my opinion. Lets take a moment....oommm, oommmm...meditate with me.

I start conversation with strangers, like at the gym or on a train or in a queue or something. But the way the question was phrased was as though it was a woman I was approaching with the idea of a possible date in the future. On the train, I start the conversation with whoever is sat next to me. Last time I did that it was with an elderly couple, neither of whom I found attractive.

Alright, I'll just clarify it. I had a guy come up to me yesterday as I was walking (daily exercise regiment) and just start talking to me. There was a language barrier (English/Spanish) but he was asking me where I live, telling me about where he lives and (i believe he told me this twice) that he lives with a roommate. I was caught of guard and didn't really respond well because I walk with headphones to avoid social contact. I mentioned to my boyfriend that I thought the guy was possibly hitting on me and my boyfriend laughed! Laughed, I say! As though I am soo horribly undesirable noone would possibly think of hitting on me! So, I bet him that most men don't just go up to women and start "talking" to them on the street.

Hmmm. maybe the lines are too blurred. Oh, well.

And, Richard, I got the supplies to make my shirt!! I may have to come up with another "awesomeness or awesome" phrase, however since it looks like it might be difficult to fit it on the actual shirt.

I would definitely find it weird if a stranger came up to me in the street and started a conversation about nothing in particular. I would wonder what they wanted. Not necessarily conclude that they want my pants, but I would assume that it was more than 'just being friendly'. I mean I am surprised when a stranger says 'Hi' in the street.

For the Tshirt, do the phrase on more than one line:

THERE ARE NO

BOUNDARIES TO

AWESOMENESS

if you split up the shurt correctly, I don't see why it wouldn't work. The way I divided the phrase, there wouldn't be much stretching would there? Unless I am misinterpretationalizing what you mean

Edited by Richard

I am way too shy and insecure to go up to someone on the street and introduce myself. Now, when I was single I sometimes would, but it was always because I found the woman attractive (in some way). I wasn't always hitting on her, sometimes I just wanted to talk, but there had to be something that attracted me to her in the first place to overcome my shyness. I know it is sad, but true .