HST - Holy Shite Training

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6000 calories...I was eating that much when I was 12

Yes, when i was a teen, i ate that much, too. But now we both don't anymore, do we?

So my strategic deconditioning phase is up and running, though i'm still a little sore from sunday.

In 2 weeks i'll start my next cycle, those will be the exercises and the estimated weight target (in kg) for 15/10/5 reps:

Power cleans: 60/70/80

Squat: 110/120/132.5

Pull ups: 0/15/30

Bench: 82.5/95/107.5

Bent over barbell rows (underhand grip): 90/105/120

Log press: 40/47.5/55

Deadlift: 135/150/162.5

Close grip bench press: 65/75/85

Barbell curls: 35/45/55

Dips: 20/32.5/45

It's one exercise more than last cycle, i'm not sure if that'sa good idea, but i don't know which exercise i could leave out. Probablydips or CGBP, but i'll do only one set on those anyway.

Okay, that's the plan - now it's eating time!

Haha

Thanks for the comment, but my arms really need at least one direct set.

They are my main weakness and skinny arms don't go too well with bodybuilding

Today i did a 37min bike ride and 25min of abs and rotator cuff afterwards.

It was quite taxing, stupid hills

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait for tomorrow

Did some bike rides and ab/shoulder cuff work the past days. Tomorrow it's WEIGHTS again!

I changed my plan concerning the power cleans. I think as it's an explosive and technical exercise, it wouldn't benefit from 15 and 10 reps. Instead, i'll start with 5x5 in the first week and decrease reps and sets to 3x3 in the last week. No real weight goal for the power cleans, either, my 1RM pb is 90kg.

Ok, ready to go, countdown initiated

Thanks Richard, i'm not big enough yet - though i'll never be

Wait until the new year after this cycle

Ok, today was a crazy day workout-wise.

I had to wait until 7pm with the workout because we had workers in the house fixing the heating. I had intended to train around 11am, so this was a bit of a turn-off, but okay

I ended up spending the day reading articles on T-nation and hypertrophy-specific.com. This brought insight to me: i have been doing the HST cycles in the past "wrong". Not entirely wrong, just less effective for musclegrowth and more effective for strength gains. I guess that isn't so bad, so i will stick to a similar approach this time. But it made me rethink my working weights for the cycle and i ended up increasing the starting weights for today on some lifts a wee bit.

The workout:

Power cleans: 50kg 5x5. Easy, fast sets, short breaks, focused on speed and form.

Squats: 65kg 2x15. Nasty

Bench: 55 kg 2x15. Nothing

Pullups: 2x8. Focused on form and making the reps hard.

Log press: 30kg x15, 12. Second set was getting hard in the end, so i stopped at 12.

Rows, underhand grip: 60kg 2x15. Light weight, but this was when the wall hit me. My CV fitness is shit after deconditioning, even with the bike rides i did this time.So the whole body workout with 2x15's really get me, especially as i did very short breaks. I had to take long breaks from now on, to be able to finish the workout

Deadlift: 80kg, 2x15. Weight is nothing, but cv was hard.

CGBP: 40kgx15.

Curls: 20kgx15.

Dips: 15.

No calves today, in a moment of insight at the end of the workout i decided to train my calves together with abson the off days from now on I just was too knackered to do that today

So, weights were kindergarden (except squat, as always that's the hardest exercise after SD), but CV was tough. I know from experience this is going to get better every workout.

According to my slightly different approach this time (i want more mass gains ), i won't increase the weights drastically tomorrow and make a bigger jump on tuesday after the day off.

Now it's eating time (brown rice, red lentils and veggies for those who want to know ).

See ya tamarra!

Good day today

The weather was really nice all day, so we took a nice little walk and afterwards we trained. Since the weather was so nice, we trained mostly outside

While the disco boys were pumping away in front of the house in order not to miss possible spectators, it was up to me holding up the flag of hardcore training in the backyard

Power cleans:* 52.5kg 5x5.

Squats: 70kg 2x15.

Bench: 60 kg 2x15.

Pullups: 10, 8.

Log press:* 30kg 2x15. Easy today

Rows, underhand grip:* 65kg 2x15.

Deadlift:* 90kg, 2x15.

CGBP: 45kgx15.

Curls: 22.5kgx15.

Dips: 2.5kgx15. I felt a bit funny having such a small plate on the belt, but it's all part of the plan

Thickbar dumbell holds: 30kg 3x20sec each hand.

*= outside

It's awesome to train outside, i love it!

This workout was much better than yesterday, i did suffer so much cardio wise. This is always the case as i get used to the cardio quite quickly. I guess pacing myself a bit more and training outside in the fresh air also helped

Plus, most weights felt lighter though they were heavier.

So, tomorrow calves, abs, rotator cuffand maybe cardio. Tuesday up the weights.

Now eat

Holy shit!

What a workout! I have to rename my log...

My favorite part is how your "rest" days consist of calves, abs, rotator cuff and cardio . If that's your resting, then the workouts must be REALLY hardcore .

I have to admit, i didn't stick to that plan and had a real and complete REST day yesterday ...

I was sore as hell yesterday, mostly in my adductors, but also hamstrings, glutes, traps. Today my adductors were just as sore, but the rest was okay again. Still, i didn't know how to workout with the sore muscles.

I stayed up very late yesterday and consecutively got up late today I had 2 apples, 2 clementines and a banana and then worked out. As it was a beautiful day again, i decided to train in the backyard It was still cold, but i did a proper warm up and wore 2 sweatshirts.

Power cleans:* 55kg 5x5.

Squats: 80kg 2x15.

Bench: 65 kg 2x15.

Pullups: 2x10.

Log press:* 32.5kg 2x15.

Rows, underhand grip:* 70kg 2x15.

Deadlift:* 100kg, 2x15.

CGBP: 50kgx15.

Curls: 25kgx15.

Dips: 5kgx15.

Calves: 20kgx15 each side.

Lots of stretching, and abs.

*= outside.

Our neighbour saw me and we chatted a bit, i just had to explain why i use these kindergarden weights I know, it's my ego...

I didn't feel well today, i guess because i got up late and started training directly, without giving my circulation a bit to wake up. The weights were easy, second sets just starting to get a bit heavy.

The squats were pure agony though. 5kg more tomorrow, then 10kg on top of that on friday. I hope the soreness gets better till then

The soreness also affected the cleans, deads and rows, and the plate loading

I found 3 Vega packs yesterday so i had one after workout I thought i was out but these 3 just hid in the kitchen

Now food

While the disco boys were pumping away in front of the house in order not to miss possible spectators, it was up to me holding up the flag of hardcore training in the backyard

Hey! You know, there is a lot more chance of spectators in the back garden, though I think it was wise to split it, and train at both front and back so no opportunity was missed

I found 3 Vega packs yesterday so i had one after workout I thought i was out but these 3 just hid in the kitchen

Now food

Did you have to wrestle them away from the others?

No.

Actually, i think i'd have to wrestle Jonathan to get him to drink Vega

He doesn't like it - i'm okay with that

Plus the slope in the back yard makes heavy push pressing somewhat suicidal!

That's why it's more hardcore to lift there

You're just a disco wuss afraid of death while lifting

Jono and i took a short bike ride today, and it was really warm!

I was about to lift when we came back, but the weather changed quickly, and i ended uptaking a nap instead

So, today no outside lifting.

Funny, my sore muscles are better today

I was so sore from the light squats on saturday/sunday, but the squatting yesterday with more weight helped

My shoulders were hurting since i woke up and i was a little worried. During warmup, they really ached and i thought i wouldn't be able to do log pressing and CGBP. But after warmup they were fine. At first i thought it must be the CGBP, because that was the only exercise my shoulders were hurting a bit when i did it yesterday, but i guess it's the barbell curls, maybe the log. So, barbell curls are out!

Power cleans: 57.5kg 5x5.

Squats: 85kg 2x15.

Bench: 70 kg 2x15.

Pullups: 2x11.

Log press: 32.5kg 2x15.

Rows, underhand grip: 75kg 2x15. More a leg andlower back workout

Deadlift: 110kg, 2x15.

CGBP: Tried a bit, but shoulders were hurting, no point in continuing. 40kgx8, 55kgx8.

Dumbell curls: 10kgx15.

Dips: 7.5kgx15.

Thickbar dumbell holds: 35kg x20, 25, 20 sec each hand. Easy

Nice workout

Getting heavier, friday will be a killer!

Edited by Daywalker

Sounds like a good bulking strategy to me .

Yes, that's what i keep telling myself, too

Good to hear your not as sore, but how are the shoulders??? Seems to have affected your CGBP .

Shoulders are ok, now that i cut out barbell curls and cgbp.

I was scared of todays workout all week long, but as bigbwii says, there's nuttin' to it but to do it!

I took care of eating a lot and consistently yesterday as well.

No excuses.

Power cleans: 60kg 5x5. Easy part, warm up.

Squats: 95kg 2x15. That was what i dreaded, but it was friggin' easy! Okay, it was quite hard, BUT no where near max and just cardio wise hard. More to come definitely

Bench: 75 kg 2x15. Second set a bit hard Okay, quite hard

Pullups: 12, 10. First set easy, second set real hard. I suck at these.

Log press: 36kg 2x15. No typo, 36kg. Second set was close to failure, so started push pressing for the last 3 reps. Real hard.

Rows, underhand grip: 80kg 2x15. Makes my legs burn second set was maximum, but i'm confident with the weight, no probs at all.

Deadlift: 120kg, 2x15. I was scared of these, but they were EASY! The second set was actually easier than the first (after a nice 8min break ). Now i'm confident i can make my target of 135kg for 15 next week

Dumbell curls: 12.5kgx15. Harder than they should be

Dips: 10kgx15. Piece of pish

Calves: 25kg x 15, 8 each side.

Minimum stretching

Summary: Why was i so scared? Good workout, makes me confident for the next week and the whole cycle in total.

Now i'm having a bowl of peas and rice, with a bit of Tofu and some self made soy sausages (self made by Kathryn, not me).

Tomorrow no workout, i'll shift that to sunday because i can't workout on monday.

Daywalker,

Awesome workout.

I am thinking of trying your full bosy workout for a couple of weeks.

I will be pressed for time and will not be able to make it to the gym everyday so I think your strategy would be perfect for me.

What would mimic the Log press in the gym?

Is this like a military press?

Keep on lifting.

Nice workout Mr D, but honestly, I do not think that I have ever seen anyone use so many goddamn smilies in one post! What are you? Crazy?

Man, what's wrong with you!?

If you can't find something to critizise in my training you pick on the smilies! There are only 18 of them! They add a nice and personal touch and as much information as the words!

By the way, i'm not crazy, just a little cracked As you should know

Harley, a full body workout is suitable for everyone, i can really recommend it. You don't need to have exactly the same exercises,i vary them around myself. You should have squats, deadlift, and then one kind of each:

- vertical press (barbell/dumbell/log)

- horizontal press (bench, incline bench, barbell/dumbell)

- horizontal pull (=row, barbell/dumbell/cable)

- vertical pull (chinups/pullups/lat machine)

That's the base, you can add dips (vertical down press), upright rows/cleans (vertical pulls upward), calves, abs, arm exercises if you wish.

Good luck

I'm just about to workout now

@ Harley:

What do you mean "go all out" on each set? You should not reach muscle failure with this program!The sets should be heavy, but you should always be able to complete the last rep without help and with proper form. Three times per week would be best i think.

I just started to do grip work, my grip has been an issue for rows and deadlift. I use a thick bar dumbell at the moment for grip training. If you have no access to that, just use a very heavy barbell or dumbell and hold it for as long as you can. If you can hold it for 30 seconds, it's not heavy enough!!

Time for me to train now!

Nice workout

Something strange occured to me this night.

I'm not sure if i was dreaming or what, but i think i had a cramp in my left quads I never had a cramp in my quads before, and certainly not while sleeping! I stretched the quads while being more asleep than awake, and it helped...

This morning, my quads were sore, but only on the left side, so it can't be from lifting, especially as i had yesterday off.

Stretching helped a lot, but the squats today were still quite painful.

I blame it on Jonathans smoothie

Workout:

Power cleans: 62.5kg 4x5. Still very easy.

Squats: 100kg x15. Harder than i thought, but solid.

Bench: 80 kg x15. Again, hard but solid.

Pullups: 13, 10. First set really easy, second set quite hard.

Log press: 38.5kg x15. Last two with a push.

Rows, underhand grip: 85kg x15. Lower back is the limiting factor at the moment.

Deadlift: 125kg x15. Hard but i expected that

Dumbell curls: 13kgx15.

Dips: 12.5kgx15.

Thickbar dumbell holds: 40kg 3x20sec each hand. Left hand was failing at the end of the last two sets, a real struggle.

Minimum stretching.

Tomorrow no workout, i make a trip to Manchester!

Next workout tuesday night.

Stay tuned

Edited by Daywalker