I just dont get the resistance to "animal rights"

compassionategirl

Dont get me wrong - the bottom line (important line) is that somebody is vegan which is great news for themselves, the animals and the enviro.

So I applaud veganism. period.

But...I just dont get how people can be motivated by ONLY health reasons, and not be motivated by compassion and empathy.

I just dont understand what it is about a human being that makes them resistant to OR uncomfortable with the notion of animal rights, or "ethical" veganism, or kindness to animalsl or whatever word you want to use.

Why are people so threatened with the idea of extending compassion towards those who deserve it the most - i.e. animals, because they are so morally innocent, voiceless and defenseless.

In fact, how could anybody NOT feel sorry for an animal riding in the slaughter house bound truck, terrified, weak, sick, hungry and thirsty??

This is something that just blows my mind and I am genuinely asking all you "health" vegans to please explain to me what mechanism it is within you that resists the idea of mercy for animals???

I am just baffled with this and struggle with it constantly.

What better reason to go veg#n than the reason of sparing an innocent and sentient creature his life?

Oh ya....its because they taste good.

When somebody says "I am vegan for health reasons" I just dont get it.

What about the animals? As if billions of innocent lives lost for something as frivikous as human tastebuds is not good enough a reason in and of itself to go vegan IMMEDIATELY. As if there is any question about the immorality and the utter descpicability of what you see in Meet your meat.

I just give up. If a man has the heart to cut a chickens throat (or pay somebody else to do it), well, then I just dont know anymore.

The true measure of a man's heart can be judged by the way he treats those that are utterly at his mercy: the animals.

what do people find so hard or threatening about being kind to animals that make people so resistant to compassion for animals?

It is almost as if the compassion and mercy in a human heart is zero sum, and if you give it to an animal, you will have less to give to humans.

People are so odd.

I believe that children have great, pure, unjaded, uncorrupted wisdom. Ever notice that most children have a natural sympathy for animals and arae drawn to animals ? I use to think that most adult humans had a natural sympathy for animals still somewhere deep inside them, even if this sympathy lay dormant and needed to be activated (as was the case with me). But honestly, I just think that some people are weak. plain and simple.

Edited by compassionategirl

Dont get me wrong - the bottom line (important line) is that somebody is vegan which is great news for themselves, the animals and the enviro.

So I applaud veganism. period.

But...I just dont get how people can be motivated by ONLY health reasons, and not be motivated by compassion and empathy.

I just dont understand what it is about a human being that makes them resistant to OR uncomfortable with the notion of animal rights, or "ethical" veganism, or kindness to animalsl or whatever word you want to use.

Why are people so threatened with the idea of extending compassion towards those who deserve it the most - i.e. animals, because they are so morally innocent, voiceless and defenseless.

In fact, how could anybody NOT feel sorry for an animal riding in the slaughter house bound truck, terrified, weak, sick, hungry and thirsty??

This is something that just blows my mind and I am genuinely asking all you "health" vegans to please explain to me what mechanism it is within you that resists the idea of mercy for animals???

I am just baffled with this and struggle with it constantly.

What better reason to go veg#n than the reason of sparing an innocent and sentient creature his life?

Oh ya....its because they taste good.

When somebody says "I am vegan for health reasons" I just dont get it.

What about the animals? As if billions of innocent lives lost for something as frivikous as human tastebuds is not good enough a reason in and of itself to go vegan IMMEDIATELY. As if there is any question about the immorality and the utter descpicability of what you see in Meet your meat.

I just give up. If a man has the heart to cut a chickens throat (or pay somebody else to do it), well, then I just dont know anymore.

The true measure of a man's heart can be judged by the way he treats those that are utterly at his mercy: the animals.

what do people find so hard or threatening about being kind to animals that make people so resistant to compassion for animals?

It is almost as if the compassion and mercy in a human heart is zero sum, and if you give it to an animal, you will have less to give to humans.

People are so odd.

I use to think that most humans had a natural sympathy for animals, even if this sympathy lay dormant and needed to be activated (as was the case with me). But honestly, I just think that some people are weak. plain and simple.

Nicely said. I agree with everything you wrote, it is ridiculous. I see people just as bad as terrorist because their actions and choices causes terror into more animals than they ever will on humans.

Then we cry when theres stuff like 9/11. Wake up people, you are doing the same thing, actually, you are doing way worse!

If you can't believe people just don't care, look around. The whole world is about money and power, there is no time to care. Saying you care about the animals being slaughtered can give you a vulnerable position becouse of all the critisism. People don't like to set themselves up to get hurt. You get a lot of critisism when you don't eat meat, and some people are afraid of that. Deep down most people know they are wrong, but don't want to admit it and therefore make it seem like they don't care about animal suffering. Therefore it is nice to have forums like these where people can care.

I personally don't know why I never liked to eat meat, but I guess it just felt wrong and ing. And I stopped eating eggs and drinking milk becouse I have learned that's just as bad as eating meat.

Someone who is 'vegan' for health reasons will still buy leather, buy animal tested products etc. I don't understand it either. I agree with what's been said. I like the action of someone following a vegan diet, no matter what the reason. But if someone morally thinks it's acceptable to kill animals, then I think that's bad. Like around here where I live, it's all white people, there is no real chance for 'racism' to physically manifest. But upon talking to people, they still show a racist way of thinking, even if it's not displayed in their actions. It's sad.

Sadly the vast majority of population just don't care. It interferes with their own comfortable self interest. Caring means stepping out of that comfortable little bubble that is work, shopping, moaning about child care,

designer clothes, gettiing a new car thats better than the mates, avoiding the kids as much as possible, getting drunk at home, going out at the weekend and getting drunk, going on holiday abroad, then never leaving the hotel complex, getting drunk on holiday as that's what it's about isn't it, reading celebshitty magazines, making sure the new conservatory is bigger than the neighbours, watching Big Brother, replacing the Kitchen every two years then using it to reheat takeaways, moaning about all the debt they're in as a result of the above, but going out and buying another jacket, pair of jeans and trainers as the dozen that are already in the wardrobe have, shock horror been worn twice ! Oh, but whilst shopping for yet more c**p they did sign that anti vivisection petition at the animal rights stall as it's so cruel, couldn't take any of the leaftlets though as it would put them right off their dinner. Shall we go to Mc*****d's now ?

How do we get the vast majority of scumbags that make up the population to care ? Sadly I don't think we can. However we can never stop trying as every so often you'll get one with that spark that says not all the compassion has been knocked out of them, and that is a wonderful feeling.

Oh, but whilst shopping for yet more c**p they did sign that anti vivisection petition at the animal rights stall as it's so cruel, couldn't take any of the leaftlets though as it would put them right off their dinner. Shall we go to Mc*****d's now ?

such eloquent bitterness...love it!