another introduction

LukeTaLife

firstly just want to say i have been a lurker on here for a few weeks now and totally impressed by the compassion and constant encouragement by the people on here

I have been vegan for 6 years and over the last two years have tried to work out and rectify the situation of being a skinny 6ft 1 guy (it did help a little) but due to university commitments lost momentum. I have been back again for the last 3 weeks and want to make sure i do it right and thought the best people to ask are you guys.

Now i dont want to ask for much but, basically i would like , to be bigger, more defined and be so strong that i can push walls over. Although unrealistic i think it is unfair to take an incredible hulk dream away from me.

Currently i am training 5 days a week

rotating a 2 day program with one day of cardio

Chest/Shoulders/ABS/Triceps

Back/Legs/Biceps

I am currently doing 3 sets of 12 (well trying to) with 2 excercises on each body part.

Im not sure if its not enough , too much etc. ( i think you are getting the idea i have no clue)

My diet is particulary bad - I eat at whatever time i wake up ( i play in a band and on tour alot and being on uni holidays doesnt help muc so some days i have two meals other days it will be a packet of not dogs.

the questions

Ill buy the protein , ill buy the creatine just what do you recommend - the food you recommend? the excercises etc?

any help will be greatly appreciated and eagerly look forward to any responses that will help

Luke

PS The day i found this , i genuinely sat and read everything everyone had to say for 8 hours, which actually stopped me from going to the gym that day, probably not the goal of the forum , but i am def determined to break some walls

help me!

Welcome, Luke. I'm sure you'll find your answers here. I'm not personally keen on supplements other than Vega, which I use more as a meal replacement, and less for its sheer protein volume (I only ever have 1 scoop at a time). I've had good success for me, mostly just eating good whole foods. But I'm no bodybuilder, I'm a fighter. Different goals. Retaining too much water (like with creatine) would just put me out of my weight class, which I have to cut to make right now anyway. All of my workouts are body-weight and cardio.

And, remember, the strength to push walls over is not in the arms and legs - it is in the mind.

Welcome Luke! As Trev said, I am sure you will find answers to your questions and plenty of good advice too. I'll bet that Daywalker and Robert will be writing something to you soon. There are many dedicated bodybuilders on this site. How much do you weigh now Luke? And you are 6' 1''?

Vega is really fine! FOOD FIGHT! sends it right to your door, and if you tell Robert that you ordered some he will probably send you a "care package" of Vega bars and other goodies. Hemp protein is considered better than soy by some. I like to use different protein sources, not the same one all of the time. Seeds and nuts are always great to snack on. Quinoa is really a cool high protein grain.

Good luck with your goals! You can do it!

Welcome Luke!

We will help you break walls and knock them over.....as long as it is done with compassion

Thanks for finding our website and joining our forum. We have an awesome community that grows everyday. One of my goals is to have members everywhere so members can start hanging out with other forum members in person on a regular basis. It is already happening in many parts of the world and it is exciting.

We'll have all kinds of suggestions for you. Most won't put too many in this introductions section because they get lost, but if you post questions in fitness or bodybuilding or beginner's questions, we'll jump all over it and give you lots of tips.

A bunch of us have made some serious gains over the years and we have tips to share with you.

All the best in your journey to take down walls. We'll help you every step of the way.

Welcome aboard!

big thanks to everyone so far

i forgot to mention

im from Melbourne,Australia

Im searching the net now for all things vegan and protein

none say wall breaking, but well continue to search

ps - 80 kilos

i think the problem is i dont have a goal in particular in mind to work towards - just kind of what i said at the start

Im not sure if its not enough , too much etc. ( i think you are getting the idea i have no clue)

The quick answer to this is: As long as you are getting better and/or bigger and/or loose bodyfat you are on the right way.

Welcome aboard! and to quoto a big one: "Shut up and train!"

Welcome Luke

Now i dont want to ask for much but, basically i would like , to be bigger, more defined and be so strong that i can push walls over. Although unrealistic i think it is unfair to take an incredible hulk dream away from me.

I like you already

We're in the same boat, same height, same goals,and i'm also rather skinny by nature.

I suggest reading the stickies in the training section and then post your own training log here for comments and advice.

Good luck with your goals!

Hey dude, I am far from being an expert, but I'd recommend that if you're aiming to get bigger, that 12 reps is too much. You should be aiming for lower reps, higher weight. So pick a weight which is too heavy for you to do 12 with, but you can do 6 or 8 with or something. I have found that for myself, if I stick with doing 12 reps of something, I don't tend to improve very much in terms of size and strength. Whereas, if I pick up a weight that I am struggling with, then I progress each time with it gradually being able to lift it, and then going on to the next weight etc.