HST - Holy Shite Training

I blame it on Jonathans smoothie

I blame a lot of things on Jonathan's smoothies

As for cramped quad, that's happened to me a few times (usualy the calf for me though) and it releases a lot of lactic acid so I always have 'DOMS' after a nasty muscle cramp, is that like how yours was?

Have fun in Manch!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good static holds with the dumbell there mate - you are fast catching me with them!

You're right of course

But i had a typo in there - it was only 40kg Still most awesome of course

The trip to Manc was most pleasant

I had good food all around and i just love travelling and meeting awesome vegan people

Got home yesterday evening and went to work (out) straight away. Felt a bit tired, but okay.

Power cleans: 65kg 4x5. It's getting heavier

Squats: 105kg x15. Easy enough weight-wise, though cardio was nasty.

Bench: 82.5 kg x15. Really hard, though no failure.

Pullups: 14, 10. Much harder than last time.

Log press: 41kg x15. Surprisingly "easy" - only last one with a push.

Rows, underhand grip: 87.5kg x14. Couldn't hold it for longer. First 10 were easy.

Deadlift: 130kg x15. Easy!

Dumbell curls: 15kgx15.

Dips: 15kgx15.

One leg calf raises: 25kg x 15, 12.

For most exercises the weight will stay the same today. Well, all except cleans, squats, deads, dips and curls

Crystal, yes, i stand on the edge of the power rack and hold a dumbell Nice avatar by the way

Shite day today

Was physically and mentally tired in the evening and on the brink of not working out and just eat and rest instead - would have been wise. But being unwise sometimes i rather had a shitty workout

Power cleans: 67.5kg 4x5. Felt heavy, but was easy.

Squats: 107.5kg x15. so far, so good, not a problem.

Bench: 82.5 kg x14. Damn. First 10 reps were easier than yesterday

Pullups: 14, 10.

Log press: 41kg x15. Last three with a push.

I was really out of steam and contemplating to stop and not making it worse by overtraining... but then decided to give the rows a try anyway:

Rows, underhand grip: 87.5kg x12. That was it. I didn't really push it, and the first 10 were easy, but no power left in my lower back. Decided it wouldn't be beneficial to deadlift today, and dips made no sense either after the struggle with bench and log press.

Thickbar dumbell holds: Figured that wouldn't make a big difference in terms of overtraining. 45kg x 16 seconds. Couldn't hold it for longer than 2secs or so on second try, reduced the weight. 40kg x 15, 20sec each hand.

So, going to rest tomorrow and then continue as planned on friday.

Nice avatar by the way

Thanks, but it wasn't my idea

Was physically and mentally tired in the evening and on the brink of not working out and just eat and rest instead - would have been wise. But being unwise sometimes i rather had a shitty workout

I'm with Sea on this one! And don't beat yourself up over it. Looks like a pretty good workout anyway.

I guess some days are just bad.

I wasn't quite strong today, and i can't blame iton lack of sleep or bad eating.

Power cleans: 70kg 4x5. Maybe 5x5, i lost count

Squats: 110kg x15. Harder than i expected. I didn't feel too strong during warm up, or i might have tried 112.5kg.

Bench: 85 kg x10. Fuck After last session, my chest was sore and i did a few push ups yesterday. I think i did too much pressing this week. That's why i didn't do 12 or another set at 10, i have to try to balance the workout back again.

Pullups: 15. Were hard, so no second set today. Was still mentally down from the bench attempt.

Log press: 43.5kg x11. Pressing muscles had no power today.

Rows, underhand grip: 90kg x15. Psyched myself up for this. Good set, though the last couple of reps were not pretty

Deadlift: 135kg x15. Heavy, just a tad under my max weight for 15 reps. I could have done a few more, but this was just fine

Dumbell curls: 17.5kgx15. Finally a good set Nice pump

Dips: 17.5kgx15.

One leg calf raises: 27.5kg x 15, 8.

Suboptimal Stretching (=more than minimum stretching ).

All in all not that bad, only bench was shite. I have to be careful not to overtrain.

Tomorrow same weights, 2x10.

Do you workout on your own? if so, maybe you'd benefit from someone shouting abuse / support. For example:

"You're looking like Ghandi bitch, let's do this"

"My mum carries shopping heavier than this"

"What would Popeye say if he saw you like this?"

Those kinds of epithets are often useful to me when I am working out. For example, this morning I was struggling to push through the last set of tricep dips........ calls of "you girlie boy!" and "pussy-man!" really helped me get through the last 40 reps!

Richard? Perhaps we should design some T-shirts with some of these encouragements on them?

I guess some days are just bad.

I wasn't quite strong today, and i can't blame iton lack of sleep or bad eating.

It doesn't look to bad to me

Plus you did suboptimal streching

I see the challange to not overtrain though

Maybe it'll help to keep in mind, that if you hurt yourself you'll have to stop training a specific muscle group for quite a while. That'd be even worse!

Much strength for tomorrow

Do you workout on your own? if so, maybe you'd benefit from someone shouting abuse / support.

The problem is that i tend to do too much. HST is not about training to muscle failure or even near. It's easy for me to mentally abuse myself into training harder

I like that one

Thanks K-oz

I bet tomorrow will be fine

I ate really well today. Just for the fun of writing it down:

3 apples

100g of oats with raw seeds and black currants

2 bananas

(workout - 200ml apple juice)

PWO shake - 250ml apple juice + 20g pea protein

125g rice + 350g green peas

Builder Bar + peanut butter

500g soy yoghurt

Dinner: 150g edamame soy beans, slice of wholemeal bread with margarine, mashed potatoes, seitan, mushrooms

20g chocolate

8-10 cupcakes

bowl of rice, ~100g (to balance the sugar of the cupcakes ).

That should be over 5000kcal

My knee was bothering me today, it was fine after lifting.

Looking forward to tomorrow's lifting

8-10 cupcakes

Mmm, cupcakes! I ate two tonight--pumpkin chocolate chip with cinnamon icing, from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World. Tomorrow I think I am going to make Cookies n Cream cupcakes. (We have friends coming over for dinner so we'll have someone to help us eat them.)

But it seems that if we have too many cupcakes (but is there such a thing?), we should send them on to you, Daywalker!

But it seems that if we have too many cupcakes (but is there such a thing?), we should send them on to you, Daywalker!

I definitely think there is such a thing as too many cupcakes!

I don't know where it starts, though...

But anyway, when you find out you have too many, send them here

Workout today was quite good.

I wanted to train right away in the morning, but usually that's not a good idea so i waited until afternoon.

Power cleans: 72.5kg 4x4. Felt quite heavy actually.

Squats: 110kg 2x10. Quite easy, except my lower back was tired.

Bench: 85 kg 2x10. Pleased with that. Second set not harder than the first and only set yesterday.

Pullups: 2.5kg 2x10

Log press: 43.5kg 2x10. Nice

Rows, underhand grip: 90kg 2x10.

Deadlift: 135kg 2x10. Hard as expected, but solid.

Dumbell curls: 20kgx10.

Dips: 20kgx10. Much harder than expected, i blame that on the relative high volume prior to the dips.

Thickbar dumbell holds: 45kg 3x20sec each hand. Real hard for the left hand.

Forgot stretching and abs

Had a nice big bowl of rice, peas, broccoli and bean sprouts

Tomorrow rest.

Daywalker, per your training protocol, if you can do 15 reps easily is it prudent to increase the weight even though you will get less than 15 reps?

You mentioned before not to go to failure when performing the full-body routine so I am at a loss as to wether to increase the weight.

Even though I tend to always want to go heavy

Thanks for your help

Keep lifting!!

Prudent?

Harley, i follow the HST system/principles.

The classic cycle is like this:

6 weeks, start with 60% of your maximum weight for 15 reps (yes, that is easy) and increase over 2 weeks until you reach your (former) maximum for 15 reps. At that point it's not possible to increase the weight any more without the sets getting too heavy and close to failure (or reaching it). Muscle failure is a big no-no in HST. So you drop the reps to 10 in order to be able to keep increasing the weights. After another 2 weeks you should reach your (former) maximum weight for 10reps, then you drop to 5 reps and go on for another 2 weeks.

At the end of the six week cycle you should be stronger. You decide which exercises you'll donext cycle and test your 15/10/5rep max weight for those.

www.hypertrophy-specific.com

As a beginner, there is no need to do HST style training, it's quite boring. You can benefit from the principles as well just by lifting 3-4 times per week, full boy workouts, no muscle failure, and gradually increase the weights.

All clarities eliminated?

As a beginner, there is no need to do HST style training, it's quite boring. You can benefit from the principles as well just by lifting 3-4 times per week, full boy workouts, no muscle failure, and gradually increase the weights.

Can't wait to not be a beginner to also try that system

I like it quite well

But the full boy workout 3-4 times a week sounds very interesting as well

Thanks Daywalker I am clear.

I have been lifting consistently for over 10 years so I really do not consider myself a beginner. I do take the summers off, except on rainy days, due to my passion for biking.

My strength along with my weight has really increased on this system.

Thaks again for all your advice, you are the best!

Thanks Harley

Sorry i didn't know you've been lifting for so long, you're certainly no beginner then!

For more detailed info on HST check the website. I don't actually do 100% HST, so don't get confused

Ask anytime if you got more questions about HST or my routine.

Today i woke up with a weird pain in my left foot. I can barely move it and hardly walk:?

It's strange because yesterday i had nothing. I tried some stretches, but it only made things worse. During workout it was okay after warmup, but now it's back. Hope it's gone tomorrow again

Power cleans: 75kg 4x4. It gets easier every set... i failed on the very first rep but then got the groove. Not too heavy, i just need to focus on form.

Squats: 112.5kg 2x10. I expected this to be harder.

Bench: 85 kg 2x10. First set was nice and easy, second set hard. Break was quite short though.

Pullups: 5kg 2x10

Log press: 43.5kg 2x10. Easy

Rows, underhand grip: 92.5kg 2x10. Easy

Deadlift: 137.5kg 2x10. Deads in this rep range are never "easy", but it was ok.

Dumbell curls: 20kgx12.

Dips: 22.5kgx10. Better than 20kg last time:)

Because of my foot i didn'tdo calves today. Instead, i did some stretching and abs

Tomorrow weights go up, even on bench. If 87.5 will be too heavy, i'll just do one set or drop reps on second set.

yeah man that's what happened with my tricep and my back before. Each on separate occasions, they both just went from 100% fine to can't move overnight. They each cleared up in about 5 or 6 days because I'm like wolverine.

Awesome healing skills!

I'm better than Wolverine and you, though My foot was hurting really bad the next day (yesterday) when i got up, but it got better and better and is now completely gone

I picked up Crystal from the airport yesterday and showed her around a little. We have real Scottish weather here at the moment though and stay inside most of the time.

We had lunch together and then i worked out while Crystal took a nap, then we watched Brian and Jonos workout.

Yesterday:

Power cleans: 75kg 4x4.

Squats: 112.5kg 2x10. Little bit harder than monday.

Bench: 87.5 kg x9. Dammit Just had no power, still had tomove on with the weight.

Pullups: 7.5kg 2x10. Easy

Log press: 46kg 10, 5. It was quite easy, but on the second set i pulled a muscle in my spine I had similar injuries before, they always happen in a pressing movement and in my upper spine, it's because of my scoliosis. I still can'tmove, i hope it'll be better tomorrow (for workout ).

Rows, underhand grip: 95kg 2x10. Easy

Deadlift: 140kg x10. Did only one set because of the injury, and it was heavy enough, didn't want to wear myself out too much.

Dumbell curls: 20kgx12.

Dips: 25kgx10.

Thickbar dumbell holds: 45kg 2x15sec each hand. Dammit 40kg x30sec each hand.

Today rest day. Have to defy the Scottish weather now and walk to the coop to buy some food.

Didn't post for a few days because the EVSC team was up in the highlands

I skipped my training on thursday, due to the pulled muscle in my back and a general feeling of tiredness and overtraining.

Prooved to be a good idea, cos the training on friday way really good

Power cleans: 77.5kg 4x4.

Squats: 115kg 2x10. Easy

Bench: 87.5 kg x 10, 9. Not 2x10, but then, much better than tuesdayandthe first set was easy

Pullups: 10kg 2x10. Easy.

Log press: 46kg x10, 8. Harder than i thought, and my back started hurting again. Wasn't wise to do the exercise again.

Rows, underhand grip: 97.5kg 2x10. Easy.

Deadlift: 142.5kg x10. Hard, but much easier than 140 last time.

Dumbell curls: 22.5kgx10.

Dips: 27.5kg x10.

One leg calf raises: 32.5kg x 12, 10.

Really pleased

Did some nice rock climbing and short hiking on the weekend. Just came home now, next workout tomorrow.

Good night!

Here are some pics from the weekend trip:

Crew on bridge:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1087.jpg

Scenery:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1059.jpg

Me and more scenery:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1053.jpg

Even more scenery:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1027.jpg

Game of scrabble in the cottage:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1036.jpg

Jono and Daywalker, mountain conquerors

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1030.jpg

Dishwasher accident:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1049.jpg

Do you workout on your own? if so, maybe you'd benefit from someone shouting abuse / support. For example:

I tried this sentence as verbal support today for Crystal, for some reason it didn't have the desired effect

Anyway... workout!

Power cleans: 80kg 4x3. Heavy!

Squats: 117.5kg x10. Heavy but easy.

Bench: 90kg x 8.

Pullups: 12.5kg x10.

Log press: 48.5kg x10. Had to tilt my head to avoid back pain, but was ok.

Rows, underhand grip: 100kg x10. Easy.

Deadlift: 145kg x10. Hard.

Dumbell curls: 23kgx10.

Dips: 30kg x9.

One leg calf raises: 35kg x 12.

Donkey calf raises: 8 each leg, 24 on both legs, stretch at bottom.

Need calories now