Ninja Training Log

Richard, i think a decent cable lat machine is ok to use when you can't do pullups. It's basically the same movement.

If you can do a few pullups at the moment though, you can "cluster" them: do multiple sets without failure to reach a certain target of reps. For example,you can do 5 in a set to failure and you say your target is 15 reps, then you do 3, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2. Or any other combination that feels fine. Over time, try to increase the number of reps per set as well as the sum of reps, but the sum has priority. Take it easy and do it twice per week or everytime you go to the gym. One rep more each time will soon sum up to a nice back

Cool, I will follow that advice. I have a bar at home for chin-ups so I can do it as often as I feel like

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i mean I just kept doing 2's until I got to 16, it would have been 8 sets, I was just hitting 2 and , on the keyboard to illustrate the pattern. I later did another 10, in sets of 2. I'm glad you told me to do this, I should make good progress now that I can actually do them!

Bike 20 minutes

resistance row machine

90lbs x 12

130lbs x 8

150lbs x 5

Shrugs

22.5kg (in each hand) x 10

25kg x 10 x 2

Double handed Tricep behind the head thingie

17.5kg x 10

20kg x 8

22.5kg x 6

Hammer bicep curl

10kg (each hand) x 12

12.5kg x 8

12.5kg x 10

12.5kg x 6

12.5kg x 8

Leg Press machine

90lbs x 12

130lbs x 10

150lbs x 10

200lbs x 3 - began to hurt my left knee so I stopped

Martial arts for several minutes, was good!!

I am now able to hold either of my legs straight in front of me, parellel to the ground, for 6 seconds each, and can hold my leg out to the side, parellel to the ground for ages with my right leg (maybe 20 seconds?) and catching up with my left leg, perhaps 12 seconds. Also getting the hang of doing a left round kick followed by a right turn hook-kick, I always loved that.

ab crunches 20, 12, 12

bike 15 minutes

I am now able to hold either of my legs straight in front of me, parellel to the ground, for 6 seconds each, and can hold my leg out to the side, parellel to the ground for ages with my right leg (maybe 20 seconds?) and catching up with my left leg, perhaps 12 seconds.

Brings back nightmares of my ballet teacher. (insert Russian accent here) "HOLD IT! HOLD IT! HIGHER! HIGHER! DID I TELL YOU TO REST??!!" Ahhh those were the days.

I wish I had had someone shouting at me a few years ago, get my ass in shape. Now I have my own motivation, and this forum which is cool. I took some photos for the competition. Here is one of them, along with a version that I've altered with photoshop to show how I want to improve, I want to lose fat basically, and maybe get a bit more definition in my chest

http://www.godfist.com/goal.jpg

My dad has been using my car today, and will be using it tomorrow, so I can't get to the gym. But I've been working out at home, not really keeping track of it.

Today I've been doing:

press-ups

press-ups with my feet on a chair

press-ups with my hands on the stairs

bench press about 57kg for abour 6 reps at a time

some pullups

ab crunches

some hopping on the trampoline in my room

did some calf raises on the stairs too

Probably do some squats and stuff tomorrow

I've noticed press-ups getting easier today, already did a few sets of 10 and it feels like nothing - which it should! I used to do sets of 50 when I was at university.

Ahrr yes

30 minutes on the bike (kicked ass!)

resistance row machine

90lbs x 12

130lbs x 8

110lbs x 10

lat pulldown machine

90lbs x 10 x 2

incline dumbell press

17.5kg (in each hand) x 10

22.5kg x 8

25kg x 8

side shoulder raises

7.5 x 6 x 2

hammer bicep curls

10kg x 10 x 3

behind the head tricep thing

17.5kg x 10

20kg x 10

martial arts stretches, and some martial arts for a few minutes

ab crunches 15, 12, 12

bike 30 minutes

resistance row machine

90lbs x 12

110lbs x 8,8,10

leg press machine

90lbs x 23

110lbs x 10

130lbs x 12

150lbs x 10

170lbs x 10

tricep behind the head thing

17.5kg x 10

22.5kg x 6,6

bicep hammer curl

10kg x 10,10,10

lat pulldown machine

90lbs x 10,10,10

ab crunches

pressups 20

The free weights in the gym are done in KGs, the machines are labelled with both, but they're based on lbs so it's simpler to go by the lbs. But you're right, maybe I should keep track of it all in kgs.
For me it is much easier to think in kg anyway

If you always measure the same exercises in the same category, you can compare those weights from training to training. So you'll se gains anyhow.

I think an overview in one measurement is nicer, since you can also compare how much more weight you move with another musclegroup. I like to see that. But I mean it is totally up to you

By the way, did you hold the 17,5kg dumbell(?) with two hands?

And what is a resistance row machine?

The free weights in the gym are done in KGs, the machines are labelled with both, but they're based on lbs so it's simpler to go by the lbs. But you're right, maybe I should keep track of it all in kgs.
For me it is much easier to think in kg anyway

If you always measure the same exercises in the same category, you can compare those weights from training to training. So you'll se gains anyhow.

I think an overview in one measurement is nicer, since you can also compare how much more weight you move with another musclegroup. I like to see that. But I mean it is totally up to you

By the way, did you hold the 17,5kg dumbell(?) with two hands?

And what is a resistance row machine?

Well I tend to keep track of the same machine in the same measurements, I don't switch up with them (I think? Unless I labelled them wrong). But I dislike lbs in the first instance, kg makes much more sense.

For the behind the head tricep thingie, I held it with both hands yeah.

I dunno what the real word for the resistance row machine is... the machine just says 'row machine'. But it's not a rowing machine... you sit down on it with a straight back, and there is a pad which is pressed against your chest/ stomach. There are two handles in front of you, and you hold them with your hands with your thumb pointing upwards, with your arms out straight. Then you pull back, so that your arms bend as far as they can, and you pull in your shoulderblades. Etc.

.. and there is a pad which is pressed against your chest/ stomach. There are two handles in front of you, and you hold them with your hands with your thumb pointing upwards ...
Ah, ok! I know, what it is. Thanks

No I have a better impression of your workout.

Keep up the good work

Aha, this is kiiind of like it, but not exactly:

http://www.cityofpickering.com/standard/lifestyle/rec_complex/images/equipment/3.jpg

I gotta lose the flab!! I wanna look like Christian Bale from the Machinist

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/paramount_classics/the_machinist/christian_bale/machinist2.jpg

I gotta lose the flab!! I wanna look like Christian Bale from the Machinist

WHAT?

You'll have to look like Christian Bale in Batman Begins right after that, you know that, right?

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/1049/cinereignoffire46shwd7.jpg

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/1628/pic3388yx8.jpg

So you might as well save yourself the trouble and just go ahead and look like that right away

Edited by K-oz

Well I can't put on muscle and cut fat at the same time really. I want to maintain what I have and cut the fat out first. So I've been rubbing myself against a giant cheese grater to get most of it off, then I will fry myself to get rid of the rest.

Well I can't put on muscle and cut fat at the same time really.

Rrrrrubbishizzle.

As long as you eat clean food (as you do as far as i know) it shouldn't be too hard. Focus on getting stronger in the 8-12 rep range and don't force feed yourself.

K-oz, those pictures are not from Batman Begins!

You should know that!

Well I can't put on muscle and cut fat at the same time really.

Rrrrrubbishizzle.

As long as you eat clean food (as you do as far as i know) it shouldn't be too hard. Focus on getting stronger in the 8-12 rep range and don't force feed yourself.

Yeah, it is possible to do it, but I don't have confidence in myself that I'll achieve it, I think I'm more likely to lose the weight and put on a small amount of muslce in the process probably, and then maybe I'll be satisfied (I already feel like I don't want to be much bigger). But if I get cut and I don't feel I'm big enough I'd continue and lift heavier.

I heard Bale in an interview recently. He had the same kind of London accent that he had in Reign of Fire. It was really awesome, I hope that's his real voice, although he was born in wales. I'd like it if he had a welsh accent too, but it seems like it's London time. EE KNOWZ WOT TIME I' IZ