tamales

CollegeB

Hey I was looking through a paper and found an ad for a place that makes tamales. In Texas this really does not suprise since we have lots of tamales, but this ad said they are vegetarian and vegan friendly. Friendly as in one style of vegan tamale, i dont know if they will make any to order, but they do ship nationwide. http://www.hotdamntamales.com/shop/spring.html there is the vegan one. I havn't tried these since I only found this today, but I may be ordering some or even visiting their restraunt since I have some family near there.

• 1 month later...

Sorry I totally forgot about this, here's the recipe...p.s im typing this all out by hand so you better love me for this.

When i made these i made some adjustments, i couldnt find porcini mushrooms so i just left them out or pastilla chilis so i substituted other chilis to add some bite, and i used thawed frozen corn instead of fresh, ialso just used a big saucepan and one of the vegtable steamer things that spread out to steam them. This recipe is a big pain in the ass but well worth the work. I reccomend a double batch, or even a tripple. And make the filling one day and the dough another day. I'm gonna tackle these again for thanksgiving.

from cooking light magazine May 2003

" Mushroom Tamales

Making tamales can be a group activity. If you can arrange it, have your guests join you to fill and roll them. Just make the filling and the dough before hand (up to a day) so everything's ready. Coarse ground Masa-harina, available at Latin Markets and in some large supermarkets, gives the best texture to the tamales. Dried Pasilla chiles are medium-hot and contribute some heat to the dish. These are great topped with roasted tomato salsa.

Filling:

4 garlic cloves, unpeeled

3 pasilla chiles, stemmed and seeded (aka chiles negros)

1/4 c dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/4 oz)

3 sun dried tomatoes packed without oil

2 cups boiling water

1 large ripe tomato (about 10 oz.)

Cooking Spray

1/2 cup finely chopped onion

2 cups chopped portabello mushroom caps (about 4 oz)

1/2 tsp drieg oregano

1 1/2 TBs chopped fresh Cilantro

1 TB fresh lime juice

1/2 tsp salt

20 Large dried cornhusks

Dough:

2/3 cup fresh corn kernels

2 1/2 cups coarse ground masa harina

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2 1/4 cups warm vegetable broth, divided

3 TBS vegetable shortening

1. To prepare filling, heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, cook 15 minutes or until blackened, turning occasionally. Remove the garlic from pan. Cool and peel.

2. Add chiles to pan; flatten with a spatula. cook 20 seconds on each side or until blackened.

3. Place chiles, porcini, and sun-dried tomatoes in a large bowl. Pour boiling water over chile mixture. Cover and let stand 30 minutes or until tender. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 2 1/2 TBS soaking liquid. Place Garlic, chile mixture, and reserved liquid in a food processor; process 1 minute or until smooth. Set aside.

4. While the chiles soak, heat pan over medium heat. Add large tomato, cook 15 minutes until blackened, turning frequently. Remove tomato from pan; cool slightly. Peel, core and chop the tomato. Wipe pan clean with paper towels; coat with cooking spray. Heat pan over medium heat. Add onion, saute 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in chile misture, chopped tomato, portobello mushrooms, and oregano. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until thick. Stir in cilantro, juice, and 1/2 tsp salt; set aside.

5. Place cornhusks in a large bowl of hot water; weigh down husks with another bowl. Soak for at least 30 minutes. Drain husks; rinse with cold water. Drain and pat dry. Tear 4 cornhusks lenghtwise into 16 (1/2 inch wide) strips.

6. To prepare dough, place corn in a food processor; process until smooth. Combine masa, baking poweder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add 2 cups broth, stir until well blended. Place shortening in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed 1 minute or until fluffy. Add pureed corn and 1/4 cup broth; beat at medium speed until well blended. Add masa mixture; beat 2 minutes or until well blended.

7. Open 1 cornhusk, curved side up. Place 3 TBS dough in center of husk, and spread evenly into a 4x2 inch rectangle.

Arrange about 1 1/2 TBS of filling down center of dough. Take 1 long side of husk, and roll dough around filling, making sure dough seals around filling. Fold empty tapered end of husk over bundle. Tie 1 husk strip around tamale and over folded end to secure (top of tamale will be open). Repeat procedure with remaining husks, dough, and filling.

8. Stand Tamales upright (open end up) in a vegetable steamer in a large dutch oven. Add water to pan to a depth of 1 inch; bring water to a boil. Cover and steam tamales 1 1/2 hours or until the husks pull away cleanly; add aditional water to bottom of pan as necessary, Remove tamales from steamer, and let stnad 5 minutes. Remove the tamales from cornhusks. Yeild: 8 serving, serving size 2 tamales.

Calories 242 (29% from fat) fat 7.7g Prot 6.9g Carb 40.4g Fiber 5.5g Sodium 648mg. "

Hi Chesty, this sounds really nice, and I was wondering if I could use it for the cafe I work in ? Couldn't make proper tamales as you can't get the husks in the UK, but was thinking of topping it with cornbread with sweetcorn and fresh coriander mixed in ? Any chance

Well made a version of the mushroom filling today, with sweetcorn and coriander cornbread, and watched all 36 portions whizz out with requests that it be made again

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/Purrpuss/P1010022.jpg

Yes I know I got the web address wrong In my defence was fairly stressed at the time and being harrassed by a dementor disguised as a work collegue, asking really stupid questions

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/Purrpuss/5557e284.jpg

Not very good, but gives an idea. We served it with green salad, couscous salad and tomatoes.

Any more recipes or things I can adapt for the cafe, please send the ideas this way, they are always welcome

• 2 weeks later...

College if ever you're in Manchester give us a shout and I'll make sure there are vegan choices a plenty

Crispy, no problem, the cornbread is based on the recipe from "New Favorites" by Brook Katz (a vegan book) ISBN 0967 656 427

1 cup cornmeal (polenta)

1 cup white SR flour plus 1 tsp baking powder

3 tbsp oil

3 tbsp maple or agave syrup

1 cup soya/rice milk

Salt and pepper

Few tbsp sweetcorn (optional)

Some chopped fresh herbs or finely chopped fresh chilli (optional)

Heat oven to 180 C/350 F Gas 5.

Sift the polenta, flour and baking powder together. Make a well in the middle and add the oil, sweetener and milk. Stir altogher and season to taste. If using add the sweetcorn and herbs (coriander and parsley are good) and stir in.

Pour into a baking tray and bake for 40 mins. Thats it.

I'll try and get some Madre style fotos next time I make it