Signing in from Los Angeles...

_raVen_

Less than 30 seconds, 9nines. It is 2 horsepower, so it does a very smooooth job.

It varies depending on how much greens I stuff in there, or other things like ice, etc.; but it's about that long.

There is also the k-tec which is even more powerful at 3 horsepower (though it may not be as sturdy/reliable/long-lasting as the vitamix - not sure. I may get one, but I don't need one right now).

How are you doing it? do you put the fruit first and blend, then add greens? I would do that and try to get it smooth. *Then* add any liquid a bit at a time. This may help to get it fully pulverized without too much liquid to move it around and away from the blades. That would be my suggestion.

Otherwise, get the vitamix

• 3 months later...
My Mom had a vita mix when I was growing up. It had a little tap on the side and I hated using it because that tap was impossible to get fully clean. I think it would be better without the tap.

you can order a container for the older model (the one i still use this moment) that does not have a tap (or spigot if you will), which was used for shooting homemade softserve ice cream out of. I have both the old container ( i use for compost) and the newer one, that resembles the one one the newer vitamixes (sp). YOu are right, food would always get stuck in the spigot, and cleaning out was not all that easy.

If you mother still has it, and is not using it, you should grab it and get the new container. I feel that the older design is better, and free is always cheaper!!!

combined my mother and I have had ours for about 15 years.

though admittedly I am using more often in the last 5 years then she did in the previous 10

• 6 months later...

I have been looking at these green smoothies quite a bit lately. I love greens, but it is hard to eat a lot of them, especially raw. These smoothies sound like a good solution. I would like to buy all the fresh I can, but I am in college and cannot splurge so much on it. Would frozen greens be any good at all? Or is it mostly pointless to put these in a smoothie due to nutrient loss from freezing? Bananas are cheap and I love them, so I could use lots of bananas in my smooties.

Is it me or am I confused?

I bumped the thread by asking about frozen spinach and he thought the intro was new. I have never paid attention to the prices of some of the fresh greens in the store and took a look at some spinach. The price is actually closer to frozen than with most veggies, so I can easily afford to make my smoothies with spinach. I am drinking a pear spinach combo right now and it is awesome. I plan on starting to make one of these every morning for a little while and see what it does for me. I will get in some kale and other veggies in when I can, but most of the time it will probably be a banana spinach smootie, because that is the cheapest.