Non-meat protein combinations

Anything else on your mind that you would like to discuss with other like-minded people.

Moderators: Mini Forklift Ⓥ, C.O., Richard, robert, SyrLinus

Over40
Rabbit

Non-meat protein combinations

#1 Postby Over40 » Sun May 22, 2005 11:20 pm

I don't know if anyone will see this, but I'm giving it a try anyway.

I read somewhere that most cultures of the past had non-meat food combinations that they would use to get their protein source from. The most famous combination is beans and rice.

Is anyone familiar with other combinations, cous-cous and another addition were mentioned, but I can't remember the "partner".

Take Care,

Over40
Last edited by Over40 on Tue May 31, 2005 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bond dropped to the floor and did 20 slow push-ups until every muscle burned." Ian Fleming

robert
Site Admin

#2 Postby robert » Mon May 23, 2005 9:43 am

I've heard a number of popular combinations but I can't remember all of them either.

I haven't spend too much time on it because I always just ate a variety of foods knowing that protein is one of the easiest things for humans to get nutritionally. I actually don't know anyone with a protein difficiency. I know there are people out there who fall short in protein, I just don't know any personally and I know tons of people who are vegan/vegetarian. That is why it is almost somewhat annoying when non-vegans and non-vegetarians constantly ask about how vegans get enough protein. I guess its just a common question people have who all their lives have been taught just to eat meat for protein. So that part I can understand, I just get the question EVERY SINGLE DAY at work, or the gym, or via e-mail, or walking down the street wearing my Vegan t-shirts, or whatever.

If I come across anymore popular protein combinations I'll pass it along, but as long as someone eats more than just pineapple all day long they should be fine.

Take care,

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

AreaMan
Finch

#3 Postby AreaMan » Tue May 31, 2005 12:26 am

I stumbled across a great post on another board with tons of ideas for getting your protein, as well as a pretty complete list of the protien content of a number of foods. It is:

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/beginner/ ... 45301.html

I think the author is Bryanna Clark Grogan, who writes vegan cookbooks. She also lives in BC and happens to host her website through the company I work for...small world!

Best of luck,

AM
Insert witty comment here

kollision
Elephant

#4 Postby kollision » Tue May 31, 2005 1:15 am

Areaman thanks for the link. I shall give it a look :wink:

Over40
Rabbit

#5 Postby Over40 » Tue May 31, 2005 3:01 pm

Here is another link I found. I probably should have paid more attention.

>>>If you want to be absolutely certain that you are getting enough protein, you should eat food combinations which form a complete protein, such as:

Legumes + seeds
Legumes + nuts
Legumes + dairy
Grains + legumes
Grains + dairy<<<

http://veggietable.allinfo-about.com/ar ... otein.html

Jon
"Bond dropped to the floor and did 20 slow push-ups until every muscle burned." Ian Fleming

CollegeB
Elephant

complete protein

#6 Postby CollegeB » Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:45 am

isn't this just going back to combining foods such as rice and beans to get complete proteins? I thought this practice was not necessary. However I think they atleast complement eachother well, and probably do make complete proteins.

Return to “General Discussion”