Suz's Kickboxing Training Log

suz

Alright, it's about time I actaully put fingertips to keyboard and got some of my training goals down.

Right now I train four days a week: Saturday/Sunday/ Tuesday/Thursday. I also usually do a small routine on my own before bed if I'm not hurting too much from training.

Training is mainly body weight stuff and consists of: pushups, squats, crunches, dips, pullups, shadow boxing, bagwork, target practice, sparring, technique drills (kicks, punches, sprawling, etc), focus exercises such as holding squat or pushup position for several minutes. I also do cardio, usually varying between skipping, jumping jacks, running, sprinting, suicides, etc. Each workout begins and ends with intensive stretching.

Apart from the kickboxing, I also trail run, although it's been a while since I've gone for a run (due to foul weather). So hopefully this will get me back into gear.

Main goals:

-Increase number of pushups by 5 every three months (Starting at 30)

-Increase number of pullups by 5 every three months (starting at 15)

-Increase running distance/cardio.

-Increase flexibility. Splits - currently I'm about 4 inches off the ground. Want to be completely flat in one years time (don't know if that's too lenient or not?) Round kick height - want to be able to consistently round kick head height on someone 6' tall.

-Killer abs to match my husband

-Decrease my overall body fat

Current specs: 5' 2", 105 lbs

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thursday December 14th, 6:30-7:30am:

Pre warm up: light jogging, stretching

Warm up: sprints, lunges, 'crow walking', and light jogging

5 minutes of stretching

15 minutes of 5 lb hand weight exercises (holding out front, holding to side, full speed shadow boxing, never letting weights fall below shoulder height)

15 minutes of kicks only bag work

15 minutes of takedowns with submissions

250 crunches

100 squats

Cool down: shadow kickboxing

Saturday December 16th, 10am-11am:

Almost didn't train today due to severe trap pain from Thursdays weight training. Dragged myself in anyway (glad I did )

Pre warm up: stretching

Warm up: running, 10 minutes of technique drills

10 minutes of stretching and squats

5 more minutes of running

5 more minutes of technique drills

25 minutes of continuous target training (jab, punch, uppercut, hook, roundkick combos)

57 pushups (no breaks) this is my new current maximum

2 minutes of jumping jacks

Cool down: intense stretching, light bag work

Sunday December 17th, 11:45pm-1:30pm:

Pre warm up: stretching, light bagwork

Warm up: jumping jacks

10 minutes of stretching and technique combos

2 minutes of shadow kickboxing

10 minutes of jumping and rolling drills

5 minutes of shadow sparring

10 minutes of karate block/punch drills

10 minutes of takedowns with submissions

25 pushups

11 regular pullups

2 sets of 3 widegrip (lat) pullups -- first time I've successfully done these ever!

100 regular crunches

40 side to side crunches

2 minute of bagwork

1 minute of holding pushup positioon

Cool down: intense stretching, light bag work

Tuesday December 19th, 8:15pm-9:00pm:

Pre warm up: stretching, 12 pullups

Warm up: 2 minutes of running/shadow kickboxing/stretching

Circuit training, 2 minutes each of:

pullups (16 in 2 sets)

shadow boxing x 2 rounds

target practice x 2 rounds

balance ball exercises

jumping

round kick target practice

weight training/shadow kickboxing

medecine ball toss

Cool down: 50 squats w/ kicks on each squat, light stretching

Thursday December 21st, 6:15am-7:15am:

Pre warm up: running

Warm up: 3 minutes of shadow kickboxing

5x2 minute rounds on the bag with stretching in between rounds

30 situps

50 crunches

70 pushups (1 set of 50, 2 sets of 10)

10 minutes of nunchacku training

Hey Suz,

do you workout alone? Do you go to school for some training session?

How does the bag work look like?

Hey K-oz,

I work out in classes of between 2 and 16 students. There is usually 1 instructor, but for big classes we can have as many as 5 instructors teaching at once. Most students train only twice a week but I train four times a week because I'm insane and I love the rush I get from it.

The club I go to is big, so there's plenty of room for everyone to work individually on their own bag. When we train on the bag it's much like traditional boxing except we also use our feet, legs and sometimes our knees and elbows for strikes (Muay Thai style). When we do rounds on the bag it's all out for the full two minute round (or three) using any technique we have learned according to our belt level. It's a crazy good workout. The class structure is great because it's quite competitive and forces you to go to your absolute limits.

Whenever I mention a "pre-warmup" in my training log, it means I'm working out before class on my own.

thx for reading my stuff, K-oz!

thx for reading my stuff, K-oz!

Oh, you are very welcome!

I think it is so cool, that you are so passionate about that sport!

And it is so usefull as well, I bet you can kick anybody's ass.

So bad guys: take care

I've tried martial arts as well and I find kickboxing so so interesting. I would like to be able to do it. But I have failed several times

I bet you can kick anybody's ass.

So bad guys: take care

My real strength is that I can run REALLY fast from the bad guys.

I feel weak. The gym has been closed for the past 5 days.

9 hours and counting until they re-open tomorrow at 6:30am...

The gym has been closed for the past 5 days.

Oh, I know what you mean. They close the students gym when there are no lectures. So they are closed for two weeks now

But the "reunion" will be even greater. Looking forward to read what you'll have done tomorrow

What body fat at 105lbs? You mentioned MT elbow and knee strikes. What style of kickboxing do you train in and for how long? Do you ever do any knuckle push-ups, burpees, hindu squats, or box jumps?

Here are some websites for conditioning if you get bored with your current routine.

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles.html

What body fat at 105lbs? You mentioned MT elbow and knee strikes. What style of kickboxing do you train in and for how long? Do you ever do any knuckle push-ups, burpees, hindu squats, or box jumps?

Here are some websites for conditioning if you get bored with your current routine.

http://www.trainforstrength.com/workouts.shtml

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles.html

I guess I don't have much body fat...but I'm a bit of a perfectionist

I've been trainining for eight months now. This is the style of kickboxing taken directly from my club's website:

"We teach Mixed Martial Arts which consists of effective stand-up striking martial art, Muay Thai, utilizing punches, kicks, knees, and elbows, best techniques of the wrestling (Freestyle and Greco Roman wrestling) to keep the fight standing up, to take someone down, employ submissions and holds from Brazilian Jiu Jitsu."

We often do knuckle pushups, burpees (had to google that one), as well as box jumps. We don't do hindu squats although I might start doing them on my own, they look cool.

Thanks for the links veganmomma, i've bookmarked 'em they look awesome.

Thursday December 28th, 6:15am-7:15am:

Pre warm up: 5 minutes of running

Warm up: 3 minutes of sprinting

3 minutes of shadow kickboxing

3 minutes of weight bearing arm exercises

15 minutes of stance drills and block/punch combo drills

80 crunches

60 dips

100 squats

40 pushups

20 full situps

15 minutes of roundkick training on the bag

Cool down: light stretching

Obviously you are a perfectionist. Is your goal to get your weight down to a buck even to compete in the strawweight division?

Hindu Squats help stretch the tendons/ligaments or whatever there called, I used to do them. The style of martial art your club teaches sounds practical for street combat. One of my criticisms of BJJ is that some schools/instructors don't teach enough takedowns. I took BJJ classes for 2 months and we rarely practiced any takedowns including the more advanced students. How is someone supposed to apply BJJ techniques in a street situation if they can't take someone to the ground?

This dojo teaches JJJ and BJJ in British Columbia. I don't know of that many schools that teach both styles of JJ. A friend of mine teaches yoga there. http://www.wacademy.net/index.html

Obviously you are a perfectionist. Is your goal to get your weight down to a buck even to compete in the strawweight division?

I think I said "decrease my overall body fat". To me that means replace fat with muscle and get ripped. I'm not bothered by what the scale says or what weight division that puts me in

Saturday December 30th, 9:45am-11:30am:

Breakfast at 8:30am: banana, kale, rice milk, water, flax oil, vega smoothie

Pre warm up: light stretching

Warm up: 3 minutes of jogging

2 rounds of shadow sparring

2 minutes of balance exercises -- standing on one leg for 1 minute while continually throwing front kicks, side kicks and round kicks.

2 minutes skipping

stretching

1 minute of knees up jogging on the spot

10 minutes of sparring drills

15 minutes of sparring drills with partner -- blocking, leg kicks, distance practice

60 squats

60 crunches

30 ultra slow pushups

15 ultra slow knuckle pushups

15 regular pushups

Lecture about watching UFC 66 tonight, specifically to study Chuck Liddell's use of distance to keep his opponent at bay but just within range

Cool down: stretching

After class I had a massive second wind. The vega must have kicked in or something, so I did 3x2 minute rounds on the heavy bag and 6 overhand pull ups.

It was an awesome workout -- a great way to finish off 2006.

Post workout Lunch consisted of: 1 tomato, 1/2 an avocado, 3 giant leaves of kale, 1/4 cup of olives, 1/2 cup of carrots, 1 banana, soy latte.

I'm planning on going for a trail run tomorrow. I'm writing it down here so that If I get lazy and don't go you guys will kick my butt. Okay, now I have to go!

Sunday December 31st, 9:30am-10:00am:

Breakfast at 8:45am: banana, kiwi, kale, ginger root, lime juice, rice milk, 1/2 scoop of vega smoothie

2.5k (1.5 mile) trail run. Pretty rugged, rocky, rooty, west coast trail, lots of uphill and downhill and some sections with built stairs where it's steep.

First real run I've had in a few months, so I'm happy...and beat.

Post run snack: home made raw hemp, kamut, raisin, cranberry, chocolate, walnut bar.

Tuesday January 2nd, 8:00pm-9:00pm:

Dinner at 5:30pm: banana, kale, rice milk, water, flax oil, vega smoothie. 1x homemade raw kamut/hemp/raisin bar. 1/2 Cup carrots dipped into hummus.

Pre warm up: light stretching, 9 pullups, 2 overhand pullups

Warm up: 3 minutes of flat out running

2 minutes of shadow kickboxing

10 minutes of Intense leg stretching, splits, etc.

2 minutes of sidekick drills

2 minutes of roundkick drills

15 minutes of roundkick target drills

15 minutes of jab/punch/hook/front kick drills

60 x situps

25 x pushups

Thursday January 4th, 6:15am-7:15am:

Breakfast at 5:30am: 1 banana

Warm up: 5 minutes of skipping

Intense stretching

5 minutes of shadow kickboxing

10 minutes of sidekick target training

10 minutes of jogging

6 sets of 10 pushups

60 crunches

3 x 2 minute rounds of no contact sparring

10 minutes with a partner of giving and receiving leg kicks for conditioning

5 minutes with a partner of giving and receiving stomach punches for conditioning

2nd Breakfast at 8:00am: banana, kale, ginger, flax oil, rice milk, vega smoothie. Yum.

Thursday January 4th, 11:00pm:

Small before bed workout at home:

100 crunches

100 cross crunches

60 side-to-side crunches

30 pushups

30 dips

leg raises (holding in air) until failure

A bunch of stomach punches and leg kicks for conditioning with my husband Trev (because it was so much fun in class today)

I'm really determined to have abs of steel here, so I think I'll be doing this every night before bed.