How much money do you spend on groceries?

brendan

Check this out, my friend Jay Cutler (Famous Pro Bodybuilder) spends $1000 per week on food! Of course, being a top bodybuilder he has a lot of money and can afford to eat that much.

I spend about $100 a week I think. Although sometimes I've been able to last a long time on like $40 when I didn't have much money. I just ate lots of potatoes, other veggies, beans, rice, pasta, etc.

The more money I have, the more I tend to spend on food, but what better thing to spend money on than your own wellness?

There were times in my life when I couldn't even afford to buy food. I would show up at my sister's house to get free food, and collect soda cans and bottles to return them for 5 cents each (here in Oregon we have bottle refunds when we return empty cans and bottles to stores). I would eat food from as many friend's houses as I could because I couldn't afford to eat.

Now I'm working full-time and working another 20-30 hours a week on my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness company stuff, writing letters to companies, selling t-shirts, working on the website, researching, writing, etc.).

So I have a bit of saved money now I can afford to eat most of the foods that I want to, although I still save as much as possible because I remember the days of not being able to afford to eat. I don't want to get back to that point again.

No treats for me right now either, as I'm preparing to be in good shape for a competition, so that cuts down on food costs too.

You gotta eat big to be big. You gotta eat well to stay well. Keep it fresh!

-Thin Thin Flat Him

including all supplements and stuff, probably $50 a week. more in summer when i eat more fruit, though not much more. i think that my food bill will go down soon as im working at a veggie wholefood shop where i get a 35% discount, and my friend brian runs a vegan organic food buying group, where i get equally cheap bulk stuff.

i do generally eat 4500calories a day, so $7 a day isnt too bad.

jonathan

Too much I've never been so poor in my life!

I'm lucky though, my parents have been helping me out with food. I usually go up to Portland and see them every week/2weeks or so, and if I haven't been able to make it up for awhile, sometimes they'll come down and drop food off. My mom is awesome about buying all sorts of fresh veggies from the farmer's market, and always supplies me with grains and soymilk too. I'd say per week she buys me 30$ of groceries or so? I supplement that when I have to, but I personally try to spend less than $20/wk. So altogether, in the $50 or less range. Getting veggies at the farmer's market is usually cheaper than in stores, and my grains/legumes, etc I get in bulk, also cheaper.

My friend that I've convinced to try veganism went vegan shopping for the first time 2 days ago...he spent $85, and now I'm trying to convinve him he can eat for less so he doesn't give up on it based on cost!

Depends. I love the whole culinary experience...the bulk of my money would be spent on spices, flavored cooking oils and sprays, etc. When I first went vegan, I spent a fortune each week because I bought tons of veggie substitutes...I now use much less and rely on more whole foods....

About a year ago, I was sooo poor, I was eating potatoes, pasta, ramen and beans every day. That experience taught me how to cook! I learned all kinds of ways to prepare whole foods!

Both my daughters and boyfriend eat a strictly vegan diet....Each week we spend about $150 easy. If I had more, I'd find plenty of ways to spend it.