bands that bring you back.

V VII Hero

In the past couple years, I have really gotten into The Smashing Pumpkins. The music total reminds me of when I was younger. like certain songs bring me back to an exact moment and place in time.

The Deftones also do this for me.

does anyone have any bands like this? that when you listen to, its more than just music, its life. if so, please list em, along with the memory.

I have the exact same thing happen to me. When I hear certain songs I'm in a totally different place; I'm back in a certain situation, place and time and back with old friends, relationships, etc.

I'm be a little embarrassed to list my songs since not many people like the kind of music that I like. Most of my friends make fun of me but some like a few of the bands, groups, or singers that I like.

I'll think about some stories and list some. I listen to a lot of country music. I know that sounds weird being a vegan since most of them are cowboys but for some reason that is just the music I like for the most part. I also like rap (if you can't tell from my online rap battles) and listen to a wide variety of rappers from the 80's, 90's and some current guys.

For a while I was also into the Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, and a few others, but I don't listen to them a whole lot now. I even got into the Pop stuff and still listen to it on occasion.

Some people would think I'm crazy if they knew which CDs were going in my CD player each week.

Please don't think less of me, but the CD I listened to the morning of my recent bodybuilding competition victory was actually NSYNC hahaha

But that was upbeat and got me pumped up and ready, so it worked. I also listen to Creed sometimes, and in the same week Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Eminem, M.C. Hammer, and a variety of country music like Kenny Chesney and Rascal Flatts.

See, I told you it's weird. I have quite a diversity of interests in music and not many can tolorate some of the singers I listen to, but they all take me back somewhere and I use music to help motivate me, calm me down, inspire me, and to bring back memories of friends and good times.

The Descendants amolst always brings a tear to my eye. About ten years ago I had this girlfriend, then she broke up with me to go out with a good friend of mine. Certain Descendants songs bring me right back to that time.

Operation Ivy brings back a ton of memories too.

Robert and I have the same muscial tastes Now I don't have to be embarased anymore I love country music Shania Twain and Dwight Yokam are vegan (it's a start). I listen to a little bit of everything though. I love pop,country,rap, and rock. For the music that takes me back I listen to a lot of 80's and early 90's music like

Mc Hammer

Bobbi Brown

Micheal Jackson

Vanilla Ice

And all of the hairbands like

Def Leppard

White Snake

Etc

I have such a diverse taste in music. You could pop in at my house one day and hear gangsta rap and stop by another and hear White Snake pr Garth Brooks

Robert and I have the same muscial tastes Now I don't have to be embarased anymore I love country music Shania Twain and Dwight Yokam are vegan (it's a start). I listen to a little bit of everything though. I love pop,country,rap, and rock. For the music that takes me back I listen to a lot of 80's and early 90's music like

Mc Hammer

Bobbi Brown

Micheal Jackson

Vanilla Ice

And all of the hairbands like

Def Leppard

White Snake

Etc

I have such a diverse taste in music. You could pop in at my house one day and hear gangsta rap and stop by another and hear White Snake pr Garth Brooks

MC HAMMER! Hahahahahahahaha I love it.

Awesome,

I'm not alone. I was listening to MC Hammer's greatest hits just a few days ago, and then put in Tim McGraw Set This Circus Down. Then spent an 8-hour day at work in a specific office listing to a Rock radio station (Linkin Park, Kid Rock, Puddle of Mudd, Metallica, Nirvana, etc.

There is actually a somewhat recent song called "I go back" by Kenny Chesney, and he sings about what were talking about.

They lyrics are something like, "Jack and Diane painted a picture of my life in my dreams, something something (don't know words) seems so strange to me. We all have a song that somehow stamps our life, takes us to another place in time...........I go back the smell of an old gym floor, taste of the salt on the Carolin shore............something something......and drinking goodbye to friends........ and I go back to field at the 50 yard line, blanket of girls and some raspberry wine, I go back........

I used to know more of the beginning but haven't heard it in a week or two.

Anyway, it's just a great song about going back and it's actually dedicated to a friend of his who died. He's going back to remember all the good times and the 16 summers he spent with is best friend.

But there are a bunch of songs that "take me back" and I love the way the music can have that impact.

Thanks for recognizing that I'm not the only won who listens to pop and old school rap but also country.

I write some of my own rap lyrics, (you can read some of it on the comedy battle section of Entertainment) and I have some Vegan Raps I'll post soon.

I love Kenny Chesney I started to mention that song actually. The lyrics are :

"Jack and Diane" painted a picture of my life and my dreams,

Suddenly this crazy world made more sense to me

Well I heard it today and I couldn't help but sing along

Cause everytime I hear that song...

I go back to a two toned short bed Chevy

Drivin my first love out to the levvy

Livin life with no sense of time

And I go back to the feel of a fifty yard line

A blanket, a girl, some raspberry wine

Wishin time would stop right in its tracks

Everytime I hear that song, I go back

I used to rock all night long to "Keep On Rockin Me Baby"

Frat parties, college bars, just tryin to impress the ladies

I heard it today and I couldn't help but sing along

Cause everytime I hear that song....

I go back to the smell of an old gym floor

The taste of salt on the Carolina shore

After graduation and drinkin goodbye to friends

And I go back to watchin summer fade to fall

Growin up too fast and I do recall

Wishin time would stop right in its tracks

Everytime I hear that song, I go back, I go back

We all have a song that somehow stamped our lives

Takes us to another place and time

So I go back to a pew,preacher, and a choir

Singin bout God, brimstone, and fire

And the smell of Sunday chicken after church

And I go back to the loss of a real good friend

And the sixteen summers I shared with him

Now "Only The Good Die Young" stops me in my tracks

Everytime I hear that song,

I go back....

To the feel of a fifty yard line

A blanket, a girl, some raspberry wine

I go back....

To watchin summer fade to fall

Growin up too fast and I do recall...

I go back....

To the loss of a real good friend

And the sixteen summers I shared with him...

I go back... I go back... I go back

Wow! You remembered all of that!? Or did you have the CD with you as you typed it

Anyway, thanks for posting the lyrics, I really like that song, and I really like him.......even if he is a cowboy-type.

Kenny has one of my favorite voices.......another favorite is the lead singer of Rascal Flatts and also Tim McGraw. And also Whitney Houston, Trisha Yearwood, and a handful of others who have powerful voices and you can really clearly understand the lyrics. Darren Hayes (formerly of Savage Garden has a pleasant voice too).

Thanks again for posting Kenny's song

• 2 weeks later...

I must really be getting aged (Like cheese?).

I still listen to:

The Who, The Cars, Boston, Cheap Trick, John Mellencamp, Def Lepard (who I believe NaturalBlonde had listed), Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Dwight Yoakam, Journey.

If any of you recognize these groups, please raise your hands.

Jon

• 4 weeks later...

Don't be embarassed Naturalblonde, Michael Jackson is one of the most talented singers out there, and I love his music today as much as I did back then. Many have compared his dancing to that of Fred Astaire (is that how you spell his name) and I think it is a good comparison.

people say all the time, as I am sure y'all know and probably say yourselves, "He's weird. He's odd. He's had nine plastic surgeries, etc. etc. But what the heck does any of that have to do with his undeniable talent as a musician? I don't give a s%$t if he's had no or 100 plastic surgeries. NOne are relevant to the question of his singing ability.

I would also add, as my all time favourite singer list, Prince and Madonna.

I started a new thread that says "List your top 10 favourite all time SONGs and movies". So what are you waiting for, go and list them!

Natalie