I'm new to all of this as you all know and i've been posting at a few boards and asking everyone I know for tips and advice on how to get lean and toned. One of the tips I hear over and over again is eat your body weight in protein everyday. Well. that would be 135 pounds of protein for me and that's a lot !! On a good day I get around 50 and that includes a protein shake. How much protein do you guys/girls get a day? What's a good amount? How do you get it? Thanks.

I get around 200g-300g a day. Sometimes I'm slightly below 200 grams and at times I've taken in over 300 grams of protein.

I think that protein intake will be different for each person, but I think getting over 100grams a day for the average athletic person is a good idea.

If you're planning on building muscle and adding weight, then more protein will be necessary.

There are all kinds of suggestions for this topic, how many grams per pound of bodyweight, etc., and there lots of other factors like age, gender, athletic activity, sports focus, previous nutritional history, etc.

Check out the main www.veganbodybuilding.com website under Nutrition Programs just to see which foods have certain amounts. I have them listed on there, how much protein per food.

It might give you a few ideas of ways to boost up your protein intake.

Thanks. I printed the list off. I really just don't know how I can eat that much protein and keep calories fairly low. I'll try to figure something out

Protien drinks are normally lower in calories per gram of protien compared to nuts and beans or faux meats. drink 2 of them per day at and that should help you out a little.

• 3 weeks later...

I read that sticking with 1 gram of protein per pound of weight is a good idea. That's what I've been doing. At the first I thought it was too much... But then I got used to it. I get 6 meals (3 meals, 2 shakes and 1 protein bar). Which adds up to 160 grams of protein.

What's funny is that the caloric intake is not much more (sometimes is even less!) than the usual kinda-low-on-protein-higher-in-carbs diet I used to have.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

I just found this board and I think it is going to be a great hit. I have a question relating protein and this thread.

I have read that:

1. It is impossible for the human body to add more than 1 pound of muscle in a week --- that is the limit of the muscle fibers' ability to make protein into muscle.

2. 1 pound of muscle has 100g of protein in it. So a bodybuilder would need to consume 15g of protein each day, beyond that required for cell and tissue maintenace, to allow for maximum muscle growth. Any additional protein is turned into fat and causes calcium excretion in the urine to increase.

3. The U.S. RDA for protein of 44g for women and 56g for men is already twice the value needed by 99.9% of the population. So even if a woman were lactating, or a person had a broken bone, or was active in bodybuilding, then 50-100g of protein a day would be plenty. [i get about 100-150g a day.]

4. Many meat-eating bodybuilders claim muscle growth in excess of 1 pound per week on high-protein diets. It has been suggested that protein is not the cause, but rather, the steroid DES (diethylstilbestrol) that ranchers add to cattle feed to "beef them up" prior to slaughter.

Well, so much for what I've read. What I'd really like to know is if any of you can support or refute these findings based on your own personal experience. (Are you vegan... how much muscle have you been able to add in a week... do you take your own body fat measurements).

Thanks

Hi Sirdle!!!

Is that a picture of you? How old are you anyway?

ANyway, whoever that is, he is a handsome young boy.

Maybe you can introduce yourself on the intro section and tell us some stuff about you? We would love to get to know you better.

And, yes, as far as I know, maost of the people on these boards are vegan - certainly kollision, SkinnyDipper (Dan), Robert, Hero, Tarz, College, Will, Jonathan, Michael, and many more - too many names to list here.

and they all have SMOKIN pyshiques - just look at their pictures and avatars.

I am sure that they will answer your questions.

Hey you havnt seen me! I think Im doin great gettin around 150g of protein each day. It's about all I can afford. Supplements are expensive and thats about the only way i can get large amounts of protein into my diet since I dont cook so much. I need a professional life organizing person.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello everyone!

1. It is impossible for the human body to add more than 1 pound of muscle in a week --- that is the limit of the muscle fibers' ability to make protein into muscle.

2. 1 pound of muscle has 100g of protein in it. So a bodybuilder would need to consume 15g of protein each day, beyond that required for cell and tissue maintenace, to allow for maximum muscle growth. Any additional protein is turned into fat and causes calcium excretion in the urine to increase.

3. The U.S. RDA for protein of 44g for women and 56g for men is already twice the value needed by 99.9% of the population. So even if a woman were lactating, or a person had a broken bone, or was active in bodybuilding, then 50-100g of protein a day would be plenty. [i get about 100-150g a day.]

4. Many meat-eating bodybuilders claim muscle growth in excess of 1 pound per week on high-protein diets. It has been suggested that protein is not the cause, but rather, the steroid DES (diethylstilbestrol) that ranchers add to cattle feed to "beef them up" prior to slaughter.

Well, so much for what I've read. What I'd really like to know is if any of you can support or refute these findings based on your own personal experience. (Are you vegan... how much muscle have you been able to add in a week... do you take your own body fat measurements).

Thanks

I had heard points 1, 2 and 3 before, except I read it was about 65g RDA of protein for an adult male to retain muscles properly. Don't know enough about point 4 to comment on it, but certainly whatever is in meat isn't necessary to do body building successfully. When I first started lifting weights, I measured all protein and calories and stuff accurated, and I took in about 70g of protein a day, and worked out between four and seven times a week. In this period I was able to build muscle alright, and the size of weights that I was lifting increased rapidly. I altered my diet since and don't work out as much and I've levelled out, although I am now hoping to get back into it with renewed enthusiasm and GUTS

I partly agree with sirdle.

I find it not only unnecessary to eat so much protein, i find it also unconvenient, difficult and not tasty

I do not really count my protein anymore, but i make sure that there is a good amount of it in my nutrition by choosing high protein food, such as lentils, nuts, soy (tofu, soy milk, soy "meat" etc.), wheat protein etc. And i calculate the protein from other sources, as pasta, rice, bread also.

I think i'm between 80 and 160 gram everyday. That should be enough for building muscle i think.

Eating too much protein prevents me from eating enough carbs and fat (my appetite is somewhat limited ), which is not good for my energy and hard work outs.

I agree that eating protein helps building up muscle, perhaps more than the theory would suggest, but i believe that the training is the important part.

Thanks Richard and Daywalker for your comments. I found some new information. The Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine, National Acadamies breaks down its recommendations by sex and age. For a male over the age of 20: 56g/day. For a female over the age of 20: 46 g/day. These numbers "are set to meet the needs of almost all (97 to 98 percent) in a group." For pregnant or lactating women the number jumps to 71 g/day.

I did notice that there is no allowance for partial proteins. I am getting about 100 g/day, but that is on a vegan diet. I suspect that the usability of my protein is around 70 g/day. (I am trying to check this out, but it is hard to find detailed nutritional information.)