SportyVeganChick's 2007 Contest Training Journal

You eat alot of fruits and veggies which already have water in them. The only time I drink is during and after cardio and I drink alot less than I used to.

Don't drink if you're not thirsty.

What the. . .?!

Do what you want, of course, but I COMPLETELY disagree with this "advice", and I find it physiologically unsound and inconsistent with your goals. If you want more info, let me know. Otherwise, I won't pester you with it. Either way, good luck.

When you do workout you should fill up with water. I've been playing american football in 35 Celsius and I defenately drank more water then.

What I'm saying is that I find it strange when people run around with a water bottle all day gobbling down 5 liters of extra water per day.

I drink when I'm thirsty which usually coincidence with me eating crap (and not fruits/veggies) or me having worked out for 2 hrs followed by sauna for 20 mins.

What's it supposed to be good for anyway? Weight loss have consistently been linked to a lower calorie intake and/or higher expanditure of energy any theories based on something else 'magical' haven't stood the test of time.

For starters, I can't even conceive of a body process that isn't dependent on water as a primary constituent, a catalyst, or an intermediary of other sorts. The articles are out there--scientific journal ones even, not just opinions or compilations (which in this particular case are often still valid, even if not referenced).

In my clinical practice, I have seen HUGE benefits to getting people built up to consuming at least .5 ounces of water/1 pound of bodyweight. A rough guideline, and hardly individualized, but it seems to work for the most part. And these are relatively inactive folks in many cases. I've seen it work wonders from a pain management perspective, leading me to extrapolate that to mean that tissue healing times have decreased and inflammation has decreased--all things any human wants, including exercisers, of course. I've seen it play a role in relieving bowel issues, increasing energy, and allaying symtoms of depression and anxiety in some cases. While it's not a panacea, or "the" answer, the possibilities are limitless, and water is accessible and convenient for most people.

With those who rise above "average Joe" status, it is my experience personally and professionally that 3/4 to 1 gallon a day of water--consumed throughout the day--is optimal. **This assumes the person in question does not have a condition making this unsafe or otherwise ill-advised. I am speaking of the normal, healthy, athletic population.** Considering all of the anti-water we ingest regularly, such as medications, caffeinated beverages, processed foods, etc., and the dehydrating effects of sympathetic overload (stress) common in our society, those amounts are conservative, particularly if you are physically active.

But that's just my experience and opinion. . .

And I'm one of those weirdos with the water jug. Helps me keep track of the single most important nutrient I take in each day.

You're smart to take in all of the info you can get your hands on. Let's face it, when it comes to water, you can pretty much safely "experiment" with your intake and see what works best for you. I've done it, my friends have done it, my patients have done it. Even if we started out with an arbitrary guideline and went from there.

Here's a link (heads up--I think they are selling something water-related and/or it's not referenced, but the info is still good from what I could tell and I just wanted to quickly look up some bulleted/paraphrased info on weightloss and metabolism for you): http://members.aol.com/SaveMoDoe2/importance.htm

There is a wonderful book out called "Your Body's Many Cries for Water" (I think it was a bestseller, but don't quote me on that) by an MD whose site has good info: http://www.watercure.com/ The info there and on his site will be highly referenced, and maybe a little heavy-duty-molecular at some points, but they guy has worked with very sick people on up, so. . .

Heather, I am definitely interested in learning more about what you know so please share!! I've read that water is good for fat loss because it increases your metabolism (esp. cold water) and helps you feel more full throughout the day, thus decreasing appetite. I am interested to know how else it will help me shed fat. The more I know, the more motivated I will be to drink it!!

Sporty--Here's something specific to water and weight loss. Not a research article, but worth a read all the same:

http://www.inch-aweigh.com/water.html

• 3 weeks later...
On a positive note, I'm finding that I really look forward to my time in the gym and actually get cranky now when I can't go! It's my only time to totally zone out and focus on myself. The "high" or endorphin rush that I get from the cardio is pretty addictive! I always feel so good when I leave.

Good stuff! It's such a cool feeling when you leave the gym feeling better than when you arrived. Keep it up!

Jan. 20

I'm working 11+ hours at my regular "corporate" job, while trying to start a business on the side. I am volunteering at a vet rehab center each week, and I'm also the secretary of the RI Vegan Awareness group. In addition, I've had to deal with my dysfunctional family more often lately than I care to mention!!! Ugh! Two of them are total whack jobs! Oh well....what can I do? The thought of disowning them has crossed my mind!! .

What kind of business are you trying to start? Oh, and my advise about the stupid family stuff -- don't answer your phone

Anyway, I'm really proud of you for getting your workouts in - regardless of your super crazy schedule! Your dedication is inspiring!!

• 5 weeks later...