HST - Holy Shite Training

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crew on bridge

Oh hell no!!! How high up are you?

Hm, that was not THAT high... do you mean how high the bridge was over the creek? I think that was about 20-25 feet i guess. And i think we were about 400m above sea level.

Dishwasher accident

Did Brian do that on purpose, so he can have another reason not to get one?

Haha, you're pretty well informed about the cult

It didn't come to my mind that he could have done it on purpose...

Workout on tuesday was pretty shit, didn't want to post it for that reason.

Here it is anyway.

Power cleans: Felt so heavy that i decided to lower the weight and work on form and explosiveness. 60kg x3, 70kg 2x3, 80kg x3, 70kg 3x3, 60kg 2x3.

Squats: 120kg x10.

Bench: 90kg x 9.

Pullups: 15kg x10.

Log press: 48.5kg x6. Was so furious about that that i did another set: 48.5kg x 11 (the last rep just to prove to the log that 10 are easy).

Rows, underhand grip: 102.5kg x10.

Deadlift: 147.5kg x10.

Dumbell curls: 25kgx8.

Dips: 30kg x10.

Thickbar dumbell static holds: 45kg x18, 15 sec, 40kg x30 sec.

Need to do abs and stretching today, keep forgetting that

Hm, that was not THAT high... do you mean how high the bridge was over the creek? I think that was about 20-25 feet i guess. And i think we were about 400m above sea level.

To high for me on an open bridge, I wouldn't be able to physically move. I'd have to be blind folded and drug across

Workout on tuesday was pretty shit, didn't want to post it for that reason.

But you did it! Better than no workout.

Still eating raw?

Still eating raw?

No way!

Was a good day today, nice weather and surprisingly "warm".

Killed Diabo in the morning, went for along walk around Dalmeny Estate in the (after)noon and worked out from 5-7. Finally a decent workout!

Power cleans: 80kg 4x3. Felt really easy today!

Squats: 122.5kg x10. Muaharhar, that was easy. This was my 5 rep max not long ago

Bench: 90kg x 10. At last!

Pullups: 15kg x10. Much easier today.

Log press: 51kg x10, 6 strict and last 4 with push. Good set.

Rows, underhand grip: 105kg x10. Getting hard.

Deadlift: 147.5kg x10 (again).

Dumbell curls: 25kgx10.

Dips: 30kg x10 (again).

First part of workout was great, but run out of steam after log press. Rows, deads and dips were hard today. I guess that's partly because the workout took longer than usual 'cos Crystal worked out the same time, and partly because my eating today was pretty bad, i.e. little. Still good, made all the reps.

Tomorrow the last time 10 reps, sunday it goes down to 2x5 as the weights continue to goup

Now that I'm not around...Alex has no excuse to eat Raw food...he blamed me the whole time he was in Richmond for only letting him eat bananas and apples

I started working out yesterday, but felt too tired and weak so i just dropped it, better a good rest day than a shitty workout

Friday:

Power cleans: 82.5kg 2x2, 72.5kg x4, 62.5kg x3.

Squats: Just the warm-up (up to 90kg), then i stopped.

Today:

Squats: 125kg x10. Solid

Bench: 90kg x 10.

Pullups: 17.5kg x8. Okay.

Log press: 51kg x10, 7 strict and last 3 with push. Good set.

Rows, underhand grip: 105kg x10. Easy to row, but hard for the grip.

Deadlift: 150kg 2x5. "Decided" after 4 reps that i won't do 1x10. In a competition environment i might have done 10, but that would have been a real effort and could burn me out too early in the cycle. But the break between the sets was short, around 1min.

Dumbell curls: 25kgx10.

Dips: 32.5kg x8.

One legged calf raises: 35kg x12, 8.

Thickbar dumbell static holds: As i don't progress on this one, i decided to go easier and no to failure. It was still quite hard: 45kg 2x12sec, 40kg x25sec.

Was a good session all in all, especially pleased with the squats. AND i didn't forget abs and stretching!

A little injury though: i bit my tongue during the dips. Really deep cut, didn't stop bleeding for ages (okay, 10-15 minutes or so). Took longer until i could drink water without it burning like acid in the open wound.

Can't eat now Had to drink my smoothie sideways

Should be okay tomorrow.

Merry christmas everyone!

Good session Alex - as ever I am impressed with the squatting. As I said to you and Brian last night, if you ever learn to do heavy singles, you will be a squatting force to be reckoned with!

Sorry to hear about the tongue - looking on the bright side your smoothie intake will increase!

Jonathan

Good session Alex - as ever I am impressed with the squatting. As I said to you and Brian last night, if you ever learn to do heavy singles, you will be a squatting force to be reckoned with!

Thanks Jonathan

But i guess i am currently getting better at heavy singles - i did 10 in a row in the last workout

Sorry to hear about the tongue - looking on the bright side your smoothie intake will increase!

Meh

I had soy yoghurt, blended porridge, apple juice and smoothies... yesterday i started the day the same way, but later moved on to real food. Today my tongue is much better already!

Had a good night's sleep, feel rested and tongue is better - only my upper back/neck hurts Can barely move my head left, right or up...

Will work out later and see how it goes, usually these kind of problems get better from squatting

Okay.

Back was better after some stretches, cracks and self-contortions with the aid of a chair

Felt ready for workout today, not tired-i-have-to-drag-myself-to-do-it like the last times.

It was friggin cold in the house and so my warm up took a little longer than usual - in fact, my whole workout was unusually long, around 2.5 hours.

Power cleans: 82.5kg x1(+1f), 3, 2(+2f), 3. Then played with 70kg for form and speed, 5 reps in total +3 hang cleans.

Squats: 127.5kg 2x5. Pretty heavy.

Bench: 92.5kg 2x5. Easy.

Pullups: 17.5kg 2x5. Easy.

Log press: 53.5kg 2x5. Easy, though first set felt heavy.

Rows, underhand grip: 110kg 2x5. Easy.

Deadlift: 150kg 2x5. Again, didn't increase. Good decision, was hard but solid this time.

Dumbell curls: 27.5kgx5. 2.5kg make a huge difference

Dips: 35kg x6. Easy.

One legged calf raises: 37.5kg x12, 9.

Good session, now christmas food

Good session today

Feels good to get back into the groove of training two days in a row.

Power cleans: Just played, erm, i mean, form and speed work 60kg 2x3, 70kg 2x3, 60kg x1+ 3hang cleans. Easy

Squats: 127.5kg 2x5. First set good, second really hard.

Bench: 95kg 2x5. Solid

Pullups: 20kg 2x5. Good.

Log press: 56kg 2x5. Good.

Rows, underhand grip: 112.5kg 2x5. Good weight, heavy but okay.

Deadlift: 152.5kg 2x5. I pulled without shoes this time, because the high sole makes me fall forward more. The first set was friggin hard Amazingly, the second set was as easy as the first was hard (that is, friggin easy!) Very pleased, especially after i contemplated doing no more after the first set.

Dumbell curls: 27.5kg x6.

Dips: 37.5kg x5. Easy.

Thickbar dumbell static holds: 40kg x 25sec, 45kg x10sec, 40kg x25sec.

Good session, especially pleased with deads and bench. Everything was good really

After the workout, Buzz and i watched "Rocky VI". Worst movie ever. Honestly, never seen such a bad movie before. Hm... Rocky V is close though

After the workout, Buzz and i watched "Rocky VI". Worst movie ever. Honestly, never seen such a bad movie before. Hm... Rocky V is close though

But are you masochistic? Did you sit through the entire thing?

No, we are not masochistic... but we are very optimistic and kept hoping it would get better until the end

It's like a car accident - you can't turn your eyes away from it, though it's bad.

Good training session yesterday, today rest.

Power cleans: 80kg x1, 82.5kg x1, 85kg x1, 80kg x5. 80 felt so easy after the 85

Squats: 130kg 2x5. Felt really easy

Bench: 97.5kg 2x5. Nice

Pullups: 22.5kg 2x5.

Log press: 58.5kg 2x5. Easy, though first set felt heavy.

Rows, underhand grip: 115kg 2x5. Grip issues

Deadlift: 155kg 2x5. Harr! Easier than the 152.5kg on monday and tuesday!

Dumbell curls: 27.5kg x7.

Dips: 40kg x5.

One legged calf raises: 37.5kg x 10, 8.

Today rest, tomorrow workout, sunday strongman training fun.

Shitty session today. No explanation, just a bad day. Physically i was weak, but it was at least a mentally successful workout (gotta look on the bright side), as i battled through it anyway though i really didn't want to lift today.

Power cleans: Form and speed work. 60kg 2x3, 80kg x1, 70kg 2x3.

Squats: 132.5kg x5. F**k, that was the hardest set i've done in a long, long, long time! After the 2x5 last session i was pretty confident, but i could tell i'm weak today after the cleans and squat warmup. Very glad to make all 5 reps, wasn't sure i could do it.

Bench: 100kg x5. Best set of the day.

Pullups: 25kg x5. Okay.

Log press: 61kg x3, 2. Loglifting strongman-style Put the bar down between the 3 and 2 reps, but no real break.

Rows, underhand grip: 117.5kg x5. Hard, grip almost failing.

Deadlift: 157.5kg 2x3. Wantedto do 1x5, but failed. Second set was punishment set. Strangely enough, second set was easier, after a relatively short break of ~3min.

Dumbell curls: 27.5kg x7.

Dips: 42.5kg x5.

Thickbar dumbell static holds: 45kg x20sec, 42.5kg x25sec, 40kg x 25sec.

Stretching.

Now food: hummus with pita, and carrots/potatoes/onions mix with brown rice. Tasty - thanks for cooking Crystal

Tomorrow strongman fun - been looking forward to that for weeks now

Wow! That was quite the workout! There is no way I could have done that. I stick to mostly one or two muscle groups per day. I haven't done total body workouts in a long time.

How long does that workout take? Just curious. How are your gains? I look forward to photos sometime in the future, 2008 or 2009 perhaps

I would tell you to Train Hard and Eat Plenty but you already know all about that

Well done even if you weren't at your strongest.

Wow! That was quite the workout!

Well done even if you weren't at your strongest.

Thanks man, i appreciate it

I stick to mostly one or two muscle groups per day. I haven't done total body workouts in a long time.

I think both have advantages, and it's best to mix it up. At the moment, i'm primarily training for strength. Bodybuilding is different from strength training, but i believe bodybuilders benefit from strength training every now and then in the long run.

How long does that workout take? Just curious. How are your gains? I look forward to photos sometime in the future, 2008 or 2009 perhaps

This workout was less than 2 hours in total. It depends on the number of warmup sets mostly, and obviously on the rest between sets. Plus i'm not training in a gym, so i have to set everything up after every exercise.

My gains are strength, not mass. I think that is because i work out quite often with heavy compound exercises, thus burning a lot of calories, while being unable to eat enough to meet that demand.

Pics definitely not before 2008 - or 95kg

Good fun today at the Strongman training hall

I had a hard time trying to hold myself back, even though i felt very weak and worn out.

Here's what i did:

Log Press: 52.5kgx3. 60kgx3. Pleased with that

Squat (As a warm up): 60kg x12, 80kg x10, 100kg x10. World Strongest Man Finalist and current Scotlands Strongest Man Jamie Barr was there squatting today. I didn't realize until i walked up to him and his training partner and asked if it was okay if i joined them for warmups. Maybe the reason that the squats felt so friggin easy today was that they were watching my sets

Atlas Stones: 80kg 2x5. Then tried to get it upto the 6" platform, but failed.

Tire flip: Light tire, 3x5 flips.

Drag: 300kg chain maybe 10m or so. Grip was the biggest issue.

Deadlift: Kind of 20' deadlift, like the car deadlift in WSM, or the deadlift hold. Parallel grip. They said it's 240kg, i'm not sure, it felt so light. 6 reps, easy, just to give it a try.

Also tried the friggin axle lift, which is similar to a power clean (and press, but there's no way i couldpress it), but with a thickbar and fixed weights. 75kg, couldn't clean it.

That was it. Stiff and tired now - need food!

Tonight we'll watch Team America- - World Police.

Tonight we'll watch Team America- - World Police.

It's a great movie:

Drop your weapons of mass destruction!!

Agree, it's a great movie

The reason we'll watch it is that Crystal is the only one here who doesn't know it, we have to take this opportunity to watch it with an American

Anyway, here are some pictures from the training today:

Buzz at the deadlift:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1297.jpg

Jono dragging the chain:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1283.jpg

Crystal playing with the 80kg stone:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1287.jpg

She actually got it higher than that, but i was unable to capture that remarkable feat in a photo

And here's me at the wee tyre:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1294.jpg

Jono making the 80kg log look easy:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/XmasEdinburgh/DSCF1279.jpg

Good times

Where do you find that fantastic playground??????????????????

I've never seen anything like that! Of course, I'm not a strength guy so I've never really been into those kind of objects, but where would someone find a facility or equipment like that?

Thanks! Great photos, you guys (and gal) are awesome!

Yea Richard, friggin heavy as shit is just about the right word to describe it

300kg or 660lbs, it's really hard to move that thing at all.

Rob, i bet there's a strongman training ground in your vicinity somewhere, just google for it or ask veganessentials

Here are some pictures of last night, when i curled into the new year. It was a full two minute set from 11:59 to 12:01 Incredibly good pump as well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/DSCF1303.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/DSCF1302.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/DSCF1301.jpg

There's no better start into the new year than curling an empty o-bar in the safety of a squat rack

Back into the program today.

Power cleans: 70kg x2, 80kg x1, x2, 85kg 2x1, 85kg x1, 80kg x5.

Squats: 132.5kg x5. Much easier this time

Bench: 100kg x5.

Pullups: 25kg x5.

Log press: 61kg x5.

Rows, underhand grip: 117.5kg x5. Still grip problems.

Deadlift: 157.5kg x5. Good.

Dumbell curls: 27.5kg x8.

Dips: 45kg x5.

One legged calf raises: 37.5kg x 12.

Donkey calves raises: 8 each side, 12 with both (one continuous set).

Good workout, everything felt heavy, but was okay to do. Especially squats were good

Nice dinner: rice with kidney beans, corn, carrots, bell pepper in spicy-sweet peanut sauce!

Felt wrecked today, knees, hips, lower back, everything was sore, probably from the combination of strongman training, deadlifting and soft matress

I was weak, session was suboptimal

Power cleans: Form and speed work. 5x3: 60kg, 65kg, 70kg, 65kg, 60kg + 2 hang cleans. Nice, i feel like i'm improving.

Squats: 135kg x2, 2, 1. Really bad. After almost failing on the second rep, i decided to cluster the 5 reps

Bench: 102.5kg x4.

Pullups: 30kg x5.

Log press: 63.5kg x5. Best set of the day.

Rows, underhand grip: 120kg x5. Grip was good, but the form was suboptimal (not very strict), but ok.

No Deadlift today due to feeling of overtraining/soreness in hips. Left curls out as well, to spare my elbows.

Dips: 47.5kg x2. F**K No break, 40kg x3.

Thickbar dumbell static holds: 45kg x250sec, 47.5kg x10sec, 45kg x 25sec. Every set a PB

Hanging from the thickbar: 22sec. Really hard, much much harder than hanging from a pullup bar, especially after the dumbell holds.

I guess i'm turning into a strongman slowly, the only good sets were grip work and log press (though usually i do deadlift (and curls ) before the gripwork).

Here are some pictures of last night, when i curled into the new year. It was a full two minute set from 11:59 to 12:01 Incredibly good pump as well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/DSCF1303.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/DSCF1302.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/vegancrystal/DSCF1301.jpg

There's no better start into the new year than curling an empty o-bar in the safety of a squat rack

Looks like me (less the facial hair)!!