organic vs. processed

They keep the processed stuff on the shelf longer, and most of it gets to market, i would imagine lots of the whole foods get stale and what not before they are sold. Also you cannot grow as much organic food as you can conventionally grown food so the cost of organics is more.

Organic, they take more care of the food, this is why it is more expensive. No hormones injected, etc.

but i figured wouldnt all the hormones, steroids, preservatives, additives, canning, labels, marketing, etc. costs a shit load more than just growing and selling natural food?

Organic, they take more care of the food, this is why it is more expensive. No hormones injected, etc.

but i figured wouldnt all the hormones, steroids, preservatives, additives, canning, labels, marketing, etc. costs a shit load more than just growing and selling natural food?

Nope. The reason they use hormones is because its cheaper and they can make more. Also, what CollegeB said.

Yeah it sucks.

Can see why non-organic food is more expensive though. In terms of livestock and poultry production, you have to guarantee the animals a certain level of freedom and care - i.e a farmer can rear x free range hens, or many more battery hens in the same space. If he's got less hens, he is going to want more money for each one to get the same as income as he would get by non-organic farming. By not being allowed to use certain hormones and steroids, in theory vetinary bills may be higher.

In terms of crops if a farmer is not allowed to use chemicals and pesticides, he is more likely to lose more of that crop due to disease and insects than if he sprayed those crops.

Basically non-organic farming results in lower yields, hence the higher prices.

There was a big expose in a British newspaper last week how a lot of organic produce isn't actually organic - it's just labelled as such. The average consumer has no way of knowing this. All a farmer or store keeper has to do is label a product as organic and charge a higher price and how would anyone really know??

Tarz was that specifically for the U.K. or any organic foods? It is reasonable to assume the same for here in the U.S. and many convental food proponents have been saying the same stuff about organics for years, but they have their own agenda so I really never pay them any mind, but I do believe since the govt regulates the organics there are plenty of loopholes, and oversights.

CollegeB -

My first points about livestock and crop production were general observations and apply anywhere in the world really, although I imagine the criteria for what is 'organic' vary from country to country, with more stringent rules and regulation enforced in some places than in others. Some chemicals are actually allowed in the UK for crops, so how organic really is organic food? Those chemicals may or may not be allowed in other countries. So yes, lot's of loopholes and stuff.

My other point about some organic food being a con and a rip-off was specific to the UK - http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1553438,00.html - but of course the same thing could, and probably does, go on in other countries too.