nailz

Richard

Greetings. My toenails were sort of yellowy, but recently, a ridge developed in the new growth, and the growth since that ridge is now a more pink colour. You can see in the picture what I am talking about. The ridge is not the normal bit of white skin, that is still there and visible at the edge of the nail. The ridge is part of the nail, it is hard and immovable.

http://www.godfist.com/mytoe.jpg

I wonder if it is to do with protein. A few weeks ago I started taking protein drinks again. Prior to this, I wasn't having much protein. Any other theories on what the hell is going on? It is the same on all of my toes, but most noticable on the big toes.

ALso, my mum is concerned about her finger-nails, she says they are thin and bendy. She wonders if it means she is ill, or lacking something in her diet?

You might have a nail infection that is messing-up your nail growth. The colour could suggest some form of fungal growth, tea-tree would clear that up. Thin nails often mean mineral deficiency. get a decent multi vit/min & get your mum to take it. Also increase the amount of fresh green veggies she's eating. Also a table spoon of ground seeds (50% flax, 50% any combination of walnuts, hemp, brazil, hazelnut) could help too (you can sprinkle it over food after it's cooked, or in a shake or whatever).