Hello, from the North of England

Monow

Hi everyone,

I thought I’d do an introduction before posting anything else on the site.

OK, I have recently become a vegan. After many years of trying to determine what direction I wanted to take, I feel it’s just natural now for me to become a vegan. I went the traditional body building route, but always questioned the methods of eating and training associated with it.

So after years of doing the meat thing, I made the decision to stop it all. To be honest for me it wasn’t a decision, it was more of a calling, as I found myself being repulsed by it physically and mentally.

The change of view has been brought on by taking my weekly walks in the country and seeing all the animals. When you see lambs, cattle, horses and all the creatures on my walk, it made me wonder how I could eat animals. Along with the fact that you see rams, horses, and bulls getting so huge by just eating plants. The two things really made me think a lot.

I was about 90% set on the idea that I’d try and go without meat and animal products, but felt kind of overwhelmed by the step. As no one I know is vegan, and when I had looked many years before on the Net about veganism, there wasn’t that much information (unlike now with great sites like this one). So I wondered if my thinking was as common as I hoped. Along with the thought that if there was any scientific basis to why you should drop animal products completely from your diet. I know vegetarianism is a popular and well documented lifestyle, but for me that isn’t what I wanted.

By chance I came to read 2 books that basically gave me the last 10% I needed. I later came to realise that these books (along with a few others) have also helped others to make the transition from meat eater to vegan with a more determined outlook. The two books are, The China Study & The Food Revolution. I first read the China study, with its strong scientific emphasis, convinced me that if I only stopped eating animals for myself, it was the right thing to do, as animal products do so much damage to people on a health basis. Then the Food Revolution book gave me the necessary perspective of the poor animals. Two stories from John Robbins book will stick with me for life (anyone who has read his book will know the stories), they being the deeply sad Pig farmer story. The second one is the letter to John Robbins from an angry father who’s daughter defied him and became a vegan, and later becomes a better man by reading John’s book, on her request.

So now I’m at the stage of “recalibrating” my thinking. Trying to forget all those articles about “quality” proteins only obtained from thinks like egg whites, chicken and protein powders. Now I’d like to look into things like the hay diet/food combining and raw food eating as a way to get optimum health. I have read a lot of stuff now on non-animal foods, yet I still have many questions I need answering. There is still lingering misinformation from the main stream body building media that I still need to remove, so hopefully I can find people here who can advise me on fact and fiction with regards to what is possible with plant based nutrition and health.

Thanks for reading

Mark

Great to read your introduction Mark! Welcome to this place! I think you will find that there are many wonderful spirits here who will help you find your way on your decision to become vegan. Check out Dr. Joel Fuhrman. One of his lectures snapped me into a love affair with kale and blueberries! For me it is a good fit.

Welcome my new friend!

Welcome Mark,

Great intro! Thanks for joining our group. I'm glad those books have inspired you and you've been inspired by your own observations and experiences around animals.

As far as the questions you have about nutrition or training, feel free to post them in those sections anytime. We have some experts here, as well as many others of us who have been vegan athletes for a long time and can give suggestions.

We have a great group and I'm sure you'll make some good friends, learn a ton of info from all sorts of people here and have fun as well.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Hey Mark, welcome aboard. I know how frustrating it can get to hear the same stuff over and over again, like you have to take this much of this, this much of that, etc... if you're really interested in growing some muscles, but you quickly get over that. Besides, I'm sure many members of this community will prove you that you can be a successfull bodybuilder while staying true to your beliefs and avoiding the scam.

I was about 90% set on the idea that I’d try and go without meat and animal products, but felt kind of overwhelmed by the step. As no one I know is vegan, and when I had looked many years before on the Net about veganism, there wasn’t that much information (unlike now with great sites like this one).

Hi Mark,

I can definitely identify with this part of your intro. Until recently (like, until about the time I joined here) I knew no vegans and had only a couple of vegetarian acquaintances. I was interested in living without meat and animal products for years before I actually tried it, but with lack of proper information and lack of support, I was overwhelmed too... no kind of about it. You've come to the right place, for sure.

Welcome.

Welcome!

By chance I came to read 2 books that basically gave me the last 10% I needed. I later came to realise that these books (along with a few others) have also helped others to make the transition from meat eater to vegan with a more determined outlook. The two books are, The China Study & The Food Revolution.

I happen to be reading those two books right now!

Welcome aboard Mark!

I remember that story about the pig farmer very well. The two books you mention should be much more popular IMHO.

Give them to your friend and family...

Thank you for your detailled intro and your compassion. It is great to seee that you are able to put your thoughts into action!

Thanks for the nice welcome everyone, so thanks

JW, lelle, SeaSiren, Trev, Richard, Offense74, Odidnetne, Loveliberate

Jonzen - I will check more on Dr Joel Fuhrman and probably get some of his stuff from Amazon. I am always buying such books from there. I’m always looking for a better understanding on how I can improve.

Robert - trying to write a first question posting, which I think will be done in the raw group as that seems to be the best place for the majority of my thinking at this moment. Just got to see how the hay diet can fit into the raw life style (which I think it should be easy enough). Also want to know how to sprout seeds and grains to work with it too. Oh so much thinking and planning required to be spontaneous

Dudeofthedead – I am so frustrated with the main stream body building world, so nice to see you understand what I’m talking about. I mean when you’re sitting down to a meal why do you have to bring a calculator, scale and a clock every time, I mean how natural is that? I am glad I am breaking away from the “supplement guilt” and scam world of muscle !

Finbarrio – It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who has gone animal product free, yet still desires to strive for major goals! This site seems to be full of people who live very active and successful lives.

Michelle - I was sure pleased when Google brought this site to my attention, as I was very mystified how to go about stuff, though I had read books why I should stop animal products, I couldn’t see how you could go into the lifestyle. But checking out the site it has given my a lot more hope.

FormicaLinoleum – Those 2 books are just amazing. Easy to read and so powerful. I’m not the biggest of readers (as of yet), but both had me glued to them. I think that the silent conspiracy being uncovered was shocking to me, how marketing is used to hide the real facts. To think Roland McDonald and the burger king were major parts of my childhood. I sure won’t be as quick to trust any clown again

Flanders77 - That pig story was awful, but also a truly heart warming ending to it. Anyone who couldn’t be moved by that story must have a brick swinging on a piece of rope where their heart should be. I have got my Dad to read the 2 books. He’s kind of shocked by it all too. I plan to get other’s to read them too, though I know not everyone will be happy to read them, as it will cause some level of conflict inside, that they don’t want. Since reading the books, I can’t even bring myself to have a crafty Christmas chocolate or even eat Quorn (which has egg white in it).

I like your avatar Flanders77, it’s real touching and I assume that’s you and your child. Hopefully a new vegan has entered the world there

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate the welcome !!!!

I like your avatar Flanders77, it’s real touching and I assume that’s you and your child. Hopefully a new vegan has entered the world there

Thank you very much for the compliment – and yes, it`s me and my daughter Marla. She is vegetarian because my partner is vegetarian, too. But be sure I will tell her about veganism quite early and hopefully she becomes a vegan then. Since all kids love animals I think the chance is quite good. To me it is actually most important to enable her to make her own decisions and say NO to things she does not want. I am proud that she never put a piece of meat in her mouth.

• 4 weeks later...