Racism in the News

michaelhobson

But seriously, when was it that whites are all over this "racist" issue regarding blacks? I notice this with a lot of white people.

I think that for a lot of people, anti-black racism is maybe the only kind of racism they come across in their lives, and so they appear to only mention it, and it might seem like they are only concerned with that type of racism, and no others. I personally dislike all forms of racism, against any race. I imagine that other people would agree if you talked to them about it. I agree that if someone is only concerned with one type of racism, then that's crazy.

What I was saying earlier about news coverage is that they don't need to tell you the ethnicity of the person when reporting an event / crime / accident. Yet they choose to tell you that the guy is black most of the time. I can't think of a time that it would matter what ethnicity the person is, unless the news story is about race relations or racism etc. But if it's just "Today, a man robbed a bank and has been arrested", why do they need to say "Today a black man robbed a bank and was arrested". They wouldn't say "Today a white man robbed a bank and has been arrested" if the guy was white. It's like they think it's note-worthy that he is black. But it's no more important than how long his index finger is.

But seriously, when was it that whites are all over this "racist" issue regarding blacks? I notice this with a lot of white people.

I think that for a lot of people, anti-black racism is maybe the only kind of racism they come across in their lives, and so they appear to only mention it, and it might seem like they are only concerned with that type of racism, and no others. I personally dislike all forms of racism, against any race. I imagine that other people would agree if you talked to them about it. I agree that if someone is only concerned with one type of racism, then that's crazy.

What I was saying earlier about news coverage is that they don't need to tell you the ethnicity of the person when reporting an event / crime / accident. Yet they choose to tell you that the guy is black most of the time. I can't think of a time that it would matter what ethnicity the person is, unless the news story is about race relations or racism etc. But if it's just "Today, a man robbed a bank and has been arrested", why do they need to say "Today a black man robbed a bank and was arrested". They wouldn't say "Today a white man robbed a bank and has been arrested" if the guy was white. It's like they think it's note-worthy that he is black. But it's no more important than how long his index finger is.

Hrmm, I just find that white people (no offense to those on here, but those that I have seen that actually comment on such things) are more intense when it comes to anything black. It's as if the white person is scared or trained by society that anything against a black person = danger. This is an example of the fear of black people, such as a woman walking to her car and a black man walks towards her, there will be some sort of fear in that he may rob her, rape her, etc. Discussed this in class when I was going to school. We can't deny it though, black people are seen as dangerous human beings, be it in the media or in personal experiences, sadly.

I have to agree that its not important, but some people like description. It's like writing a book, the more description, the better the person can understand the situation. Yes, color doesnt matter, but its a principle in journalism and any type of writing for that matter, to be as descriptive as possible so that the reader can invision it while he/she reads, which gives a better interpretation of the incident.

I do agree with you that they shouldn't only focus on blacks when they do such a thing, but I have read that they mention "white" or "caucasion" when I read the news, and I barely even come across that or black for that matter (perhaps because I rarely read news hehe).

But yes, I support your statement.

Look at the news, its all blacks. Its just a factual statement, either take it as a fact or not. Its like me saying "Two white men stole a tv today" or I say "Two black men stole a tv today", stop being politically correct and just stick with facts. It is blacks that are doing a lot of this and you saying otherwise isnt going to change a thing, thats just how it is.

Now I see hte difference between first aid and something like a TV. I have yet to see a white person steal something like that (not saying they didn't) but its been black people that been starting these fights, hijacking cars, etc. Next thing, they are going to say that a lot of the people in the LA riots werent black or hispanic.

Why is it when we talk about whites its ok to say things but blacks its automatically racist? Its like the white persons view of the word Nigger and how they don't use it, and if a white man uses it they will shudder and say "you are racist", but they will laugh when a black man says it. This is all hypocritical.

My issue is the slant with which things are presented. Even if the majority of the looters in New Orleans are black men, it doesn't mean that the majority of black men are looters - yet when I flip through the channels, I don't see the black people who are trying to help or save their families or members of the community, I just see looters. I think that only presenting a group in a negative way isn't being objective

Ah ok I understand what you are saying. I have seen them show black people helping out too though, and that person with the first aid is one of them (cant believe they said he looted it, doesnt say it when I looked though).

But if it is the majority of blacks that are doing this, I wouldn't have a problem because it was like this in LA. The black community needs to shape up in terms of stuff like this, and stop playing the victim role.

I saw some more TV on Saturday and they were showing black leaders denouncing the looting and saying that the people who were doign that were just a small minority, and most of the community is against that stuff. So my first impression of the way it was covered may have been wrong (I don't watch that much TV), but teh stuff I saw on Saturday seemed to show both sides of the story better

I saw some more TV on Saturday and they were showing black leaders denouncing the looting and saying that the people who were doign that were just a small minority, and most of the community is against that stuff. So my first impression of the way it was covered may have been wrong (I don't watch that much TV), but teh stuff I saw on Saturday seemed to show both sides of the story better

I don't think that ALL do it, but I am not surprised if it was prevalent in these neighborhoods, referred to "The Hood". I think that instead of blaming, they should take things into their own hands to better themselves. Bill Cosby sums it up nicely.

A lot of people I've met from the ghetto neighborhoods are the ones that hate looting, and junk like that the most, because they are sick of thugs ruining their neighborhood. So I don't think the majority of the people in the hood support crimes like that.

But true, yeah I remember reading the Cosby speech last year and I agree with a lot of it

In those particular pictures - the one with the white man it says the store owner had given permission for people to take supplies. In the one with the black man it says he was gathering supplies. It doesn't say he was looting - just that people (in general) had been looting. No - if I were gathering first aid supplies I wouldn't want someone to mention ramant looting in the same breath...