Do NOT send $$ to help the animals in New Orleans

compassionategirl

Please, please, help - the NON human animals are also affected by this tragedy and are at an even greater disadvantage.

Urgent: Tell Your Federal Representatives to Demand Animals’ Safe Evacuation From New Orleans!

Your immediate attention and response is requested. No animal rescue groups have been allowed into New Orleans to help animals, who have been left stranded on their own. Sending money is not solving the animals’ problem, which is worsening by the hour.

Meanwhile, federal authorities are forcing everyone—including elderly residents who have stayed in water-logged residences for five days just to safeguard their beloved animals—to leave their animals behind to starve. In some cases, people are told that they must choose between bringing vital medicine and bringing their dog when they are evacuated. This is illegal and it must stop.

PETA has issued a media advisory stating that we will prosecute any known violators, but that is not stopping federal evacuators from insisting that animals be left to die. Today, Rue McClanahan wrote to President George W. Bush, calling on him to order officials to allow people to evacuate with their animals.

Please, immediately call your member of Congress today to ask that people be allowed to evacuate with their animals. Leave messages for them in Washington and at their home offices and get everyone you know to call. The names of—and contact information for—your representative and senators can be found online. Please forward this alert to others willing to lend their voices to help with this emergency.

Thank you for your compassion for animals and for your willingness to act today.

Please, please, help - the NON human animals are also affected by this tragedy and are at an even greater disadvantage.

Urgent: Tell Your Federal Representatives to Demand Animals’ Safe Evacuation From New Orleans!

Your immediate attention and response is requested. No animal rescue groups have been allowed into New Orleans to help animals, who have been left stranded on their own. Sending money is not solving the animals’ problem, which is worsening by the hour.

Meanwhile, federal authorities are forcing everyone—including elderly residents who have stayed in water-logged residences for five days just to safeguard their beloved animals—to leave their animals behind to starve. In some cases, people are told that they must choose between bringing vital medicine and bringing their dog when they are evacuated. This is illegal and it must stop.

PETA has issued a media advisory stating that we will prosecute any known violators, but that is not stopping federal evacuators from insisting that animals be left to die. Today, Rue McClanahan wrote to President George W. Bush, calling on him to order officials to allow people to evacuate with their animals.

Please, immediately call your member of Congress today to ask that people be allowed to evacuate with their animals. Leave messages for them in Washington and at their home offices and get everyone you know to call. The names of—and contact information for—your representative and senators can be found online. Please forward this alert to others willing to lend their voices to help with this emergency.

Thank you for your compassion for animals and for your willingness to act today.

I do not understand. WHat is bad about sending money? Theres organizations like Noahs Wish that goes after to help these animals.

Becasue money isnt helping in the case of New orleans because the rescue organizations like Noah's Wish are not being allowed into New Orleans. So instead, call your fed congress people at their office numbers, emails etc. and bombard them with polite demands demanding that they allow people to leave WITH their pets. This will help the animals in New Orleans more than sending $$ to organizations that arent even allowed in there.

Glad to hear it!!!

But are you sure? According to PETA, people are not allowed to take their pets with them and are being forced to leave them behind.

That has been and still is true. People are not allowed to take their pets on the rescue boats or buses. They are being forced to leave them behind.

The only thing that has changed is that animal relief organizations are being allowed in to the city. That is a welcome change, but doesn't make up for the fact that they are forcing people to leave their animals behind.

Glad to hear it!!!

But are you sure? According to PETA, people are not allowed to take their pets with them and are being forced to leave them behind.

That has been and still is true. People are not allowed to take their pets on the rescue boats or buses. They are being forced to leave them behind.

The only thing that has changed is that animal relief organizations are being allowed in to the city. That is a welcome change, but doesn't make up for the fact that they are forcing people to leave their animals behind.

I heard that also in regards to the rescue boats and the buses. People are ass holes for that.

It seriously sucks that people were not allowed to bring their nonhuman roommates. Says alot for our society doesn't it ?

Yes it does mate. I also heard of a little boy that was going into the bus with his puppy and the person that works there took the puppy away and the boy was crying. They asked the man what would happen to the puppy and he said "I don't know". What an ass, he and the rest should be stuck there instead of the people.

That's horrible ! I hope that all the animals/non-humans are rescued as well as all the humans. I just don't understand how people can't understand that suffering is suffering, no matter what the species.

Exactly. I hate this, "only we matter". Superior people suck, and they should suffer and feel what they go through. Grr.

Glad to hear it!!!

I totally agree Michael.

And I totally feel your frustration, Crash and Kollision, that "superior" idiots just dont get that suffering is suffering, no matter what the species.

All those poor animals that are abandoned and left behind to starve to death - and I also feel for their "guardians" because I am sure that these people are just as heartbroken for being FORCED to leave their animal friends behind. Imagine having an animal for ten yers, and having to leabe him behind. Even if he survives and hopefully gets picke dup by an animal rescue group that has FINALLY beel allowed in to the city, what are the chances that animals and their humans will be reunited? The heartache and sadness that is involved with every angle of this tragedy truly takes my breath away.

I seriously dont know what I would do if I was forced to leave my cats behind. I dont think I could do it. betray them that way. I couldnt leave them behind anymore than I could leave my children behind.

COuld you imagine having to leave Max behind to suffer and die Crash .

It is abolsutely despicable that animal guardians are being FORCED into abandoning non human members of their families. These animals are voiceless, vulnerable defenseless terrified and do NOT understand why their protectors are leaving without them. They must be very scared and confused and my heart is breaking for them and I feel so DAMN helpless.

COuld you imagine having to leave Max behind to suffer and die Crash .

No I could not, nor would I leave him any more than I would leave my nephew or mother or father. Max and I would swim out together (and be decontaminated together )

It is abolsutely despicable that animal guardians are being FORCED into abandoning non human members of their families. These animals are voiceless, vulnerable defenseless terrified and do NOT understand why their protectors are leaving without them. They must be very scared and confused and my heart is breaking for them and I feel so DAMN helpless.

I feel an overwhelming sense of loss and shame when I think about how "rescue workers" are forcing people and animals who have already lost everything to lose each other. However, this is not going to help those poor animal victims. Unless you or I can go to those ravaged states and take those animals to safety, we can't dwell on things we can't change or go insane.

I wish there was some way I could get to those states and help them.

No I could not, nor would I leave him any more than I would leave my nephew or mother or father. Max and I would swim out together (and be decontaminated together Confused )

I feel the same way, even for an animal I do not know. Humans on the other hand, different cake for me.

I stand corrected about the money donations. Here is the latest from peta

On August 29, Hurricane Katrina slammed into the Gulf Coast. In addition to the human misery that the storm left in its wake, Katrina left many thousands of animals dead and dying. But the greater problem has turned out to be state and federal governments adding to this toll—and causing the slow and agonizing deaths of thousands more much-loved dogs, cats, and other animals—through their failure to allow animal protection agents to rescue animals.

Worse, although the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) guidelines on animal handling in a disaster were carefully crafted years ago in cooperation with PETA and other animal organizations, our government has evidently thrown them out the window, even going so far as to order citizens to abandon their animals under threat of arrest—animals who in many cases were considered members of the family and were all that these people had left.

Volunteer Steve Miller told The Advocate in Baton Rouge that “FEMA has told us we cannot take the pets” along with the distraught human victims that they are evacuating. “They told [us] that we could not take one cat or dog in our boats,” Miller said. “It’s a stupid rule. More people are going to die because of that.”

Telling these exasperated citizens of our country to abandon the animals they care for so deeply is, in fact, illegal. Chapter 14, Section 102.1(A)(1)(d) of Louisiana’s Revised Statutes, for example, states that anyone who abandons an animal is guilty of the crime of cruelty to animals.

Please politely call on Michael Brown, Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response and head of FEMA, to immediately order his subordinates and their brave volunteers to evacuate animals with their human families, effective today, from areas affected by Katrina. Tell Mr. Brown that in these United States, we can and must do better for our citizens and their animals:

The Honorable Michael Brown

Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Emergency Preparedness and Response

500 C St. S.W.

Washington, DC 20472

202-646-3900

202-646-3930 (fax)

[email protected]

On Tuesday, September 6, New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin reportedly issued a mandatory evacuation order and authorized police to remove people from their homes regardless of the residents’ wishes, according to CNN. Although Lt. Gen. Russel Honore—Commander of the First U.S. Army and the man in charge in New Orleans—apparently stated that his military units will not carry out such evacuations, New Orleans police officers and other law enforcement agents may force city residents to abandon their animals when evacuating. Please ask Mayor Nagin to ensure that his beleaguered constituents are allowed to bring their companion animals along should they be evacuated:

The Honorable Ray Nagin

Mayor of New Orleans

Send an e-mail to the Mayor’s Office here

Visit HelpingAnimals.com for further information and updates on Katrina and our response. And please send this e-mail to your friends, family, colleagues, and anyone else you can think of who might lend their voice and support to these vital efforts!

Help Support This Critical Work With a Special Donation Today!

We need your financial support! Please donate today to PETA’s Animal Emergency Fund with as generous a donation as you can afford. It will be put to work to fund our response to Katrina—including our own rescue efforts and the timely distribution of our disaster-preparedness public service announcements—provide financial and logistical support for individuals and local agencies at ground zero who are helping animals, and put pressure on public officials to include animals in their relief efforts so that nothing like this ever happens again.

I also heard of a little boy that was going into the bus with his puppy and the person that works there took the puppy away and the boy was crying. They asked the man what would happen to the puppy and he said "I don't know". What an ass, he and the rest should be stuck there instead of the people.

Some hope for a change from an article in USA Today:

There are bright spots: U.S. Department of Agriculture veterinarian Terry Conger said Tuesday that Snowball, a small white dog taken by police Thursday from a sobbing little boy as he boarded a bus at the Superdome, has been located at the Gonzalez shelter and will be reunited with his owner.

I hope everyone has the chance for a reunion with their human and nonhuman family members. (Wishful thinking I know .....)

CG I called the # listed for the "Honorable" Michael Brown and was given another # to call which was apparently a response center. At this other # I was cut off the first time and the 2nd time was advised by the woman there that she was very busy and FEMA was not responsible for how the police and coast guard were acting. She said to contact the governor or police department or coast guard, but she did not have a phone # for either. So I called the # you gave again and was advised that Michael Brown is in LA. I left a message with one of representatives (not much, but I guess every voice helps. )