Creatine?

Houdini654

I have a question about creatine...it may sound gross and I apologize, but I'm very curious.

I have been using protein when I work out (I'm not a bodybuilder, but am trying to get in some good shape) for a long time and it has helped, but after reading I decided to try some creatine to see if I noticed any differences. I bought Cell-Tech creatine and the only thing I noticed after taking one scoop with water was that it gave me a stomach ache and made me have to go to the bathroom (not peeing) a bit. Is this normal? Is it because I have never used it before? Does it take some getting used to? I just don't want to use it if it is going to make me sick every time I take some.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

jf

Hey Houdini!

I wouldn't call it "normal", but it's a common problem with creatine, yes. I had the same.

Try the following:

- Take the creatine after a meal, not on empty stomach.

- Take only ~ 2x2g per day, that should be enough to get an effect. Do this for about 6-8 weeks and then for 4-6 weeks off.

If it doesn't help, forget creatine.

I don't feel a great effect from creatine anyway, but it helps a little. Since i only use small doses, the ill effects are gone, but someone with a sensitive stomach is always prone to suffer from creatine. I know many athletes who do.

A lot of times the recommended amount is 5 grams per day or more. If you've been veg*n for a while your body isn't used to having anywhere near that much creatine which may be why you were having the side effects. I would try taking more like 1 gram a day (or just a fraction of the scoop they give you). Also, I read some research that showed that you would never need to take more than 3 grams per day to get the maximum effect from it.

Last time I looked at a cell-tech product, their serving size of one scoop is 10 grams of creatine. That's double what any other brand suggests and more than triple the research Will mentions.

I would say cut it in half at least and see how that works for you. I have found that pure creatine monohydrate works best for me. I just mix it in water and don't have any adverse affects. The only time I have been sick from creatine is from the sugar and/or artifiical sweeteners used in those creatine mixes like cell-tech.

I also blamed creatine for stomach problems for a while, only to find I can't digest soy protein powder. It was the soy powder I was taking with the creatine that was causing the problem.

Remember to increase your water intake. Creatine works, in part, by volumising your skeletal muscle cells with water, you can get cramps if you're not getting enough water!

5 grams should be enough for a cycle to see if you're responsive or not. If you've been taking 10 grams you could well have been experiencing the other side effect of too much creatine . I do know guys on 10 grams or more with no probs, but building up is the best way with most supps, so your body doesn't try & reject it.

There is that new CEE style of creatine where you only need a fraction of the amount & it is supposed to be as effective because it's all absorbed into the body (unlike Creatine Monohydrate)

• 4 months later...
Are there vegan sourcs of creatine? I thought most commerical creatine was an extract from beef. no?

No.

Most commercial creatine is vegan, though i'd still recommend to ask the producer of the brand you intend to buy.

Extracting it from beef would be way to expensive, but maybe it's synthezised from animal sources.

Also check for other ingredients - for example gelatine capsules (obviously) etc.