Kale and other Leafy Greens

minimalistica

I bought kale yesterday at Whole Foods and the first thing I thought of was frying in a pan. I don't have a wok, but I have a large and deep frying pan that sometimes doubles as a pot because it's so deep and has sides. I put some vinaigrette dressing at the bottom instead of just olive oil and added cherry tomatoes as well as thickly cut baby carrots. The result was a very flavorful dish and I was very satisfied with myself.

Dark green leafy vegetables like kale, chard and collards are supposed to be good because they contain iron, calcium and other good stuff.

Does anyone have a suggestion about preparing these kinds of greens?

I don't have the link sitting around, but green smoothies are awesome. Many people here on the board swear by them, including myself (a new convert). My favorite is one big bunch of spinach with two bananas and some protein powder. You might want to go lighter on the greens or heavier, depending on your preference. Here is a list that I have saved to my computer.

Delicious Combinations

Mango-parsley

2 large mangos

1 bunch parsley

Water

Peach-spinach

6 peaches

2 handfuls of spinach leaves

Water

Mango-weeds

2 mangos

1 handful of lambs quarters, stinging nettles, purslane, etc

Water

Strawberry-banana-romaine

1-cup strawberries

2 bananas

1/2 bunch romaine

Water

Apple-kale-lemon

4 apples

1/2 lemon juice

4-5 leaves of kale

Water

Kiwi-banana-celery

4 very ripe kiwis

1 ripe banana

3 stalks of celery

Water

Pear-kale-mint

4 ripe pears

4-5 leaves of kale

1/2 bunch of mint

Water

Finger banana-spinach

10 finger-bananas

2 handfuls of spinach leaves

Water

Bosc pear-raspberry-kale

3 bosc pears

1 handful of raspberries

4-5 leaves of kale

Water

I'm not a huge fan of kale. Something about the texture? I don't know. When I cook kale, I like it chopped small. It's great in upma - an indian dish consisting of veggies and semolina (cream of wheat). It's a breakfast favorite at our house!

Just chop a variety of veggies - carrots, red pepper, kale, zucchini, tomatoe and saute in a large frying pan or pot. Add some spices - tumeric, curry, cayenne, salt...add about 1/4 cup water and then some cream of wheat. Cook until all of the water is absorbed and the semolina is soft -adjusting the water and semolina as necessary. So yummy!

hmmm.

I have always been shy of veggie-fruit mixes. I might have to give it a go.

Will these work in regular blenders, or do they require something sturdier like a food processor?

I managed to blend them up with a regular blender, just add your ingredients slowly and give them some time to blend. I upgraded to a k-tec and it was well worth the investment with how often I use it.

I've used a raw 'wrap' recipe with collard greens. Marinate some sliced mushrooms and onions in Nama Shoyu (or any soy sauce, if you don't care if it's raw) for about 10 minutes, then drain. Trim collard leaves, removing the stem that sticks out, and thinning out the part of the stem that is at the bottom of the leaf (makes for easier rolling/folding). Pretty-side-down (the outside of the leaf), wrap the onions, mushrooms, shredded carrots, sliced cucumber and avocado slices in the collard leaf, rolling like a burrito.

Kale is awesome...here is a raw recipe and a cooked one. I'll start with the raw... It is similar to VeganPotter's idea. Take a leaf of kale and fill it with avacado and some pitted dates. It does taste pretty good and your friends will think you are strange for eating kale, especially kale done up that way.

The 2nd recipe goes like this. Chop up an onion and add it to a pot that is heated with a couple tablespoons of vegetable oil. Heat that up for about 4 or 5 minutes and then add the chopped Kale. At this point I add a dash of salt and pepper, along with some chili powder. Let that go with the lid on for a couple of minutes and then add about 1/8 cup of vinegar "I prefer the apple cider kind" and a 1/4-1/2 cup of water. Put the lid back on and turn down the heat. Let this cook for a little while. In about 5 more minutes you'll have some really good tasting kale. Enjoy! I usually do the same with collards, but kale is just as good. Add some baked beans and some corn bread and you're set...

a recipe i found that i tried and liked a lot. i changed a couple things...

RED KALE AND WHITE BEAN SOUP

You can substitute any other leafy green for the kale.

1 bunch red kale (or use any other green available)

1 large onion, chopped

3 stalks celery, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup parsley, chopped

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

1 teaspoon chopped oregano

4 roma tomatoes, diced

1 15-ounce can cannellini or other white beans (or equivalent amount of fresh cooked dry white beans, i used great northern)

4 cups water

pinch red pepper flakes

salt and pepper to taste

Optional serving suggestions:

Balsamic vinegar and soy or rice parmesan (or ground pine nuts)

Prepare the kale by removing the thick parts of the center rib and discarding them. Slice the leaves thinly. Measure out 4 cups of kale for the soup; save the rest for another use.

Mist a large stainless steel pan lightly with olive oil. Sauté the onion and celery until the onion begins to brown. Add the garlic, and sauté for another minute. Add all the remaining ingredients, and allow the soup to simmer, adding extra water as needed, until the kale is tender, about 15-25 minutes, depending on the kale. Taste the soup and add more basil, if necessary.

Serve the soup, stirring a few drops of balsamic vinegar and a sprinkling of vegan parmesan into each bowl, if desired. Makes about 6 servings.

• 1 month later...
I bought kale yesterday at Whole Foods and the first thing I thought of was frying in a pan. I don't have a wok, but I have a large and deep frying pan that sometimes doubles as a pot because it's so deep and has sides. I put some vinaigrette dressing at the bottom instead of just olive oil and added cherry tomatoes as well as thickly cut baby carrots. The result was a very flavorful dish and I was very satisfied with myself.

Dark green leafy vegetables like kale, chard and collards are supposed to be good because they contain iron, calcium and other good stuff.

Here is one I eat all the time! You don't need the vegizest, when I run out I just leave it and it tastes great! I also add kael to my blended salads and normal salads.

Kale with Cashew Cream Sauce

www.DrFuhrman.com

Serves: 4

Preparation Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

2 large bunches of kale

1 cup raw cashews

1 cup soy milk

1 tablespoon Dr. Fuhrman's VegiZest

1 tablespoon onion flakes

Instructions:

Steam kale and when done press into a towel to remove excess water. While kale is steaming make sauce by blending cashews, soy milk, VegiZest and onion flakes until smooth and creamy. Chop kale and mix in sauce.

Also Kale juice is great with some carrot and celery juice or Kale with carrot and apple juice.

Kale is a cruciferous veggie and has very powerful anti-cancer effects. It has been proven in scientific studies to actually reverse dna damage.

Kale is also on the top of Dr. Fuhrman's nutrient density list, he rates it as the most nutrient dense food in the world!

https://www.drfuhrman.com/library/article17.aspx

I just eat it raw. Get some avocado and balsamic vinegar and maybe some bell peppers. Great salad.

God i love avocado.

I usually just eat it in a big mixed salad with spinach and chard, maybe some broccoli and Bok Choy. And of course... avocado.

I'm not the only one who eats kale salads!

Red Kale is the best...but Dino Kale is a close second. Unfortunately you can't get Dino Kale anywhere here and its everywhere in Portland