home gym

madcat

I am thinking of setting up a home gym. I want to keep it simple/cheep. Right now I’m looking at Craig’s list to see what it will cost to get this stuff used. Doses anyone have any advice on this issue… what worked for you… what didn’t? are there any brands I should stay away from? This is my list so far…

Speed bag

Exercise bike (it rains a lot!)

Rowing machine (ditto)

Bench

Assorted weights

Mat

I could wait on the bike for sure if I got some of the other stuff.

If you're concerned about money, I wouldn't buy a bike and a rowing machine. I'd pick a cardio thing that you enjoy and just buy that. I think that with free-weights, it's tough to do varied things for your back (although I could be wrong), so a chin-up bar is great for a home gym to work your back, and also easy to install, no worries about space.

I have a squat rack, which I also use for benchpress. A flat bench, a long barbell and a shorter one. Also two dumbells. Total weight I can use approx. 100kg. To start with weight training its more than enough. For cardio I do running and I have a second hand rowing machine.

I agree with Richard, a bike and a rowing machine aren't cheap. Rope skipping is good cardio

A squat cage or power cage is perfect, not only for squats. Then a bench (maybe adjsutable for inclined exercises), a bar and some weights, a mat is a good idea. Next would be a bar for chin ups. Then two adjustable dumbells and you have all you'll ever need Except enough plates

I am going to try to buy as much used equipment as I can so a bike + rowing machine wouldn’t be too much, but I will hold off on the stationary bike. I have a mountain bike but I live in Oregon and some times it’s hard to find the motivation to go play in the rain. Rowing is a better over all work out any way. This is my current workout…

Power clean

Squats

Bench press

Lunge

Lat pull down

Bicep curls

Crunches ( but instead of going just up a back I make a circle so it works my obliques)

I think I am forgetting some thing….

I also paddle 3 times a week. Paddling is not the same as rowing! Your arms are locked almost the whole time, so instead of pulling to move the boat you twist your body. I am also going to start taking boxing lesions to help with my upper body.

I have a slam-man, they are awesome. I have been hitting mine with a broom stick, hockey stick and nunchucks, so the face got mangled. That wouldn't have happened if I just used it properly. but since I repaired it, it's fine. It is great for boxing.

http://www.godfist.com/vkick1.jpg

Well one advantage of the slam-man is that you don't have to worry so much about where you put it. It is really light, you choose a place to put it, then fill the base with water or with sand, whichever. With a bag, you either have to screw something into the cieling, or you have to have a stand. The slam man is also good just how it works, as it swings from the base, rather than swinging from the top. It makes punch combinations better, as it swings back into your punch, rather than how a punch bag swings. A slam man isn't as good for kicks though. But you said you want it for boxing, which is what its designed for.

My first choice would be a power rack or safety squat stands, a barbell & weights, a bench.

Next a pair of adjustable dumbbells

I'd go for standard, not Olympic bar size as you can pick up the discs for next to nothing second hand.

that's your basic gym, right there. For cardio you could run, jump rope or ride a bike (outdoors to get places ). If you've the room & extra cash, then rowing, or stationary bike second hand might be an option, but in my view a luxury compared to the stuff on the first line

In a doorframe you could add a chin bar (or if you've got a power rack, problem solved as you use that for chinning (& dipping too).

You cage would be good for squats & benches in total safety, you can even get cages with pulldown attachments, but to my mind chins are superior.

There's literally 1001 exercises or more you can do with the stuff in the first sentence alone!

For bag work I've got a big 5ft hanging bag, a mid-sized kickback, that can be hang or held & a couple of precision bags for when mates want to come & hold them. I did box many years ago, but I'm no real expert as I never took it as a serious sport, just a bit of fun, but I expect any boxers (or MA people) can point you towards some good equipment

I have been looking a tko heavy bag/speed bag. They have never been used and are being sold as a set for cheap. Is tko an ok brand? I don’t need top of the line since I’m just trying to get started but at the same time I don’t want to spend my money on anything that will just fall apart in a year.