building a guitar

V VII Hero

my old guitar was all cracked and stuff, and I cant afford to buy a new one. so I am totally making a guitar. my friend sold me a body/neck for 40 bucks that he had made. for $40 its in alright shape with few dings and scrapes, uneven sanding job. not the best, but I can deal with it. Ive never made a guitar before, and I am just gonna learn it off the top of my head.

I am take parts from my old guitar and trying to put em on the one I am making.

I have to:

-drill new holes for all the switches and input

-modify the old pickguard multiple times

-sand down the end of a head so its not some uneven point

-split the wires and rewire em together for the pickups (since I do not have a torch or solder)

-ground the wiring

-put headstock tuners on

-sand the body and neck

-paint the body and neck

-gloss the paintjob

-lots of other modifications to get the parts to fit.

should be fun. hehe. I love learning stuff like this. I hope I can actually finish this and I dont screw anything up

Edited by V VII Hero

Hardcore mayne. Wiring will be the ball-ache I think. Not that I've ever made a guitar. But it seems like you can't really go too far wrong with the other stuff so long as the neck goes into the body at the correct angle so that the strings are the correct distance from the body and neck.

well the guitar has 3 settings, and apparently only 1 of them works. but it works nontheless

I was able to tune it and play it, yay!

I finished the guitar, and for the limited tools, pieces, and workshop I had....it came out somewhat decent. it was fun to make a guitar.

but I dont think I'll be playing it. I totally am not into that kind of bodystyle. Im used to playing a different kind.

I totally want to buy a used guitar, when I get the money. I really like the way les paul's feel.

anyone want to trade a les paul for my bass? hehe.

That’s awesome!!!! My boyfriend and I started a guitar making class about a year and a half ago. We never finished but I have lots of stuff if you want it. I started mine out of myrtle wood… the body is cut out (jumbo) I don’t think I put in a sound hole yet. It is almost down to thickness. By the way do not sand it down, I have a cabinet scrapper which does a much better job, I don’t have the sharpener however (it was stolen). I have the wood for the neck but it is not cut out, the mold to hold the shape of the body, a hand plane and some other tools. My boyfriend (we are back together by the way…. For anyone who read my post about the subject) has a marten guitar kit that I think is down to thickness, has the rosette in, and has some of the bracing on it. He is moving and is looking to get rid of at least of this stuff. I would be will to mail it to you if you pay for postage….