The Master Cleanse!

Andesuma, it would be great for you to join us, why wait until Sunday?

Because I have a lot of produce I need to go thru first ; )

I don't want it to go bad, plus I know hardly anything about the master cleanse.. so I'll need some guidance.

I have been going thru general weird/annoying detox lately, making

me very antisocial, probably due to my over consumption of nuts

to counter detox.

so bad!

Anyhow, I know my body needs a fast. a break.

Is there a limit to how long you can go, or recommended amount of days?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there a limit to how long you can go, or recommended amount of days?

7, 10, and 14 days are common numbers thrown around with the Master cleanse.

I can relate to the whole produce thing, I had a bunch of stuff I finished off before I planned to start whatever it is I'm going to do.

I have been going thru general weird/annoying detox lately, making me very antisocial, probably due to my over consumption of nuts

First off, I'm not picking on you Andesuma. I've heard this kind of thing from others as well, so anyone chime in. What's the theory behind this? Because, for lack of a better way to put it, this sounds "nuts".

The gym went great! It took a little bit more will power to keep up with class during the back and forth across the gym roundhouse kicks and such, and at one point when we were doing hops back and forth I almost blacked out, but other than that it was smooth.

I was hungry afterwards, but it was nothing a quart of the special drink couldn't 90% cure!

2 days in the bag and feeling great. I noticed the bags that are always under my eyes seem to be slightly diminished. Also my stomach is ridiculously flat, must be how empty it is...

So I spent the rest of the evening preparing my house for my mom visiting this weekend (she will be staying with me...kind of an interesting twist to go with this cleanse...) and now my back is fairly sore. I had a little pain after my workout...but a good night's rest should clear it right up.

I am having eating urges, not so much stomach pain or hunger, just like "Oh...I am going to make a...oh wait, no I'm not", plus I am noticing that these urges are associated with what I see in my kitchen, so likely not related to anything my body needs.

I just washed out a container that had a little live mango salsa left in it...oh man, that is about the first strong smell that has been appealing to me so far.

First off, I'm not picking on you Andesuma. I've heard this kind of thing from others as well, so anyone chime in. What's the theory behind this? Because, for lack of a better way to put it, this sounds "nuts".

My body does not like nuts.

Dried, soaked, sprouted, whatever.

it has a very life draining/non-digesting effect on me.

At least, at this current place in my raw life.

So, I should not be consuming them. But I am, for heaviness,

to fall asleep easier.. since fruit wires me up too much right now.

But it's just not good for my body, it doesn't like them.

Isaac & or anyone who's done the Master Cleanse

Would is be ok for me to substitute the Maple Syrup for Agave Nectar

(dark, "raw") ???

It also has minerals, and isn't high glycemic like maple syrup is

(which can cause sugar cravings), so I'd rather stay away from it...

My body does not like nuts.

Dried, soaked, sprouted, whatever.

it has a very life draining/non-digesting effect on me.

At least, at this current place in my raw life.

So, I should not be consuming them. But I am, for heaviness,

to fall asleep easier.. since fruit wires me up too much right now.

But it's just not good for my body, it doesn't like them.

Isaac & or anyone who's done the Master Cleanse

(dark, "raw") ???

It also has minerals, and isn't high glycemic like maple syrup is

(which can cause sugar cravings), so I'd rather stay away from it...

You probably could substitute it then, the maple syrup (as I've read anyway) is mostly for nutrients, and doesn't really assist in the actual cleansing, just to help with you feeling well.

According to the book, you can substitute blackstrap molasses for the maple syrup, if syrup is too glycemic for you. (he recommends it for diabetics, especially) I didn't personally notice any sugar cravings or blood sugar level issues using the maple syrup, even though at the time I had been having MAJOR blood sugar issues.

It doesn't mention agave nectar one way or the other, but that might be worth experimenting with.

58+ hours into the cleanse.

2+ hours since my salt water flush.

No problem chugging the 32 ounces, but holding it down was a little bit of a struggle for a few seconds. I think again a little water backer would have made sense, to wash out that salty taste.

I have expelled the water in about 3-4 sessions in the last two hours, the first and largest of which was about 5 minutes after the chug. I had no idea things could go through your system that fast!

I feel a little light headed, and have a slight tingling sensation throughout my body. I have only drank a little of the lemonade so far this morning, I have not felt hungry and have been running around because of a patch panel problem at work, but that is resolved and now I can focus on getting myself refueled!

65+ hours into the cleanse.

No more throat pain. Do feel a little bit of a film, like on the tongue but not as pronounced. Very mild soreness in back and muscles, nothing that would stop me from doing anything.

My vision seems a little off, almost like when I am overtired (which I am not, I have been sleeping like a rock!).

Other than that I feel great!

You know what.....I actually get excited everytime I see a new blog entry by you. I'm actually following this closely and looking forward to reading each submission.

Now I see the attraction of blogs when something like this is going on.

Keep it up man, let me know if you need anything or if you're cool. Well done so far. I've never done anything like that before.

First of all, cheers to Isaac, keepin on keepin on and I'm hanging in there right beside ya. Not even really "hanging in" there; I feel clean and clearheaded (if somewhat 'light' headed - or light-bellied!)

Courtney, we'll welcome ya into the fold whenever you've addressed any outstanding produce in yer frige. And to answer your question, I have indeed heard of folks using agave - blue agave actually, which I'm not familiar with - instead of maple syrup. Some even say it's a better choice. I prefer the maple syrup because pancakes are one of the biggest things I've missed since turning raw and like any excuse to lick some off a spoon!!

I've done quite a bit of research on the MC over the past 5 months (but I have yet to complete one!). I am looking at the MC book right now, here is what I find.. any artificial, synthetic or refined sugars substituted can adversely affect the normal function of the liver, pancreas, and spleen resulting in hypo/hyperglycemia. But the balanced sugar in genuine maple syrup causes no dangerous side affects. There is no mention of whether agave is an ok substitute but I think it would be fine because it is natural. Mentioned natural (balanced) sugar substitutes that are ok to use include sugar cane juice and pure sorghum but they do not have the benefits of maple syrup on the cleanse. The reason maple syrup is so beneficial is because the grade b has a large variety of minerals and vitamins (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, copper, phosphorus, sulfur, silicon, vitamin a, b1, b2, b6, c, and b5).

I have to quit today, although I feel great! My throat does not hurt, my aching is extremely dull, just more of a tired muscle feeling.

I just found out my Fire Fighter Physical Agility Test is two weeks away, so I have to get off this cleanse, start eating, and get back in a workout routine ASAP!

I did one more salt water flush this morning for good measure, and I am drinking the lemonade still, but I am going to need to work my way back to food as quickly as possible. I will still be going raw unless I am unable to work out, but I feel confident that will be no problem.

This is not a goodbye to cleansing, it is a see you soon. After Saturday, March 10th (my Physical Agility Test) I will be back in action.

I need advice for how to get onto a diet quickly where I can go back to strenuous workouts for the next couple weeks.

Hey Isaac,

Great that you recognized you need to change now to prepare for your physical test, but that it is not goodbye to cleansing. You've made it a pretty long way already!

Congratulations on how far you've come and for recognizing you need to change to get ready for this event.

I have no experience in this cleansing stuff (although I could really benefit from it, I've been feeling pretty full of crap lately, too much processed stuff for too long I think!), but I would suggest slowly eating raw foods today and tomorrow get back into full on raw meals, from your home or from Blossoming Lotus!

Start your training, drink lots of fluids, and get lots of rest and you should be good to go.

All the best!

Congrats on your progress with your firefighter program Isaac! Though I am disappointed to lose my cleansing buddy, you have all my support for the next phase of your process and I know you will complete a cleanse when the time is right.

I second all of Jessi's comments about coming off your cleanse; orange juice, oranges & citrus fruit, fruit, raw salads to start, ease your way in. You should read Stanley Burrough's Master Cleanse booklet before you kickstart the next cleanse. Jessi, I look forward to meeting you when you make it out here! Perhaps we can all cleanse anew then to celebrate your joining the Portland gang...maybe Robert will be ready by then too.

Courtney, I look forward to you joining the cleanse parade whenever you are ready!

Another resource to check out would be "A Way Out" by Matthew Grace who was diagnosed with MS and then discovered raw and was able to heal himself and even become a body builder. He eats 100% raw, fasts one day a week, and has built a strong and vital body!

"A Way Out" sounds great! Fasting one day a week sounds interesting too.

I have had 3 different types or oranges and two types of tangerines so far today, and they are sitting well, but I seem to be getting hungry! Guess that is the digestive juices flowing part. I will give my self another hour or two to digest fully I guess then go onto another fruit. Pears sound really good to me, any thoughts on pears? Or maybe grapes...oh man, time to start working and stop thinking about food!

Perhaps we can all cleanse anew then to celebrate your joining the Portland gang...maybe Robert will be ready by then too.

That would be great! Since I didn't do very well with my attempt at doing the MC on my own I think a support group to do it with is just what I need!

Courtney, I look forward to you joining the cleanse parade whenever you are ready!

Yes! Me too!, I will be joining you tomorrow!

I bought everything today, I purchased both organic

"RAW" amber Agave Nectar, and organic

Grade B Maple Syrup. Both contain minerals.

If I find the maple syrup messing with me, I'll switch.

Or, if I get bored I'll switch as well. I'll also be trying ALL kinds of limes

and lemons while I am going thru this process.

I cannot wait until after I am done with this...

I hope I feel amazing.

Because my digestive system really is not happy right now

My goal is to go 10 days.. , if I feel however that my body needs something, I'll change the cleanse accordingly.

But ideally, I'd like to

go for 10-15 days, this is really the only time this year I am going

to have the down time to do this..

Look forward to cleansing with you sweetie!

8AM - Salt water flush.

10AM - Lemonade - Felt good, even with a tbls of cayenne.

Noon - 3 Oranges - Made me hungry...

1PM - 2 Tangerines - smooth sailing.

2PM - 4 Kiwis - easy going.

4PM - 3 Mangos - very nice.

6PM - 4 Pears - stomach pain!

8PM - Wheatgrass Dbl Shot - felt good.

10:30PM(I know, to late to eat and a bad break in time) - 1/2 bunch of kale with a little hemp oil and raw apple cider vinegar - no problems.

I wonder why the pears were a problem, maybe I am not a pear person.

Anyway, first day off the cleanse but simple and raw feeling good. I gotta learn about food combining. After taking everything away, it seems like it should be easy to only put back what I really want in my body.

I feel somewhat compelled to post onward where Isaac left off...for those of you interested in following a cleanse through...and because reporting in makes me feel accountable in a positive way, and motivated. I am eager to continue following Isaac's journey out of his brief cleanse and into raw training, and I trust he will continue to keep us informed!

Entering day 5 now and feeling FANTASTIC. It gets easier and easier to not eat, though my olfactory senses are totally ramped up and I feast on the aroma of foods, especially at the cafe where I work. I honestly feel freed...like food was really weighing me down, messing with my energy, emotions- and intestines! And I seem to need and want less lemonade each day.

I am going to aim for the 10 days but be open to going a little longer...maybe 14 (like you Courtney!), since I don't ever want to stop feeling this good!! I am hoping to ease into a somewhat macrobiotic (seasonal & regional), raw, unprocessed diet (keep pre-pared and packaged raw foods to a minimum) when this is complete. And to cleanse with each season!

Ooo, and before I forget, another good raw resource I'd recommend is Victoria Boutenko's book, the 12 Steps to Raw. She does a nice job (if I recall correctly), putting a twist on the ole AA 12 Steps by revising them to apply for raw foods. I think I tweaked hers a bit to fit my aims, but I used to have them written on a piece of poster paper hanging on the back of my bedroom door before I moved, to keep me inspired daily. I must dig them up!!

Courtney, sounds like you are raring to go!! You WILL feel fantastic. Keep us posted!