Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness

Healthy Food Defines You
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:14 am 
Mastodon

I think you should slow down on the excercise and save the energy for cleansing.

335 Squat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:11 am 
Gorilla

michaelhobson wrote:
First off, I'm not picking on you Andesuma. I've heard this kind of thing from others as well, so anyone chime in. What's the theory behind this? Because, for lack of a better way to put it, this sounds "nuts". :?

My body does not like nuts.
Dried, soaked, sprouted, whatever.
it has a very life draining/non-digesting effect on me.

At least, at this current place in my raw life.

So, I should not be consuming them. But I am, for heaviness,
to fall asleep easier.. since fruit wires me up too much right now.
But it's just not good for my body, it doesn't like them.
:cry:

Isaac & or anyone who's done the Master Cleanse
Would is be ok for me to substitute the Maple Syrup for Agave Nectar
(dark, "raw") ???
It also has minerals, and isn't high glycemic like maple syrup is
(which can cause sugar cravings), so I'd rather stay away from it...

http://www.organicconsumers.org
http://www.rawfoodexplained.com

:::::
http://www.myspace.com/andesuma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:48 am 
Stegosaurus

andesuma wrote:
michaelhobson wrote:
First off, I'm not picking on you Andesuma. I've heard this kind of thing from others as well, so anyone chime in. What's the theory behind this? Because, for lack of a better way to put it, this sounds "nuts". :?

My body does not like nuts.
Dried, soaked, sprouted, whatever.
it has a very life draining/non-digesting effect on me.

At least, at this current place in my raw life.

So, I should not be consuming them. But I am, for heaviness,
to fall asleep easier.. since fruit wires me up too much right now.
But it's just not good for my body, it doesn't like them.
:cry:

Isaac & or anyone who's done the Master Cleanse
(dark, "raw") ???
It also has minerals, and isn't high glycemic like maple syrup is
(which can cause sugar cravings), so I'd rather stay away from it...

You probably could substitute it then, the maple syrup (as I've read anyway) is mostly for nutrients, and doesn't really assist in the actual cleansing, just to help with you feeling well.

"Look at what a green thumb this guy has, he just throws plants in water and they root!"
- A good friend talking about my basil cuttings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:18 pm 
Elephant

According to the book, you can substitute blackstrap molasses for the maple syrup, if syrup is too glycemic for you. (he recommends it for diabetics, especially) I didn't personally notice any sugar cravings or blood sugar level issues using the maple syrup, even though at the time I had been having MAJOR blood sugar issues.

It doesn't mention agave nectar one way or the other, but that might be worth experimenting with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:52 pm 
Manatee

58+ hours into the cleanse.
2+ hours since my salt water flush.

No problem chugging the 32 ounces, but holding it down was a little bit of a struggle for a few seconds. :oops: I think again a little water backer would have made sense, to wash out that salty taste.

I have expelled the water in about 3-4 sessions in the last two hours, the first and largest of which was about 5 minutes after the chug. I had no idea things could go through your system that fast!

I feel a little light headed, and have a slight tingling sensation throughout my body. I have only drank a little of the lemonade so far this morning, I have not felt hungry and have been running around because of a patch panel problem at work, but that is resolved and now I can focus on getting myself refueled!

ADD ME AS A MYSPACE FRIEND!
http://www.myspace.com/madeinoregon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:28 pm 
Manatee

65+ hours into the cleanse.

No more throat pain. Do feel a little bit of a film, like on the tongue but not as pronounced. Very mild soreness in back and muscles, nothing that would stop me from doing anything.

My vision seems a little off, almost like when I am overtired (which I am not, I have been sleeping like a rock!).

Other than that I feel great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

You know what.....I actually get excited everytime I see a new blog entry by you. I'm actually following this closely and looking forward to reading each submission.

Now I see the attraction of blogs when something like this is going on.

Keep it up man, let me know if you need anything or if you're cool. Well done so far. I've never done anything like that before.

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject: Agave
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:57 pm 
Rabbit

First of all, cheers to Isaac, keepin on keepin on and I'm hanging in there right beside ya. Not even really "hanging in" there; I feel clean and clearheaded (if somewhat 'light' headed - or light-bellied!)

Courtney, we'll welcome ya into the fold whenever you've addressed any outstanding produce in yer frige. And to answer your question, I have indeed heard of folks using agave - blue agave actually, which I'm not familiar with - instead of maple syrup. Some even say it's a better choice. I prefer the maple syrup because pancakes are one of the biggest things I've missed since turning raw and like any excuse to lick some off a spoon!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:44 am 
Gorilla

andesuma wrote:

I've done quite a bit of research on the MC over the past 5 months (but I have yet to complete one!). I am looking at the MC book right now, here is what I find.. any artificial, synthetic or refined sugars substituted can adversely affect the normal function of the liver, pancreas, and spleen resulting in hypo/hyperglycemia. But the balanced sugar in genuine maple syrup causes no dangerous side affects. There is no mention of whether agave is an ok substitute but I think it would be fine because it is natural. Mentioned natural (balanced) sugar substitutes that are ok to use include sugar cane juice and pure sorghum but they do not have the benefits of maple syrup on the cleanse. The reason maple syrup is so beneficial is because the grade b has a large variety of minerals and vitamins (sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, manganese, iron, copper, phosphorus, sulfur, silicon, vitamin a, b1, b2, b6, c, and b5).

http://www.jessiloveslife.com

Post subject: Disaster!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:02 pm 
Manatee

I have to quit today, although I feel great! My throat does not hurt, my aching is extremely dull, just more of a tired muscle feeling.

I just found out my Fire Fighter Physical Agility Test is two weeks away, so I have to get off this cleanse, start eating, and get back in a workout routine ASAP!

I did one more salt water flush this morning for good measure, and I am drinking the lemonade still, but I am going to need to work my way back to food as quickly as possible. I will still be going raw unless I am unable to work out, but I feel confident that will be no problem.

This is not a goodbye to cleansing, it is a see you soon. After Saturday, March 10th (my Physical Agility Test) I will be back in action.

I need advice for how to get onto a diet quickly where I can go back to strenuous workouts for the next couple weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Isaac,

Great that you recognized you need to change now to prepare for your physical test, but that it is not goodbye to cleansing. You've made it a pretty long way already!

Congratulations on how far you've come and for recognizing you need to change to get ready for this event.

I have no experience in this cleansing stuff (although I could really benefit from it, I've been feeling pretty full of crap lately, too much processed stuff for too long I think!), but I would suggest slowly eating raw foods today and tomorrow get back into full on raw meals, from your home or from Blossoming Lotus!

Start your training, drink lots of fluids, and get lots of rest and you should be good to go.

All the best!

Check out my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness Book on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Bodybuildin ... 497&sr=1-1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:25 pm 
Gorilla

Start with orange juice (the more acidic citrus prepares the digestive system for food again), then add raw fruit, then raw salad... this over the course of a day or two and you should be ready to eat food again.

http://www.jessiloveslife.com

Post subject: All in good time...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:11 pm 
Rabbit

Congrats on your progress with your firefighter program Isaac! Though I am disappointed to lose my cleansing buddy, you have all my support for the next phase of your process and I know you will complete a cleanse when the time is right.

I second all of Jessi's comments about coming off your cleanse; orange juice, oranges & citrus fruit, fruit, raw salads to start, ease your way in. You should read Stanley Burrough's Master Cleanse booklet before you kickstart the next cleanse. Jessi, I look forward to meeting you when you make it out here! Perhaps we can all cleanse anew then to celebrate your joining the Portland gang...maybe Robert will be ready by then too.

Courtney, I look forward to you joining the cleanse parade whenever you are ready!

Post subject: PS
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:28 pm 
Rabbit

Another resource to check out would be "A Way Out" by Matthew Grace who was diagnosed with MS and then discovered raw and was able to heal himself and even become a body builder. He eats 100% raw, fasts one day a week, and has built a strong and vital body!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:30 pm 
Manatee

"A Way Out" sounds great! Fasting one day a week sounds interesting too.

I have had 3 different types or oranges and two types of tangerines so far today, and they are sitting well, but I seem to be getting hungry! Guess that is the digestive juices flowing part. I will give my self another hour or two to digest fully I guess then go onto another fruit. Pears sound really good to me, any thoughts on pears? Or maybe grapes...oh man, time to start working and stop thinking about food!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next