problems with getting up in the morning

lelle

school starts tomorrow and i have one big problem: as soon as i fall asleep you can literally carry me away.

that would not be a problem if didn't have to get up at about 6:30 am everyday. i don't even recognize an alarm clock, no matter how loud it is.

i could leave on my computer and tell him to play a VERY aggressive death-metal song at 6:30 AM at an incredible volume but my neighbors wouldn't like that at all.

would be great if anybody could tell me some tricks to dispel that problem.

thanks!

I put my alarm clock on a radio setting and have it set to a station that does not get reception so the only sound i hear is the static noise. It is often very disturbing in the morning. Also place your alarm clock where you must get out of bed to reach it. To resist going back to sleep, make breakfast, check email, do pushups. Last but not least go to bed early try to get 8 hours of sleep. That is all i can suggest.

If I don't get the full eight hours of sleep, I have a hard time waking up. A friend, who was staying with me a few years ago, threatened to use the "bucket of cold water" technique to wake me up if I didn't find an alarm clock that would wake me up instead of waking everyone in the house BUT me. Apparently, that beeping gets really annoying after the first 25 minutes.

They make alarm clocks for the hearing impaired that might work. Here's one at sharper image

Right now, I'm using my cell phone as an alarm clock. I have a marble coaster on my nightstand, I put some spare change in that, then put the phone (it vibrates!) on top of that. The phone by itself isn't loud enough, but with the coins against the marble, it really makes quite a racket and usually wakes me up.

Ive been told that the microwave issue with cell phones is no longer a problem. It was one with those ones that are huge like the old military style hand held radios, or for those calssic t.v. viewers, the kind they had in saved by the bell come to mind. I still am concerned a little about having a device that attracts waves of some kind to my head.

I'm going to be having the same problem soon Why, oh why, didn't I register sooner so I wouldn't have all 8am classes? I think I'll use Robert as my back up alarm If I'm not up by the time he leaves for work I'll have him drag me out of bed!

I have also moved my alarm across the room to force me out of bed when it goes off...it seems to work pretty well.

Also, mine is the kind that starts of beeping pretty quietly and then crescendos to an absolutely intolerable volume...I can't imagine ANYONE sleeping through it when it reaches its peak, even a super heavy sleeper.

I have read in numerous places that those loud annoying alarm clocks are NOT good for your body. YOur body reacts to it by going into a "shock" like state, and the ph of your body is rendered acidic (not good).

Indeed, my own personal experiences support this. Whenh I am in a sleeping state and then that liud beeping annoyong sound or loud music "wake me up", I am cranky and irritated all morning.

I have read that the best (i.e. healthiest) alarms are those that start off quietly with nature sounds, and gently and slowly grow louder but with sounds that are not irritating or annoying or shocking to the body.

I know lelle that this will not help out your problem - just thought i would post for those of you using those loud annoying alarm clocks that "shock" your body awake in the a.m.

I have a hard time getting up too - that is because it takes me forever to fall asleep and my sleep quality is crap. I wake up every few hoours and never feel like I actually slept well. I am often late for classes because of my inability to "jump" out of bed!!!

That's interesting - I don't have that experience with my alarm clock, maybe because it does start out quietly and I usually wake up with the first couple beeps - however if someone walks in on me and wakes me up, or in anyway startles me, I'm guaranteed a killer headache for the rest of the day. Without fail!