Clean and Jerk

robert

I remember in high school the clean and jerk was pretty popular. I've rarely seen it done at the gym and from what I understand in some gyms it is not allowed.

Do most powerlifters still use this style of training? Isn't this one of the events in powerlifting?

My knowledge of powerlifting is very limited, I've just seen guys at my gym train in singlets with 2x4s on their chest and watched some in the Olympics.

Just curious about this exercise. Any input?

-Robert - Thin Thin Flat Him - Big Big Fat Him - Tired Tired Sleeping Now

some powerlifters train with the clean and jerk, though it is technically olympic lifting. the olympic lifts are clean and jerk and the snatch, and the powerlifting lifts are squat, bench and deadlift.

im crap at clean and jerk (pb is 181.5lb) and ive never tried the snatch. im pretty wary of doing the snatch outside a lifting club cos its so technique based. i really need to sort out the clean and jerk though - its embarressing!

jonathan

Yea, I'm a bit worried about stuff like snatching without some input from someone who knows what they're talking about, but the Olympic lifts are so unpopular they don't seem to have a trainer in the whole of the Brighton area! Last time I asked they said (British Weightlifting Association) that the nearest was in London, I wrote a week ago, but no reply. Was considering getting some money together & commuting for a few months to get the basics sorted, then maybe once a month, but then you need a gym that allows O-lifting (that's hard to find too!).

BTW I did write that correctly the old BAWLA (British AMATEUR Weightlifting Association), seems to have gone & been replaced with BWLA (British Weightlifting Association), new website, the old one just seems to have been dropped, bit of bad management methinks! Infact I think veganism actually enjoys heaps more publicity than O-lifting over here (maybe they need to hire us )

• 1 month later...