Want to try and organize our very own rescue team for New Or

compassionategirl

http://img.getactivehub.com/an2/custom_images/humane/hurricane_header2.gif

Please read this link and send Bush an email asking him to order officials to rescue not just humans, but their pets as well, and to develop a national animal rescue plan.

I recently learned that Bush is a dog lover - apparently he has his own dog whom he allegedly loves. Yet he has not used his power to help the animals that are, as I write this, starving to death on the rooftops of new orleans homes??!!!

I cannot imagine what a horrible death it is to die by starvation and dehydration for any living thing. PLEASE help by clicking on the abive link, reading the article and then sending Bush an email. The instructions are easy and all there.

thanks

Edited by compassionategirl

Hey, now that I think about it, does anybody here want to form our own veganbodybuilding rescue team and hed to new orleans to take direct life saving action?

I havent considered the logistics of this, or the red tape that might be a hindrance to any such action plan. And plus, we would need a boat and equipment. Anybody have any?

Yeah, keep on brainstorming and see what we can come up with.

I already sent a donation of things like toothbrushes, toothpastes, deoderants, shampoos, etc.

I wonder if we could collect certain vegan items (products not tested on animals or not containing animal products) and send them on behalf of the Vegan Fitness Team, so we'd be contributing as a collective unit.

Or we could sponsor a specific family or something like that, so we would know exactly where are donation is going.

I'm open and interested in ideas.

-Robert

Rob,

I had more in mind an actual boatful of us literally going from house to house in the flooded areas trying to rescue animals (human and non). Dont know if this would be logistically possible, but if we could somehow pull it off, I will drop everything else in my life to go and rescue beings still stranded adn starving to death.

If animals are still trapped and starving, then that must mean that they simply dont have enough manpower to rescue them all. So that is where we would come in. perhaps this is too idealistic and impossible, but I am not sure.

I am just so damn tired of rolling my thumbs and feeling helpless and leaving direct life saving action up to others

I havent considered the logistics of this, or the red tape that might be a hindrance to any such action plan. And plus, we would need a boat and equipment. Anybody have any?

I just came back from there. The red tape is nothing to worry about, and there's still a lot to do. Unfortunately the people we were initially working with were all idiots. If you want to go down, we did meet two folks that were really doing a lot to help; I can get you their cellphone number. Unfortunately, we didn't meet them until late Saturday night.

Well man what did you think of the area, all the polluted water etc. I hear that New Orleans and probably most of louisian can be declared a superfund site. Also did you see any Blackwater Ops people. I've read they are down there to provide "security" and enguage looters.

Yup - I am definitely tired of sitting on the sidelines feeling utterly useless.

Please give me that contact info and I am there.

thanks Dan.

How was it down there? Did you have a chance to actually rescue any animals (human adn non)? Did you have aboat to get around? Tell me all about your experience, and what obstacles rescuers are currently still facing.

I'll get the number(s) for you tomorrow. One of my cohorts has it. I may be able to put you in contact with this awesome lady who put us up for the weekend as well.

We only managed to catch three stray dogs, and get them taken care of. As such it wasn't a complete waste of time, I just feel that our time was used very poorly due to a couple of different factors. The city is still in complete shambles, but the water is almost gone, except in the worst parts.

If you're going down, I will make it a point to come back out and meet up with you.

Would love that. So anybody else want to meet up with me and Dan on our animal recuing mission?

I would love to go as representing veganbodybuilding, although I havent gone to the gym in two weeks and have been eating lots of that "rich fudge frosting recipe" that Robert posted a while ago, so maybe representing vegan bodybuilding aint such a hot idea.

But lets definitely try to get a group together and get down there and rescue every possible animal we can. I simply cannot sleep at night knowing that on top of the billions of animals being butchered for food, and in labs, etc. we now have animals that havent had a bite to eat or a drop of water to drink in three weeks n new orleans, adn will die a low painful death unless somebody, anybody, saves them!

Dan let is move quickly on this. So many animals are near death, if not already dead. I would idealy like to be there in the next two days MAXIMUM, if not sooner. Just give me the word of where to meet you exactly and how we are going to get around the city and I will take the next flight out.

Just give me the word of where to meet you exactly and how we are going to get around the city and I will take the next flight out.

That's actually a very good question. I don't have a working car, only a motorcycle, and I'm broke as hell right now. I can get there by motorcycle, but we wouldn't be able to transport very much without a larger car. I'm gonna have to try to figure this stuff out, and I'll get back with you later today.

AND there's a slight chance that Tropical Storm Rita will turn up towards Louisiana...

Well man what did you think of the area, all the polluted water etc. I hear that New Orleans and probably most of louisian can be declared a superfund site. Also did you see any Blackwater Ops people. I've read they are down there to provide "security" and enguage looters.

It was pretty nasty. There were repeated advisements for anyone who would be going into flooded areas to get vaccinations for Hep A, Hep B, and tetanus. (D'you catch that, Nat? You can get them down there, but they take up to a week to be effective.)

We did have to canoe down some streets, and even then a lot of them are impassable with all the downed trees.

I wouldn't know a Black Ops person if one bit me. I seriously doubt that rumor, anyway.

hwta is a black ops person?

I will go and get vaccinated today. maybe we can rent a van when down there Dan? I am broke too but I will figure something out for cash.

If thre is another tropical storm coming, we MUST get down there asap. It is killing me knowing that as I am writing this animals are STARVING to death

Dan, I will pm you with my number - please call me. The local time here now is 1:00 pm Eastern standard time.

Gotta take my dad to the hospital but will be back ion a few hours.

hey i just called my doc and he said it takes months to buiold immunity to hepatitis B

we dont have months we gotta go NOW!

Now what Dan?

can anybody shed some light on this?

Okay gotta go now will check back later today.

watch it nat - my grandmother caught hep b from contaminated water when she was 42. it progressed to liver disease, which kept her in and out of hospital for the remaining 20years of her life. then due to no liver function, she had chronic osteoporosis in her spine and kidney failure, which killed her aged 64.

the likely hood is that you wont be able to save more than a few animals, and you catching something lethal would (if we use the most functional terms here) prematurely remove you from the AR scene, thus resulting in many more animals dying. i for one have to say, please dont go.

jonathan

Jonathan gives good advice, and you should take it seriously.

However if we/you go into any water, we will have to take waders like fisherman wear (we weren't smart enough to bring any this past trip and so stayed out of any water that was deeper than our boots), and those should protect us as long as we don't trip on something. The water was going down pretty fast as well, the flooded areas should be much better by the time we would get there.

Again, you have to make your own decision, and I certainly won't blame you for erring on the side of caution. If I had any sense, I wouldn't go anywhere near the floodwater, although I was fairly cautious in what I did do.

There's also a very good chance that, after three weeks, any animals that were trapped in flooded houses are gone already. There are sure to still be many strays outside that could use help.

There's also a very good chance that, after three weeks, any animals that were trapped in flooded houses are gone already. .

so now what are we supposed to do? The new storm is going o kill more animals who desperately need us? What about the animals trapped that are still alive but barely? i feel so sick inside and a huge sense of grief that is paralyzing me.

hey i just called my doc and he said it takes months to buiold immunity to hepatitis B

we dont have months we gotta go NOW!

Now what Dan?

can anybody shed some light on this?

Okay gotta go now will check back later today.

watch it nat - my grandmother caught hep b from contaminated water when she was 42. it progressed to liver disease, which kept her in and out of hospital for the remaining 20years of her life. then due to no liver function, she had chronic osteoporosis in her spine and kidney failure, which killed her aged 64.

the likely hood is that you wont be able to save more than a few animals, and you catching something lethal would (if we use the most functional terms here) prematurely remove you from the AR scene, thus resulting in many more animals dying. i for one have to say, please dont go.

jonathan

Jonathan i am so moved that you care so much and I know you are thinking rationally here and my response is purely an emotional one and you know this about me so you are just trying to be the voice of reason and you are just watching out for me. i know maybe it is irrational but i cannot just sit here while animals are starving to death. There is nothing that I can do for the animals in slaugherhouses but i feel compelled to at least try and save the ones in new orleans. Not even just cats and dogs but what happened to all those "livestock"? Are they also dying and emaciated, waiting to be saved, still chained and stuck in crates and abandoned by the farmers? Maybe we could free them and then sneak them to a sanctuary instead of return them to the farmer?

Dan, i know you are just watching out for me too but please still call me so we can figure something out but I cannot sit idly by. It is KILLING me

there must be a way that I can have q quicker hep b shot that kicks in in a day or two, isnt there??????

How is it that the other rescuer workers are able to go into the waters without hep B fears? DO they know something we dont?

There MUST be a way...there just HAS to be a way.

damn it why didnt i contact you sooner Dan.

I think the best way to help companion animals is to work on putting breeders and pet stores out of business. Millions of animals sit in cages in county shelters waiting for the needle due to pet overpopulation

Will, I am not talking about "ways to help companion animals." There is the way you described, plus working on chained doged issues, etc etc., whihc I think we all (or most of us) do practically on a daily basis with activism.

i am talking about how to rescue the animals starving to death in NO and about to be hit by another storm!