American horse slaughter

compassionategirl

An email I received from HSUS (yes, i know, only an animal welfare organization - not a rights organization).

We did it! The U.S. Senate passed an amendment today by a stunning 68-29 vote that prohibits the use of any federal taxpayer funds to slaughter horses for food exports.

The amendment, introduced by Senators John Ensign (R-NV) and Robert C. Byrd (D-WV), mirrors an amendment that passed the U.S. House of Representatives in June, which was led by Reps. John Sweeney (R-NY), John Spratt (D-SC), Nick Rahall (D-WV), and Ed Whitfield (R-KY). Together, these measures will effectively stop America's horses from being killed in three slaughterhouses in the U.S. that slaughter horses -- two in Texas and one in Illinois. The amendment also stops horses from being shipped to slaughterhouses in Canada or Mexico so that their meat can be exported to foreign countries.

This tremendous victory would not have been possible without your support and action. We received outstanding support for our major lobbying campaign to end horse slaughter and were able to mobilize our grassroots network. Every single Senate office heard from us, and because of your calls and emails they took notice. Click here to find our how your U.S. Senators voted.

"The time has come to put an end to the practice of slaughtering horses in America," said Sen. Ensign. "Horses have an important role in the history of our country, particularly the West, and they deserve our protection. As a senator and a veterinarian I am committed to doing what I can for these magnificent animals. Many of the horses sent to slaughter are perfectly healthy, and turning them over to slaughterhouses is inhumane and unnecessary."

"The market for horsemeat is not an American market," said Sen. Byrd. "Many Americans would be shocked to learn that our animals suffer such a fate, all in order to satisfy the tastes of those living in Europe and Asia."

In another welcome move, the Senate also approved two additional animal welfare amendments introduced by Sen. Daniel Akaka (D-HI). One amendment would ensure that "downed livestock" -- animals too sick or injured to walk -- are not allowed into the human food supply. The second amendment would prohibit tax dollars from being used for research facilities that purchase animals from "Class B dealers" who traffic in family pets for research.

We are so grateful that you stood with us and helped achieve this incredible victory for animals, even as so many of our resources -- and so much of our attention -- has been turned towards helping the animal victims of Hurricane Katrina. Thank you for all you do on behalf of animals.

Sincerely,

Wayne Pacelle

President & CEO

The Humane Society of the United States

whilst it is good that they arent slaughtering horses, i fail to see the difference between a horse and a cow, so a horse being slaughtered outrages me no more than a cow being slaughtered.

its like when people take a stance agaisnt cats and dogs being killed in the far east - they condemn asians for it, yet dont look at the horriffic conditions endured by millions of farm animals in their own country (who have equal or higher intelligence).

hmmm, i am currently not entirely certain where i stand on this issue, but my gut tells me that we should stop concentrating on small cases like horse slaughter and focus on the bigger picture.

jonathan

It is a victory for horses and long overdue; however the battle for cows, pigs, chickens, etc. will not be as "easy." As long as robber barons, who deal in flesh, milk and eggs, have lobbyists keeping farm animals from being protected against animal abuse, there will not be any chance of a ban on their slaughter.

In the current law farm animals are not recognized under the animal abuse and protection laws. Horses are recognized under animal abuse and protection laws. All animals have to be recognized for there to be a change for all animals.

In the meantime, you have to be happy for the ones you can save while still continuing to fight for the others.

whilst it is good that they arent slaughtering horses, i fail to see the difference between a horse and a cow, so a horse being slaughtered outrages me no more than a cow being slaughtered.

TOTALLY 1000% AGREE- AND I KNOW THAT YOU KNOW THAT I FEEL THE SAME WAY JONATHAN, BUT IN CASE ANYBODY ELSE IS UNCERTAIN I THOUGHT I SHOULD BE PERFECTLY CLEAR. WHAT PISSES ME OFF ABOUT THE HUMANE SOCIETY IS THEY ARE ANIMAL RACISTS. THEY DO NOT HAVE AN OFFICIAL PRO-VEGAN POSITION. HECK, MANY OF THE PEOPLE WORKING on the campaign to stop horse slaughter probably go home and eat slaughtered cows. While I think that sucks, I still am thankful that they have taken on the mission of saving horses. Just wish they could feel that compassion for all animals. HHHEEELLOOOOOOOO The slaughter of any animal - horse, cow, pig, chicken, goldren retriver, fish,n freakin turtle, mouse, monkey - ANY animal suffering/murder infuriates me.

its like when people take a stance agaisnt cats and dogs being killed in the far east - they condemn asians for it, yet dont look at the horriffic conditions endured by millions of farm animals in their own country (who have equal or higher intelligence).

1000% totally agree. As if eating a chicken is any more acceptable than eating a dog being sold in an Asian (for example) market. HHHEEEELLLLOOOOO???? Get conscious and make the connection people!!!!

hmmm, i am currently not entirely certain where i stand on this issue, but my gut tells me that we should stop concentrating on small cases like horse slaughter and focus on the bigger picture.

Well, we are a bit divided on this but we both know where the other stands so no need to get into here again. We both agree on the goals and core values and agendas, just not on strategy.

jonathan

Edited by compassionategirl

While I agree Jonathan with your sentiments, I still think this is an important victory. For the U.S. congress to recognize the value of an animal for it's own sake and not some economic value is unheard of. If it can be done for horses, there may be some hope for other animals, this is a huge leap forward.

aaahh, if only that glorious day can come within our lifetimes. I fear that this will not be the case.

And to any non-vegans reading this thread, animals dont just die, but suffer first, because of selfish thoughtless people and corporate greed. Please go vegan - now.

Oh ya, and the Senator says that "horses deserve our protection."

But why dont cows, chickens, etc., i wonder, deserve human protection just as much? They are certainly no less innocent, no less voiceless.

If you are opposed to cruelty and murder of horses, then there is no logical reason why you should be indifferent to the murder of cows. And the fact that you like the taste of the latter is NOT a logical reason. But is an utterly selfish and gluttonous one. Please demand more of yourself. The animals are counting on it.

okay my rant is over. maybe i planted a seed.

this is at least good for the horses. some of my friends never actually believed me when i told them that horses are killed in slaughterhouses. they are in complete denial.

to echo everyone sentiments, i always found it strange how our culture here in the usa damn near worships some animals, like horses, dogs, and cats, and doesn't care about pigs, birds, and cows. if someone kicks a dog while the animal is on a walk, everyone is outraged (as they should be). the reaction is overwhelmingly against that action. they say things like, "how could you be so cruel as to kick a defenseless dog for no reason? the dog never did anything to you, you're an asshole" etc. but for some reason thousands of cows hanging from a meathook (while they are still alive!), while their throats are slit and bleeding to death, that is not considered cruel.

some of my friends have even made derogatory comments about some cultures that eat dogs and cats. i always like to point out to them, why the hell is that so different than what you are doing? why is that more ing than what you do? whether you eat cow, pig, bird, goat, dog, cat, rat, it doesn't matter. it's still a dead fucking animal!