How am I meant to get rid of spots?

Richard

Sorry to hear that Nobbi, the sun always used to dry-out my spots when I had them.

I find sweat in the sun helps - the salt helps 'cleanse' the skin. It used to work good for me when I used to go running in blazing heat

I think pollution doesn't help - all those chemicals can't be good for the skin.

I agree Nobbi - what you eat is very important. After all the skin re-grows and replenishes itself from the nutrients we ( do or don't ) eat.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tarz,

thanks for throwing "salt" into the group. I don't know if sweat can do something against spots, but saltwater (or better The Dead Sea) is known as a perfect medicine. Lots of people with serious skin problems travel to The Dead Sea and come back with wonderfull results.

As I type this, I am in a sleeping-bag full of salt and vinegar, and I am eating salt and vinegar crisps, and I have also put sand in the sleeping bag to exfoliationalize me. I am very uncomfortable but it will ultimately possibly be worth it. The vinegar eye-drops were not very nice either.

• 2 weeks later...

Some days I forget to take the vinegar. I have noticed a decrease in spots I believe, though I am still getting them to an extent. I recently had an ulcer in my mouth. I had been told to wash my mouth out with salt water previously, but this time i also added apple vinegar. It numbed it quite well.

I have been trying a facial soap made with tea tree oil and it seems to be helping some. I have been a vegan for almost 3 years and in that time my skin has gotten worse… I wonder if it could be a food allergy or something. Maybe the soap + the vinegar would be enough to fix it. I want to stay away from any prescription meds because of the animal testing involved.

I have been trying a facial soap made with tea tree oil and it seems to be helping some. I have been a vegan for almost 3 years and in that time my skin has gotten worse… I wonder if it could be a food allergy or something. Maybe the soap + the vinegar would be enough to fix it. I want to stay away from any prescription meds because of the animal testing involved.

A vegan lifestyle means a healthier lifestyle. It could be that your skin is detoxing. I know people with the same experience when they went on raw food. It is part of a cleaning process, which can take some time.

Hi Madcat,

You might consider changing the brand of soap your using...also any type of natural astringent may help. If there's a naturopathy store nearby, you might try there for something over the counter, otherwise tea (tea leaves + water) is also a mild natural astringent. There's a brand of soap known as Basis which may help as well...I tried looking on-line for the company's home page, but couldn't find it so I can't tell you if they test on animals or not. Hope this helps.

The tea tree oil is only helping a little. Maybe it would be better if I bought the oil and diluted it down my self… I don’t know how much is really in this soap. As for changing soaps, I really have tried many different kinds, nothing seems to make a big difference. Would my skin still be detoxing after so long? In the last 3 years it has steadily gotten worse.

Hi madcat,

I am puzzled because when I gave up dairy my skin actually got better (though it went through that detox stage for a while). So i cannot really help you out because I am puzzled a lil.

But I can tell you that if you are acne prone, anything you put on your face should be labelled

"non-comedogenic" are "non-acnegenic" .

does that help at all? or did you already know that.

sorry i cannot be of greater help. but definetly try the apple vinegar remedy that nobbi swears by. and good luck!!

Hey Madcat,

Just wondering how old you are and if the acne you have is localized to your face or is all over your body. I agree with you that it's probably not detox. which usually wouldn't last 3 yrs. If what you describe is acne, part of what makes people prone to it is genetics, and it's usually not ass. with sunlight, poor hygene, or exersice. The good news is that most people eventually grow out of it. I would suggest however, that you go to your family doc or a dermatologist just to make sure what you have is acne...sometimes what looks like typical acne actually isn't. He can best asscess that by asking you a bunch of questions and examining the "acne" and looking at where it's located. Then, based on his diagnosis you can choose whether you want to opt for his treatment or to do things another way. He should also be able to guide you on places to get naturopathic info. regarding acne.

I also agree with compassionategirl in making sure that you are applying things that are non-comedogenic yourself.

At any rate,

Good Luck and Take Care,

Kris

Thanks for all the info. I am a 24 year old female. I never had a problem with acne as a teen, well maybe a brake out every now and then but nothing major. For a while I thought maybe it was from stress; I work full time, school part time, I have a four year old son, working out, looking for a new job, and spending time with my boyfriend. During the summer I tried to just focus on my job and a strength building routine, but there has been no improvement. I don’t feel stressed out right now. I have been getting lots of sun all summer and that made a little improvement. The acne is only on my face, I don’t wear any cover up or anything like that that could be aggravating my skin. The only person in my family who I know has had an issue is my cousin. She takes that crazy prescription that could cause terrible birth defects. (I don’t see how something that could be that harmful to a fetus could be safe to take). I just started taking the apple vinegar last night… it tastes so bad.

Your right, stress and hormones can also aggrevate acne. There are many medications that you could consider that don't have extremely bad side effects...like topical antibiotics, for example. So, don't be turned off just b/c the particular med that your cousin takes has such harsh side effects. Your age and history lean towards typical acne, but a doc. would be able to tell you for sure if something else were causing the acne.

Oh, the tea leaves I suggested are to be used on the skin, not ingested for their effects. Personally, I've noticed that foods extremely high in calories and fattycan also cause me to break out...mangoes, for example, can do that to me...not like they're ever so abundant around here. Over time I think it will get better...

Well, if I find something else helpful I'll chime in. Till then,

Take Care,

Kris

i have had acne on and of for 8 yrs and i went on roaccutane which is the drug you are referring to in terms of birth defects, it CAN only cause problems if you get pregnant on whilst on the drug,yes it is off putting and a powerfull drug but i dont regreat it all it works very very well and for me the less of two evils.

everyone is different so talk to a dermatologist as they are the only people who can give you the drug as your liver function has to be monitored as it is very high Vit A.

alot of people have had children after taking this drug i wouldnt worry about that however it is a personal descision as to weather you want to take it.

Hey guys,

unfortunately I too suffer from acne and my vegan diet has so far not helped!

I've had it for 10 years now and I'm now 26! It's really annoying although mine is not that bad besides the shoulders area. I've tried different treatments and I'm currently taking some antibiotics which seem to help but I don't think they'll make it go away. If this doesn't work my dermatologist suggested I try reoaccutane which apparently should work. It's a strong medicine though and I'm a bit worried because the treatment lasts 4 months. Does anyone know if one can still drink protein shakes whilst on the drug?

I will look into the applevinegar drink, it sounds interesting.

Hi Cristian,

First things first- Sorry I didnt get a chance to welcome you in your intro thread, so welcome!

I too was put on accutane many many years ago by my dermatologist. yes, it is a strong drug - so strong that if a woman taking it gets pregnant, she would have to have an abortion becuase it would cause birth defects in the baby. While you are on it, the docs will also take occasional blood tests to monitor your liver.

However, despite all of the above, I must say that it DOES work. Amazingly. I havent had any major acne flare ups after my last course of Accutane treatment which was in my twenties.

It is the only 'drug" that worked for me. None of the other antiobiotics or topical meds worked.